By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Visceral Games:"Shame no one bought DS:Extraction, Wii support reconsidered

@ Dark Chaos:

The game really didn't have any advertising though.  You shouldn't mistake Nintendo mentioning it at E3 with it having an actual marketing campaign. I believe it's a good game (I just bought it), but it was already doomed. RE:UC sold because it was a good game and had the "RESIDENT EVIL" name attached. That's the same reason why the sequel will sell too.

Around the Network
Farmageddon said:
Mr_Power said:
Sherlock99 said:
i'm just waiting for a price drop, i'm not paying $50 for a rail shooter

but you'd pay 50$ for NSMBW? Considering that game probably had about a 5th of the development time, a much easier to program engine, and significantly less polish, I bet it would totally be worth 50$.

Its worth about  15.99$.

Boy, you fail so hard I had to create an account just to post this.

Really, let's compare an 5 hours or something kind of story oriented on rails shooter, wich is by the way a crowded genre, with low replay value with what could come to be the best 2D mario ever. With multiplayer. That's bound to be a good idea. DS:E is a nice little game, but NSMBW is such a potential masterpiece that DS:E sucks by comparsion.

The engine is easy to program? Well, the level design is bound to be masterfull. Also, so what? You mean if anyone makes a game that is really, really hard to program but plays like crap I should pay a lot for that instead of buying a great game that has a simpler engine? Right.

You equal production value to shiny 3D graphics with mature style, you're obviously a moron. Even your name says it all.

Trolling on wii brings new members cofirmed

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

still waiting on those games. That being said, i still feel the developers are totally in the wrong here.

Kenology said:

@ Dark Chaos:

The game really didn't have any advertising though.  You shouldn't mistake Nintendo mentioning it at E3 with it having an actual marketing campaign. I believe it's a good game (I just bought it), but it was already doomed. RE:UC sold because it was a good game and had the "RESIDENT EVIL" name attached. That's the same reason why the sequel will sell too.

I understand that the advertising wasnt there and it would have sold more if theres was a few more ads. I am just annoyed when ppl use excuses as its not a good game or its too short or too many rail shooters as an excuse when the developers make a great hardcore game for the Wii that didn't sell well.

Dark Chaos said:
Kenology said:

@ Dark Chaos:

I understand that the advertising wasnt there and it would have sold more if theres was a few more ads. I am just annoyed when ppl use excuses as its not a good game or its too short or too many rail shooters as an excuse when the developers make a great hardcore game for the Wii that didn't sell well.

It still has the holiday season, so it may still post some decent numbers when all is said and done.  I think the dev was a little premature with his statement to be honest.

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
trestres said:
October 19, 2009 by The News Team Filed Under: Wii

The following comes from a Visceral Games staffer, who happened to be posting on GAF...

It is a shame nobody bought this. As much as everyone made fun of Frank Gibeau's "experiment" it will actually influence the SKU plan with respect to the Wii just like he said in his interview.

I really don't get why people are avoiding this game. Does no one read the reviews or check out the footage? This is an absolutely fantastic game. There's no other on-rails shooter that comes even close to what this project pulled off. Please, leave a comment and let me know why you shied away from the title. It looks like Wii fans are going to miss out on anything like this from EA in the future.

Link

I guess it's a shame Wii owners are not buying everything that is thrown out as a test.

Yes...because every time quality games come out, you guys don't buy them. So when a developer knows they're taking a risk, they let the consumers know. Then, it turns out that the product is quality, and not just some shovelware, and you guys still don't buy.

It really is a shame, because you've failed all the "tests" so far. 3rd parties doubted the Wii, so none of their big projects come to the Wii. When a good game finally does, you don't buy.

Yes, shame

This is my point. The games just don't sell. So this argument is rubbish. They knew all along there was no market on the wii and I don't know why they bothered with the game.

People in this thread have used the "Only FPS sell on HD consoles" argument a few posts back, I dont care enough to find it, but its there. Likewise, only exercise and casual games sell on the wii. I mean, you can turn this both ways, it isnt true in either case. There, however is a building case for core games not selling on the wii. There hasn't been a single third party game that wasn't a massive name like resident evil to get PROPER (Ie; respectable sales for the quality of the  title) on the wii. This is just a fact. Likewise, this exists on HD consoles as well. Uncharted 2 being a perfect and relevant example. The game deserves 8-9million. It is just as good a game as any zelda game, any brawl game, or any halo game. Its the same calibur of game but it just doesn't sell.

It doesnt nessecarily mean anything is bad about your System I love the wii, there's no games on it worth playing for me as I own a game cube, but I'll surely get one with Zelda Wii. That being said, the FACT that these games don't sell well is the POINT of this thread. Stop calling me a troll, a developer whines about not getting sales and all i said is one look at the market data and your game obviously will not sell well, there is no market for it! why do you keep denying this?!

The nintendo wii has the largest install base of the home consoles, the only reasonable excuse for amazing titles like No more heroes and little kings story not selling well is that there simply isnt a market, if there was one, they'd sell! Dead space extraction is no different.

The visuals are better than anything any other developer has put out besides capcom and monster hunter tri.  The game is on rails, but there's not much else you can do with the hardware.

let me be a little more elaborate about that last point. Games like metroid prime work without rails because in essence its not a shooter. jerk reactions are not required. its more like a point and click adventure game in the sense that you don't need to be very accurate and the game moves very slowly. Dead Space: Extraction is very fast paced, there is no way the controls would work, they are too inaccurate.

The Conduit was basically a rail shooter. It was endless hallways with enimies that barely moved. Its hardly a competent fps. You just push him along, but you never have any freedom of movement. Motion controls will restrict your game design when making a shooter until they are much more accurate.

Stop calling dead space extraction a bad job, the game is good. Its just as good as all the other shooters on the wii. Resident evil 4 being the only one thats better and even the re4 is a rail shooter with slow movement.

I already set my mind to not buy this game when I saw it being on rail, I like what they did, but I also know it could have been a full blown 3rd person shooter type game on Wii, so they can kiss my ass.

Garcian Smith said:
woopah said:
dead space fans were put off my console choice
core wii gamers were put off by genre
lightgun fans put off by price point

who exactly are they selling this game to?

Good question.

A good product is marketed like this: "Hey, look at all of these cool bells and whistles that you'll get if you buy [product]! [Product] is awesome!"

Most of the "test games" for the Wii from third parties have been marketed to core Wii gamers like this: "Buy [product] if you want to see more of [product category]. And we swear that the next [product] will be better than this half-hearted effort! All we need are sales of this one!"

Do you see what's wrong with this picture? Third parties are marketing their core-market "test games" to nobody. The only incentive that they present for buying one of these "test games" is to see other games on the core market. They think that consumers (core-market consumers in particular, but also consumers in general) are stupid enough to throw their money away on a product that has no discernable benefit to them except for a vague promise of something better in the future that you'll have to pay even more money for.

Basically, they're approaching the whole concept wrong. If they had released a game that consumers wanted for its own benefits, they would have succeeded. But this "test game" garbage is nothing more than negative marketing, and time and again the sales numbers have shown that it doesn't work because consumers are too smart to fall for it. And then, each and every time, the developers or publishers of the "test game" wring their hands and state, "Look! There's no market for core games on the Wii!"

In reality, they're just self-fulfilling their own dire prophecies.

Excellent posts.  Both of you.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Dark Chaos said:
jlauro said:
BMaker11 said:
And why is there bitching about it being on-rails. Wasn't Umbrella Chronicles on rails? Didn't many Wii owners buy that game?

DS: Extraction is a half hearted game, how now?

People bought UC because there wasn't much else to choose from at the time.  There are plenty of other games available now for the Wii.

Plenty?? If you mean 2-3 decent rail shooters in 3 years as plenty then ur definition of plenty is completely wrong. Plus DS:E has gotten higher ratings than previous on rail shooters like RE:UC, HOTD2/3.

I love how people are suddenly calling this a half hearted game and no advertising and too many rail shooters when this is one of the best looking games, best rated rail shooter and even Nintendo advertised it at E3.

You miss my point...  The word "GREAT" does not ever belong with On Rail Shooter.

and by plenty, I mean dozens, just none of them being On Rail Shooters.