By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Visceral Games:"Shame no one bought DS:Extraction, Wii support reconsidered

inverted3reality said:
still waiting to see what third party non nintendo non casual games sell well on the wii. No more heroes is the top seller.

I guess the only ones are house of the dead and resident evil.

Still waitng for the goal posts to stop moving and the delusions to stop spinning.

No More Heroes is Wii exclusive and so is its sequel. Get over it.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network
inverted3reality said:
still waiting to see what third party non nintendo non casual games sell well on the wii. No more heroes is the top seller.

I guess the only ones are house of the dead and resident evil.

Seeing how you conveniently dodged my reply on your post, I doubt you'll respond to this, but I'll take it.

LEGO Star Wars 2.81M
Sonic and the Secret Rings 2.06M
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition 1.62M
Star Wars The Force Unleashed 1.40M
Tiger Woods 08 1.35M
Shaun White 1.32M
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles 1.30M
Call of Duty World at War 1.28M
Super Monkey Ball 1.28M
LEGO Indiana Jones 1.27M
Call of Duty 3 1.21M
Tiger Woods 09 1.21M
Red Steel 1.19M
House of the Dead 2/3 1.09M
LEGO Batman 1.08M
Sonic Unleashed 1.02M
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 1.02M

And those are only the million sellers. 95% of Wii games are profitable at 300k+

See one thing I DISPRAISE about this site sometimes is it starts to become a "console war" after a while when you're discussing a valid point, i.e: Why Dead Space (not other games) didn't sale to the expectations of EA.

"Wii is for causals!" "3rd party core games don't sale!" "Blah, blah blah!" It's lame to the fullest.

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

Dark Chaos said:
mrjuju said:

This game was in Nintendos E3 conference as one of the big third party games. Try again

Lack of effort. Last time I checked its getting 83 on Metacritic. Far from a fail. Try again

IGN

Extraction isn’t like its 360 brother, but it is a true Dead Space experience, and the game is not only packed with content, but also very polished.

GameSpot

This story-focused on-rails shooter is a worthy follow-up to Dead Space that delivers the same sorts of thrills, chills, and kills, but in a whole new way.

Face it. The wii is mainly bought by casual owners who don't look at reviews

Oh, my bad, a 5 minute plug at a gaming convention is totally going to win over the people who don't pay attention to the gaming media.

You don't have to be a marking wizz to see the problem here, most people don't go online and look on gaming websites, we are a minority. No matter what system you look at, most people look for advertisments to sway their purchacing decisions. When you don't advertise, you don't sell as a general rule. Do you think Sega regreted sneaking the Saturn into store shelves without fanfare? Do you think the develpers of Moon for the DS wished they had a few more comercials here and there? Of course they do, advertising sells, not hype, not the internet fanboys, not ratings, advertising.

As for lack of effort, I was sort of making a generalization of many third party develpers at this point, however i will contend that the amount of effort put into this game was far, far less than what was put into the original, far less than what would have been put into for the PS3 or Xbox versions as well.

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Check out my daily drawings here and help keep me on task!

should have been a new IP. i reckon a TPS wii exclsuive IP could have been much more profitable

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Around the Network

and more "no i don't wand a just an rail shooter" and wii is casual *yop go go ps3 or 360 portage*

many HD user who have wii too use this just to have nintendo games and multiples player games....the are casaul gamer sorry.

Soriku said:

lol, this game was sent out to die. The game's a prequel to a game that came out on the HD consoles (and didn't even sell a whole lot to begin with) and it's on rails which people didn't want. The game wasn't hyped at all. Other on rail shooters on the Wii have done well like RE and HotD but this one just dropped the ball.

I don't think this factor has been stressed enough in this case. Not only is it a niche-genre spin-off, it's a niche-genre spin-off to a franchise that relatively few people care about anyway.

But another factor that we're not looking at is Wii Sales patterns. A lot of Wii games started off with absolutely pitiful early sales, and they're making these declarations and judgements right off the bat.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

woopah said:
dead space fans were put off my console choice
core wii gamers were put off by genre
lightgun fans put off by price point

who exactly are they selling this game to?

Firstly this.

Reading the comments from the developer, or whoever it was in the opening post, makes me me wonder if he even thought about what he was saying. 

Let's not kid ourselves here and even suggest that we are talking about a AAA game or even something close to it. This is a DECENT rails shooter and nothing more, and no, you weren't fooling anyone by calling it a guided blah blah blah.

The Wii has plenty of decent games and if i was going to look at reviews before i considered my next purchase then i could find ~30 games still not in my games library that are rated better than this.  They didn't have the brand name to get casuals and rating and genre-wise they screwed themselves out of the core market on the Wii. Also, did they even advertise?

Why aren't Nintendo fans getting DS:Extraction? Because we know when we are being insulted with halfhearted developer efforts. Maybe if Visceral were to actually put forth a sincere effort on a Nintendo console, fans would go for it. DS:Extraction does not qualify.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Millennium said:
Why aren't Nintendo fans getting DS:Extraction? Because we know when we are being insulted with halfhearted developer efforts. Maybe if Visceral were to actually put forth a sincere effort on a Nintendo console, fans would go for it. DS:Extraction does not qualify.

There I disagree. It was a half hearted effort by EA, but I don't think it was a half hearted effort by Visceral (except if, like many, you think any on-rails game is a half hearted effort).

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin