By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog : Uncharted would have been a different game without the PS3.

Great read, it's nice to see a developer really use the strengths of the PS3

Follow Me: twitter.com/alkamiststar

Watch Me: youtube.com/alkamiststar

Play Along: XBL & SEN : AlkamistStar

Around the Network

He claims it would have been a different game, yet the only changes he can think of that would be needed are graphics?

Same game, different skin. That's all.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Millennium said:
He claims it would have been a different game, yet the only changes he can think of that would be needed are graphics?

Same game, different skin. That's all.

Really? The physics, interaction with the enviornment, size, sound and voice overs, etc. of the game would have been possible on the SNES? No.

mM

Why are there so many people complaining in this thread? All he said was that the game would be DIFFERENT, which it would be. He didn't say it would be IMPOSSIBLE, like many other game developers say about their games....

scottie said:
TGolem said:
by the logic that scottie uses no matter how technically advanced a game is it could theoretically be reduced to a mere shadow of the real thing and made into an atari game that looks the same as every other atari game. that argument could be made for every game ever made but it holds no water at all because the game would no longer be as good and that's why we advance the technology in the first place, to make the games better.

You unfortunately missed my point slightly.

I said that I care not for graphics, but only that the gameplay etc are unaffected.

Obviously, the 360 is capable of playing Uncharted2 with some minor graphical adjustments but no change to the gameplay

Equally obvious, the babbage engine is unable to reproduce the gameplay of Uncharted 2.

Even more obvious, then, is the fact that there must be some cutoff. If we arranged all consoles in a line from least powerful to most, there must be one console that can reproduce the gameplay, levels etc of uncharted but with reduced graphics, and one less powerful console that cannot. The SNES has some excellent 3d games with a steady framerate, many enemies on screen and no problems with cutin distance - Super star wars Empire Strikes back landspeeder levels for example. I therefore propose that a game could be made that plays identically to Uncharted 2, with reduced graphics. It will obviously be able to store this on a consle, because the textures can just be simplified until it does. I would like this game pretty much as much as Uncharted 2. I'm not saying you have to, if you like games with good graphics then you shouldn't let anyone tell you that you're wrong.

@ Shoestar - if i am ignorant then I obviously shouldn't even dare respond to you. Your awesome intellect is of course too much for me. if you actually care about hearing my responses to your points, then edit your post and remove the section that calls me ignorant. Don't worry, I'm not going to report you to the mods or anything, so feel free to keep it there if you think it's all that important to insult someone who disagrees with you on the internet

Why would I not call a cat, 'a cat'... You are being ignorant at not knowing the limitations of cartridges. It is not as if I was insulting you or anything else. If someone has blue hair, then I should not say they have blue hair because that is insulting? If you persist at making ill-researched comments/posts that scream out your knowledge limitations, then you should not be afraid of being ridiculed either and do feel free to report as you wish. 

I am a Gamer... I play games and not consoles. I have a PC and Console on which I game... I like games. End of Story!

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
I don't see why people have gotten edgy in here. The man didn't say anything bad about another console, if anything he's cheer-leading his team's efforts with the console that they'll only be working on from here on out until the next PlayStation releases.

Frankly, I'm glad that we have exclusives like these. They remind me that there are devs WHO DO give a damn about their work and don't just care about the quick buck.

They have my respect, as does any dev who cares about quality 1st!

Because it's a Sony first party dev talking about a PS3 exclusive game and how much the PS3 itself helped the game be what it is.

That's just not fair!

After bungie is porbably planning on making a PS3 game since they went to observe ND...
So in short PS3 FTW

"Rainbird: Why don't Nintendo and Microsoft Copy the Sony Blog?

Bagenome:You can't shoot things on a blog, and babies can't read, so I don't think it would suit either one's target audience."

d21lewis said:
Honestly, do JRPG makers even realize how hard it is to save the world? That shit is impossible!

Are we talking about the same Super Nes that used Mode 7 scaling and rotation? The one that could only render flat surfaces in 3D and couldn't render hills and tunnels without the Super FX chip? The one that had Stunt Race FX and Starfox where you could literally count how many polygons the models were made of?

Wow i never knew this.

Played Uncharted 2 last night and.......THEY'RE RIGHT!

The cutscenes (but you can't tell they're cutscenes because they use the game's engine) are HD FMV's! I went back and watched some of them using the options screen. I said to myself, "Damn, these things are loading fast!" They shouldn't be able to load the environments, characters, and such in less than a second! They had to be videos.

The thing that really gave it away was the character skins. I'd be playing as Doughnut Drake or Chloe, and right in the middle of gameplay, they'd turn back into normal Nathan as something spectacular was happening, and then turn back into Chloe or Doughnut as soon as it ended.

With the amount of FMV and bonus cutscenes (at HD resolution, too), I know the 360 couldn't hold it all on one disc.

I was wrong.