By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamespot: All Time Greatest VG Hero, The Final.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
If Freeman beat link, he'll beat Mario, though with only 2 games under his belt, plus the fact that he's a nameless, and besides advertising faceless hero with nothing but coverart and cameo's to pronounce his greatness, the real question is, which game is better. Mario, Zelda, or Half-Life.

Well, since this is a PC poll, guess which one wins?

In reality, 2 amazing AAA games can never be better than 5. Especially when at least 2 of those games reinvented gaming as we know it. No, Mario is better. Mario has changed things. Link has changed things. Freeman just improved what's already there with epic quality and design. What we have here is PC fanboys being driven to vote with an add campaign. Link, nor Mario, need an ad campaign to prove their greatness. 5 is greater than 2.

The problem with that though, is that the constest isn't about who had the greatest games.

Gordon Freeman has beat Solid Snake, Link and is looking to beat Mario.

You can hate on him, but he has taken down probably the 3 favourites from the entire competition.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Carl2291 said:
Crazymann said:
What a joke!

Well, this is the first time I've looked at Gamespot in 2 years, so I guess they suckered me into looking. I find it interesting that so many PS3 fans would vote for Freeman (a Valve property)... so much short sightedness. Not to mention that the winning character will be primarily a PC character.

How Freeman beat LINK is beyond me. Yay for internet polls.

Valve held/ are holding a campaign for Gordon to win on Steam.

Anyone who played Half Life, will probably vote Gordon.

Nintendo doesn't always have to win everything.

Hmm, interesting. I would think that anyone who played SMW, SMB, SMBIII, SM64, or SMG, would vote for Mario....

I mean, Half Life if great and one of the best games of all time, but it's not much better than anyone of those, if at all.....I mean, hell.

It was a pretty stupid thing for me to say tbh. Im glad you called me out on it.

What i was supposed to say was that any neutral's who played Half Life will probably vote for Gordon.

This is the biggest bullsh*t. How does some guy who I have hardly heard of is winning against Mario? No wonder IGN does it by reviewers and not stupid people.

Gordfon Freeman easily.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Carl2291 said:
Crazymann said:
What a joke!

Well, this is the first time I've looked at Gamespot in 2 years, so I guess they suckered me into looking. I find it interesting that so many PS3 fans would vote for Freeman (a Valve property)... so much short sightedness. Not to mention that the winning character will be primarily a PC character.

How Freeman beat LINK is beyond me. Yay for internet polls.

Valve held/ are holding a campaign for Gordon to win on Steam.

Anyone who played Half Life, will probably vote Gordon.

Nintendo doesn't always have to win everything.

Hmm, interesting. I would think that anyone who played SMW, SMB, SMBIII, SM64, or SMG, would vote for Mario....

I mean, Half Life if great and one of the best games of all time, but it's not much better than anyone of those, if at all.....I mean, hell.

I have played them all, still Freeman. Mario is great and all, but ;et's face it, he jumps on enemies and maybe flies around. The best contender for Freeman would have been Solid Snake, except that MGS4 was 10 hours of crappy movie while Freeman's entire personality is based on whaat YOU make it out to be, by showing not telling. Then again he's against an inter-galactic, inter-dimensional, congolmarate of aliens that consume everything, and still manages to win, crowbar in hand.

If you had to compare how they were written, as if they were novels, Freeman beats out MANY characters, and link comes close to him, except that he does the same thing over and over and over and over. Point being, go go Freeman and games should follow Valve's way of exposition and story telling, not Kojima's ( I could have watched ANY trilogy of great movies in the time their cutscenes ended).

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network

He may not be very famous, but Ark from Terranigma would pwn most heroes.

Here's what I'm not getting. If all of them are voiceless avatars representing yourself, and it's not about whose game is better, then why are we voting for Freeman? At least with Mario and Link, you get to see them in the actual game. Gordon, despite a cameo as a reflection, is just a face on the GotY edition of HL1, lol.

We could very well vote for the boy from SotC, if this were the case...but he didn't have a name or a boxart with his face, so isn't this whole idea kinda generic and meaningless?

I think that this IS based on the quality of the game.

And to be more specific, I think in many people's eyes, this is about trying to prove something about PC gaming superiority.

Once again, Gordon Freeman is very much a console man now. Either way, a console character, though with PC roots, will win this. There are no PC exclusive characters on the list. Especially if this isn't about any specific game, but a specific character. So remember that before celebration. There are no PC exclusive characters that could win this, and the top 10, I would venture to guess, would be 9 console exclusive, vs 1 multiplat character.

Another thing to remember, is that valve is running an ad campaign for Freeman.

Also, this poll is taking place on the internet, giving the advantage to PC game avatars, imo.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Freeman is not a console man.

And just because they dont talk doesn't mean they dont have character. Gorden is teeming with character.

no PC exclusive character? Just because next gen consoles have caught up enough to merit using the game on the console doesn't mean hes a console character.

As much as I like Gordon, I'm going with Mario !

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Frankly, I lost my faith in this character contest when Manny Calavera was beaten by Dante in the first round. And Threepwood being beaten by Wander. And Abe being beaten by Ryu. And Leon Kennedy beating JC Denton. I could probably go on.

Be of good cheer!