By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Who here is still excited for the release of Project Natal next year?

nightsurge said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
nightsurge said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Are you guys seriously arguing over whether this camera is a double camera, triple camera, super camera, or camera with a computer and mic inside it? Because those are all cameras. Natal is a device that creates digital information from light and sends it to a computer. It's a camera.

What a weird argument.

When you play video games that have guns that shoot multiple types of ammo, do you call them guns or make up some stupid name for them?

Natal is a device.  A camera is a device.

Natal CONTAINS cameras, a cpu, a mic, etc.

Natal is therefore an advanced input device.  You cannot reduce what it is just by one or two of it's main parts.  You don't call a Cell Phone a camera when it has a cpu, a camera, and a microphone.....

Yeah you do.  You call it a smartphone or an iPhone or a camera phone.  It's a type of phone.  Or you can just call every device made from here on out "a multi-functional computing device," but then everybody will think you're nuts.

Really?  So you say, "Hey give me a sec, I gotta call my mom on my camera real quick," when referring to your cell phone?  That's weird.....

Natal is not a "type" of camera, though.  It is a type of input device.

Hahaha, crap, you caught me.  I completely read that wrong and responded wrong and didn't reread it.  Oops.

I still think it's a camera.  There are several types of cameras, and a camera-interface device would be one too.  If Natal isn't a camera, what are the EyeToy and the PSEye?  They're all cameras that can use their surroundings as an interface for controlling software.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but I'm pretty sure just about everybody is going to call it a camera, a camera controller, a camera interface, or a camera input method.

I'm not saying this like it's a bad thing.  I'm just arguing the semantics.

Around the Network

^Same here. It does vary from the standard EyeToy/PS Eye cameras, though, because of the multiple cameras it uses combined with the processor and/or software that is onboard and does all of the calculations, while with the PS Eye or EyeToy it is only an input device that sends raw data to be processed by the console.