By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog : Uncharted would have been a different game without the PS3.

KBG29 said:
@scottie

Explain to me the controller layout for the SNES version of Uncharted 2 using a 3d graphics engine.

Right now I am trying to figure out how I can;

Left anologue stick - Walk / Switch shoulders
Right anologue stick - Look / Aim
L2 - Aim gernade arch / throw gernade
R2 - Reload

Hmm, that's actually a pretty decent point

Around the Network

Uncharted 2 has been done on the SNES:

Looks like Scottie was right....

^They never said it wouldn't be impossible on another console. They said the game as it exists now was designed to take advantage of the PS3 hardware and possible because they have good devs.

In other words, it would be great on ANY console but different depending on the hardware.

silicon said:
^They never said it wouldn't be impossible on another console. They said the game as it exists now was designed to take advantage of the PS3 hardware and possible because they have good devs.

In other words, it would be great on ANY console but different depending on the hardware.

I refuse to let the issue go until someone agrees with me that it would be EXACTLY the same on the 360 -INCLUDING the option for motion controls, the ability to import your Uncharted 1 saves, AND the inclusion of "Triangle, Square, and Circle" buttons on the QTE's.  I will not back down.

d21lewis said:
silicon said:

I refuse to let the issue go until someone agrees with me that it would be EXACTLY the same on the 360 -INCLUDING the option for motion controls, the ability to import your Uncharted 1 saves, AND the inclusion of "Triangle, Square, and Circle" buttons on the QTE's.  I will not back down.

There would be load times as they couldn't use the HDD to help stop loading times. They wouldn't have been able to stick so much in, they have said they are filling up a whole blu-ray disc. It wouldn't look as good.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
kowenicki said:
@tallgeese101

yes.. different... perhaps loading screens maybe...

not worse, not better... different.

We don't know if it would be better or not.

All we know is, it would be "different". That could be a good different or a bad different.

I don't see why people have been arguing in this thread though, tbh.

I agree. Different can be for the good or the bad. Different can't be the same. The x360 camp will always spin this "difference" in a good way and the PS3 a bad.

As we are not likely to ever know why argue.

Munkeh111 said:
d21lewis said:
silicon said:

There would be load times as they couldn't use the HDD to help stop loading times. They wouldn't have been able to stick so much in, they have said they are filling up a whole blu-ray disc. It wouldn't look as good.

It wouldn't look as good? Because of the size of the blu-ray disc?  And, the HDD is necessary to stop loading times?  The game is 10 hours long, the first time through.  And time and time again, as recently as Batman Arkham Asylum, the 360 has been able to handle games without the mandatory hardware install that the PS3 had to have.  Uncharted has a ton of making of videos on the blu-ray that you and I (despite the fact that I used my in-game currency to buy) will NEVER watch.  That's the only advantage of the blu-ray that I can see.  The graphics are great, as I will admit.  I loved the game.  But it wasn't leaps and bounds above anything we haven't seen on the 360.  No insanely varied enemy types.  No large, hulking, overly detailed animated creatures.  The place where U2 shined above all others was with its amazing voice work, characterization, and choice of camera angles.  Hardly anything hardware related.

Worse case scenario would've been a second disc with special features/multi player.

*and my previous post was a thinly veiled attempt at humor...........

scottie said:
Graphics do not make a game, gameplay/plot/controls/everything that's actually important does

Uncharted would have been the same game on the 360, Wii, xbox, GC, PS2, DC, 64, PS1. It could even have been done on the SNES actually, it was certainly capable.

While it may not be important to you as a gamer, a lot can be said for immersion. I think you would agree that both art style and the graphics can aid in immersing the player. Whether it'd be through a sense of realism (Uncharted 2) or a sense of wonder (Zelda), immersion can help to create an atmosphere. And for many people, the proper atmosphere can affect the player more than the plot or its characters (Shadow of the Colossus).

Whether or not you preffered ALttP, playing OoT for the first time felt different. Likewise, I don't think Uncharted 2 could have been esentially the same game had it been done on the SNES.

Oh please, if KILLZONE 2 didn't have its graphics, it would have been another mediocore ip like the original killzone .

Thats why KILLZONE 1 was mediocore, it didn't have the system to back up the game, the graphics were sub par, and the framerate was constantly chugging behind, and countless more things that the graphics played a part in.

KILLZONE 2 on the other hand, has the most immersive atmosphere i've seen in a game, and that alone made me want to play it.

mM
scottie said:
Graphics do not make a game, gameplay/plot/controls/everything that's actually important does

Uncharted would have been the same game on the 360, Wii, xbox, GC, PS2, DC, 64, PS1. It could even have been done on the SNES actually, it was certainly capable.

Really? The physics, interaction with the enviornment, size, sound and voice overs, etc. of the game would have been possible on the SNES? No.