By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog : Uncharted would have been a different game without the PS3.

gameover said:

now go waste your time with this overrated tomb raider meets gears of war clone and come here after 4 months complaining that the game wasnt that amazing..

Wait, isn't the byproduct of merging two different things the exact opposite of cloning?

It's no different from what almost every developer does: borrow from the public domain. I certainly don't understand how that would be considered a fault of the game so long as it does it well - which it does. Really well.

Around the Network

They talk about this a lot, but it's a good point. If they had to try to develop it as a cross-platform game, it wouldn't have been as good as an experience, since they got to focus on pushing the limits of the PS3 hardware

gameover said:
i played it yesterday and this game is super hyped...
another effort from the press to save the ps3
especially the multiplayer is a joke
reminded me of the conduit and shits like that i mean cmon lol are we in 1995?
this game doesnt deserve a score more than 7 or 8/10
boring
i cant believe some people here comparing it to Halo
no comments

Why did you feel the need to post that in my thread?

pearljammer said:
gameover said:

now go waste your time with this overrated tomb raider meets gears of war clone and come here after 4 months complaining that the game wasnt that amazing..

Wait, isn't the byproduct of merging two different things the exact opposite of cloning?

It's no different from what almost every developer does: borrow from the public domain. I certainly don't understand how that would be considered a fault of the game so long as it does it well - which it does. Really well.

Exactly, i could easily say: Halo is an overrated Quake 3 meets Unreal Tournament meets Myth meets Metroid clone... But what's the point?, every developer has influences and as long as it's not an obvious copy (in that case the companies will take care of that) it's fine...

If you go into bonus and buy the making of features, they go on about how they used lots of assembly level programming for the game - you've got to wonder how many developers would actually get that down and gritty with the PS3 hardware. They talk about how they spu's handle the blur filter making it incredibly accurate to as you were viewing something in real life, which is a strong point for the graphics - most games don't do this very well. Most of the post processing/lighting was taken off the GPU this game that's why they're pushing models with 80k polygons. I don't even think naughty dog really bothers thinking, what if it was on 360... because it will never be they're owned by sony, they only think about how to optimize the PS3 hardware to make their game the best it can look. We'll never know what they would have been able to achieve on 360, if the game was exclusive to 360. These guys do have a talent for creating colorful vibrant worlds - i mean look at crash bandicoot and what it did that no one else was doing on PS1. It actually does remind me of how U2 looks in some ways.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
silicon said:
^They never said it wouldn't be impossible on another console. They said the game as it exists now was designed to take advantage of the PS3 hardware and possible because they have good devs.

In other words, it would be great on ANY console but different depending on the hardware.

I refuse to let the issue go until someone agrees with me that it would be EXACTLY the same on the 360 -INCLUDING the option for motion controls, the ability to import your Uncharted 1 saves, AND the inclusion of "Triangle, Square, and Circle" buttons on the QTE's.  I will not back down.

It couldn't be exactly the same since they optimized it for the PS3 but that doesn't mean it would be a bad game on the X360 just different. They would need to follow MS rule that it can't have a manditory install, and DVDs do have less room than a Blu-ray. That being said X360 does have more ram and benefits more from the graphics card it has (I'm not sure what the specifics are but it does).

kowenicki said:
@tallgeese101

yes.. different... perhaps loading screens maybe...

not worse, not better... different.

Really?? Have yet to see a 360 game on 4 disc (3 dual layer + 1 single for 25 gb), the limit is 3 no? So they would have had to either compress or shorten the game + disc swap each 3 hours. I think, without getting ahead of myself that in either case the game would be a bit worse.

Steroid said:
They took advantage of the PS3's strengths. I don't see how anyone would be offended by this. Most likely yes the game would need to be downgraded if it got ported to 360. It was specifically built around the PS3. That's not saying the 360 is weak by any means, but it's different, they aren't "twins" as we have come to believe.

Let's wait for a game like Halo reach or something then we'll be able to see what the 360 can do with a game built for 360 from the ground up.

Alan Wake has been build specifically for 360, its been 5 years in development and real gameplay doesnt look too good. I really hope they can do better with Halo reach tho.

gameover said:
i played it yesterday and this game is super hyped...
another effort from the press to save the ps3
especially the multiplayer is a joke
reminded me of the conduit and shits like that i mean cmon lol are we in 1995?
this game doesnt deserve a score more than 7 or 8/10
boring
i cant believe some people here comparing it to Halo
no comments

LOL, PS3 is receiving bad press since the release back in 2006, its 1 of the major reason why PS3 didnt get success before in america.

Well on the game's "extras" The development team said that each character has 20million polygons!!!