By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Who here is still excited for the release of Project Natal next year?

I'm about as excited as I am for Sony wand and the Wii mote.

I really don't care for motion controls. I like the way Sony and MS are doing it more than Nintendo though. Hopefully they give a choice again next gen and not just stuff it in with no DS4 or xbox controller.

Around the Network

There are several cool things that Natal has going for it that sticks it out from the crowd.

1. One device allows for at least 4 players to play. No need for controllers for each person.

2. 1:1 space mapping. Move forward and to the left 1 foot in real life, your in game character matches the movement. This can be applied to many sports, dodgeball being one I would most like to see created. This is also unique with Natal as it can map you legs and feet so environmental hazards can be created that must be avoided by stepping or hopping over them.

3. 48 points skeletal system. Arms, legs, hands, feet, head, neck, all of them are tracked for each player. This allows for some interesting gameplay. Catch a ball, kick a ball, head butt a ball, butt hit a ball, no need for relying on balance peripherals to guess where the head is. It is where it is.

4. Vocal recognition out of the box. If Natal is there, developers know that this capability is there. Vocal recognition is not new, but having it standard and universal is a major thing. No need for an internet connection to download a patch to allow for this functionality. They also will have an SDK for this so no need to either develop the software or purchase third party software. Having a universal and standard system for vocal recognition makes it easier and more likely for developers to utilize it. Even if only playing with the controller games can make use of this.

5. Facial recognition. Same reasons as vocal recognition.

If I think of more, I will post them.

As far as 360 sales go due to Natal, I could care less as long as the hardware gets support.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
It was announced way too early. They've had a couple months to keep me interested, and they haven't. I really don't care anymore. And it still has an entire year to try to build up hype before it comes out. It will be a huge disappointment due to the hype and the wait, and the lack of interesting software.

Not to mention just about everything in that video was either fake OR really stupid OR it's been done before on the EyeToy. It will be a great input interface for something, but I'm not sure if that's games. Definitely not racing games. And definitely not that Ricochet game (I already have it on the NES, thank you very much).

There will be games talked about and shown well before the launch, Sega themselves said they have games to show early next year, as well has we have E3 2010 which will have playable games, so there is plenty starting early next year to get excited about until launch.

What I find interesting is how developers are supporting project natal more than they did the nintendo wii, and I hear few developers talking about developing games for sony's motion controller so far it seems only sony is really going to support their new controller, I can't wait for next year.

Oh, it's you again. Welcome back.

OT: I think people are overestimating the effect this will have on hardware sales. Come on, it's four years into the generation! How many people are going to buy a console because it has a fancy camera?

The technology looks very impressive, and it would be great if they can get to the artist's render, but this is no Wii-killer, it's not something that will revolutionise gaming, it's just a handy accessory which would work well with certain games and improve the experience, maybe give some variety. Thinking anything else will just lead you into disappointment.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

TRios_Zen said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Natal likely won't do anything in Japan. Worldwide, it might give it a boost, but I really doubt it will make any significant changes in sales. Should be an interesting add-on though. Sadly, it's being overhyped by 360 fans and is bound to disappoint many. Just wait until the thing is at least somewhat close to coming out.

On these boards there are 5 Natal sucks threads for every 1 Natal is cool... personally I'm just not sure how that can be considered over-hyping.

In fact, your estimation that it will have no effect in Japan, and very little effect everywhere else, seems MUCH more in tune with the sentiment of the majority of folks on VGChartz.  I mean honestly, HOW many people are there here REALLY over-hyping this?

On topic, I'm excited to hear what GAMES they announce for Natal.  I think the evolution of the controller (as brought to the mainstream by the success of Wii) is important to the development life-cycle of videogames going forward.  IF (a big IF), Natal is a possible future of that evolution, yeah, then yes it would be cool to "be on the ground floor" so to speak.

I don't expect it to magically generate sales though.  If the games are good and it offers new (and fun) experiences, you should HOPE it succeeds.  IF it doesn't, then we should hope it fails.

Really? Well just show me 5 "Natal Sucks" threads for this thread, and then 5 more for every other positive thread about Natal you find. Go ahead, have a blast.

I don't think it will have a big effect in Japan because the console launched there years ago, and you're not going to see a massive change in opinion for the 360 there when a string of RPGs from big name developers barely made a dent. Now obviously people on Vgchartz that don't even like the 360 won't be hyping or overhyping Natal. But the 360 fans seem so excited that maybe something will draw in those casuals. Let's wait and see. Frankly, it looks like it could be interesting in some situations, but ironically not very versatile.

I hope it fails because I'd rather shoot with a remote than shoot with nothing.

Around the Network
Kantor said:
Oh, it's you again. Welcome back.

OT: I think people are overestimating the effect this will have on hardware sales. Come on, it's four years into the generation! How many people are going to buy a console because it has a fancy camera?

The technology looks very impressive, and it would be great if they can get to the artist's render, but this is no Wii-killer, it's not something that will revolutionise gaming, it's just a handy accessory which would work well with certain games and improve the experience, maybe give some variety. Thinking anything else will just lead you into disappointment.

I usually don't agree with anything you say, but this is a good statement.

I just don't see any appeal, I mean people are way over hyping it, It's a nice little distraction, but i don't think it's gonna raise hardware, or anything.

I'm definetly looking forward to its potential, but without any actual GAMES announced, it's hard to be excited about it. I still can't see most genres working with this thing outside from a few niche games.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for new control methods. I love them. Whatever it is, if it's a wacky new way to get me involved with a video game, I'm all for it. But I think re-launching and re-branding a console with a new control method 5 years later is really stupid and domed to failure. Especially when it's by a company that's been talking shit about motion controls for 5 years straight. It means they've been lying and working on this at the same time. That's insulting.

im very interested in its potential. However im not yet excited as i dont know what kind of support it will have. Heres hoping that theres a few AAA games that release with it

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!!