By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog : Uncharted would have been a different game without the PS3.

Naughty Dog co-president Evan Wells has told VG247 that Uncharted 2 wouldn’t have been the game it eventually became without PS3’s unique hardware features.

The exec added, though, that differences between PS3 and Xbox 360 games, in the main, are more the cause of developer talent that hardware factors.

“I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3,” said Wells, talking in an interview published today.

“Great programmers and great artists are going to make a great game. Naughty Dog will continue to push the PlayStation hardware as far as we can.

“We’re fortunate that we get to work on a system that has a hard drive and uses blu-ray for storage. Without these things, Uncharted 2 would have been a very different game. What we were able to do with the Cell processor allowed us to achieve a density of polygons and a fidelity to our effects that would simply not be possible without it.

“But ultimately, if we didn’t have a team of very talented programmers and artists, we wouldn’t have been able to take advantage of the hardware and achieve the results that we did.”

http://www.vg247.com/2009/10/16/uncharted-2-would-have-been-very-different-game-without-blu-ray-hd-cell/

I just love Naughty Dog!

Around the Network

this thread title equals the sentence "the sun will rise tomorrow"

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

My lord! A sony dev talking up the PS3?!?!?! WHAT!

sorry but ND talks up the PS3 every week, seen it before.

everdom said:

Actually, he was representing the quote

"Only possible on the PS3"

Graphics do not make a game, gameplay/plot/controls/everything that's actually important does

Uncharted would have been the same game on the 360, Wii, xbox, GC, PS2, DC, 64, PS1. It could even have been done on the SNES actually, it was certainly capable.

Around the Network
Smashed said:
everdom said:

Actually, he was representing the quote

"Only possible on the PS3"

Hmm i realise that what i said sounded a bit rantish.

Its just that any comments that a first party make about the awesomeness of their respective system just sound like pure PR to me.

Naughty Dog is Naughty!

scottie said:
Graphics do not make a game, gameplay/plot/controls/everything that's actually important does

Uncharted would have been the same game on the 360, Wii, xbox, GC, PS2, DC, 64, PS1. It could even have been done on the SNES actually, it was certainly capable.

Not really. There would be issues over getting all that content in and using the HDD to help eliminate in game loading times. The game would suffer without good graphics. The characters are made that much more real, and that really does help the plot, and your enjoyment of the game

Also, the graphics are really stunning, so much so that your mouth will be hanging open for most of the game, it really does make the game more exciting. Also, the heavy snow with effects your vision would not work properly

This game would not work as well last gen

They can talk all they want as long as they keep pumping out the best games of the decade (Crash, Jak, Uncharted).

They are not really bullshitting that much. The game is designed around using the cell processors, their engine is purposefully built for the PS3, so getting it to work on any other console would be a challenge