By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Visceral Games:"Shame no one bought DS:Extraction, Wii support reconsidered

jlauro said:

It doesn't help that reviewers have messed up their trust. High scores mean little these days, they have hurt consumer confidence by giving such low scores to games like The Conduit. Can't trust early reviews, and the game is so short by the time you get reviews from users you can trust, you get confirmation that DSE is not worth $50, unlike The Conduit which in some ways might not be as polished, but it has a much better online replay value, even at $50.

What makes you think casuals want a rail shooter??? I don't think they do, and if they do, make it like MOHH2, and have a be an optional arcade mode, and not the main game.

I didn't say they want on rails shooters, I said Visceral and EA were trying to make Dead Space more casual by making it on rails (Easier, less jumpy moments, more linear)

Also reviews are subjective, just cause you think that the conduit is good doesn't make it that for everyone else. You make it sound like Reviewers are supposed to be robots.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
ckmlb said:
House of the Dead is not actual horror but it is on rails, just cause there are zombies in it doesn't make it horror. Then I guess Gears of War is a horror game cause there are ugly aliens in it or Dead Rising is a horror game cause you kill zombies.

Do you know some claimed removing the time limit from Chop Till You Drop is actually a disadvantage because not having to watch the clock supposedly detracts from the horror in the game?

I would say it's a negative also, but a time limit doesn't make a it a horror game it just makes it slightly harder.

Horror games: Condemned, Dead Space, Resident Evil 1-3, Silent Hill.

Not Horror games: Left 4 Dead, Resident Evil 4-5, Dead Rising (action games with zombies)

I don't think it's a horror game (just has elements), but how is removing the 3 day time limit a negative?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
ckmlb said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
ckmlb said:
House of the Dead is not actual horror but it is on rails, just cause there are zombies in it doesn't make it horror. Then I guess Gears of War is a horror game cause there are ugly aliens in it or Dead Rising is a horror game cause you kill zombies.

Do you know some claimed removing the time limit from Chop Till You Drop is actually a disadvantage because not having to watch the clock supposedly detracts from the horror in the game?

I would say it's a negative also, but a time limit doesn't make a it a horror game it just makes it slightly harder.

Not Horror games: Left 4 Dead, Resident Evil 4-5, Dead Rising (action games with zombies)

I don't think it's a horror game (just has elements), but how is removing the 3 day time limit a negative?

I liked the limit adds tension to the game at first I hated it but now I am more than happy with it and I hope the new one has one too. It's fine that after you beat the game there's no time limit or if they have the option of time limit or no before you start the game just as long as the people who enjoyed Dead Rising's time limit.

I find it funny that people actually thought this would be a great front loaded seller.
Its on Wii, meaning that, like most games on the system, itll sell slowly, hence the popularization of the term "legs". Not only that, but its a spin-off that lost nearly all of its internet hype after the announcement of it being on-rails. Then there was the minimal gamer site ads (ex, IGN), that in all honesty probably arent worth a damn. No to mention the fact that its a pseudo sequel to a game released on other systems, so there no franchise penetration on the Wii (something thats very import on Wii). And finally, theres that truly atrocious box art.

This might sell a sturdy number (200k) lifetime, permitted it follows good word of mouth.

ckmlb said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
ckmlb said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
ckmlb said:

I liked the limit adds tension to the game at first I hated it but now I am more than happy with it and I hope the new one has one too. It's fine that after you beat the game there's no time limit or if they have the option of time limit or no before you start the game just as long as the people who enjoyed Dead Rising's time limit.

That's not a negative. That's just not a plus for you. It can still matter for a game (like many apparently found the slower pace not a plus for Extraction), but there is a difference.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Around the Network

It would have not been a positive if the original didn't have time limits and I wanted the time limit, it's a negative because the original had it and it was removed making that a negative compared to the orignal version which had it.

Voltaire said:
I find it funny that people actually thought this would be a great front loaded seller.
Its on Wii, meaning that, like most games on the system, itll sell slowly, hence the popularization of the term "legs". Not only that, but its a spin-off that lost nearly all of its internet hype after the announcement of it being on-rails. Then there was the minimal gamer site ads (ex, IGN), that in all honesty probably arent worth a damn. No to mention the fact that its a pseudo sequel to a game released on other systems, so there no franchise penetration on the Wii (something thats very import on Wii). And finally, theres that truly atrocious box art.

This might sell a sturdy number (200k) lifetime, permitted it follows good word of mouth.

200K lifetime from a 9K opening?

i'd expect 15K-20K max....

How many on the rail shooters can one system take? It's just ridiculous how many of these have been pumped out now. I bought both overkill and umbrella chronicles and will not drop another $60 on a game I get 10 hours of playtime out of. I spent $60 on COD:WAW and have played that for over 200 hours.

Third parties have never put a serious effort into the wii so they shouldn't bitch when the 10th on rail shooter for the system fails.

Paul said:
How many on the rail shooters can one system take? It's just ridiculous how many of these have been pumped out now. I bought both overkill and umbrella chronicles and will not drop another $60 on a game I get 10 hours of playtime out of. I spent $60 on COD:WAW and have played that for over 200 hours.

Third parties have never put a serious effort into the wii so they shouldn't bitch when the 10th on rail shooter for the system fails.

i disagree with that, some have and that certain game didnt end up selling

ckmlb said:
It would have not been a positive if the original didn't have time limits and I wanted the time limit, it's a negative because the original had it and it was removed making that a negative compared to the orignal version which had it.

I first wrote about a disadvantage, not a removal. The fact that people did complain about the time limit is why it was removed (same with Otis's damn cell calls).