By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - For those claiming PSP Go didn't flop it's time to step up

MAFKKA said:
It cant be a success either, since you cant define success. Its all symantics.

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

Wrong again, you can define success by measuring against a known standard, in this case, the DS Lite. You really are trying to hard.

Oh, and Hybrid cars are irrelevant, there is no REAL standard to hold them to, stop trying to derail the thread.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

Around the Network
ironman said:
MAFKKA said:

Wrong again, you can define success by measuring against a known standard, in this case, the DS Lite. You really are trying to hard.

Oh, and Hybrid cars are irrelevant, there is no REAL standard to hold them to, stop trying to derail the thread.

I think you are the one trying too hard. DS =/= PSP...

@ironman:
So if we measure it against another known standard, the result may vary.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Flop or not it makes money. Hardware and especially softwarewise. If you prefer 3000 good for you. It's still on the market. Also let's wait for Japan.

letsdance said:
ironman said:
MAFKKA said:

I think you are the one trying too hard. DS =/= PSP...

First off, if you cannot measure something against a solid known standard, then you will get a variable reading. Secondly, Look at the Console wars, Console sales are constantly being pitted up against eachother, and that is seen as a fair comparison, so I ask you, How is the DS Lite being compaiered to the PSP Go any differant? I already told you that both are "improved" models of the origional and both are handhelds, it just makes sence to compair the two. I don't know what the first week sales for the DS Lite are, nor do I care, I'm just saying, it makes more sence than holding it to the producers expectations.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Around the Network

th known standard to compare it to is the psp. You really are just trying way to hard.

Reasonable said:
I don't think it flopped because I bet it's sales are more or less what Sony expected. The Go is an experiment, a companion model to the current PSP aimed at catching the early adopters for a totally digital model.

The Go cannot be compared to the Slim, a new model replacing the old, nor even the DSi (although I agree with Darth that seems the closest) because the DSi is also more of a new model than a total change of direction targeting a minority.

In the end the only way I see something as a flop is if it fails in achieving the goals set by it's company
. Everything I've seen from Sony around the Go indicates to me it's performing as expected.

The issue I believe is that launching so close to Slim, everyone thinks its supposed to drive a big boost in sales in the same manner. It's not. It's aimed at a small number of early adopters (something it's price makes all too clear) whereas the Slim pricing makes it all to clear it is aimed at a larger majority than the PS3 models it is replacing.

I like the basic design of the Go but have no desire to switch, having a PSP with essentially the same features, a bigger screen plus access to both digital and physical media. But I can see that it is not the latest PSP model (in that it does not attempt to improve on the current PSP) nor is it meant to boost PSP sales (as explained already).

Bingo!

Flopped to OUR standards, perhaps. Flopped to Sony's, apparently not. As you said, this is an experiment, COMPLETELY unlike the Slim. Darth is the closest to it though...

letsdance said:
th known standard to compare it to is the psp. You really are just trying way to hard.

Well what was the PSP compaired to? I asked you that, you gave me no answer, besides do we compair sales of new console SKU's with the sales of the previous SKUs, or do we continue to compair them to the competition. The PSP just works out too well for you, Keeps it all in the same company, so basically there is no competition, and no real standard, Who's to say if the origional PSP was a flop or not? I am warning you now, nobody short of Sony fanboys are going to take you seriously if you compare the product to the older version.

Past Avatar picture!!!

So you are telling me you and the majority of people expected the Go to increase sales 400% of the PSP and start selling on par with the DS? LOL... okay... now I know you're trolling.

You and the majority expected a higher priced DD only system to go from the worse selling system to the best... LOL...

You and the majority expected the PSP Go to spark intrest and intice an extra 300k people weekly to purchase a PSP... LOL!

You and the majority expected the PSP Go to just start crushing a monopoly that was in place for 20 years now. LOL! Oh man... this is good.

There is little to compare the Go too. It isn't really a new model in the traditional sense - rather, it's been designed to support a new retail channel exclusively.

I'm not aware of any other product recently that you could compare it to, other than early adopter 'gadgets' in general and any public comments from Sony

Therefore I don't see it flopping as Sony said it was priced/aimed at early adopters, that initial sales are as expected and it seems to have sold okay for a new gadget with a very small potential install base.

I'm not a fan of Go as such, but going by what seems fair assesment of its potential market (small I'd argue) and price point (high I'd argue) it's sales seem pretty much what you'd expect.

It's how its received over time that is the critical test for something like the Go. Will the demand for the device grow or not, and will we see people switch from PSP with UMD/digital to Go?

That is the question IMHO.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...