By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Who here is still excited for the release of Project Natal next year?

DrDread said:
Show me one good game or use for that thing, really.

Oh I am sorry, are you just now getting back from your 7 month vacation to the moon that started just before E3 time?

There were countless videos showing its uses and games it currently worked with.

Show me one good reason why you felt the need to post that response, really.

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
MontanaHatchet said:
TRios_Zen said:
MontanaHatchet said:
TRios_Zen said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Natal likely won't do anything in Japan. Worldwide, it might give it a boost, but I really doubt it will make any significant changes in sales. Should be an interesting add-on though. Sadly, it's being overhyped by 360 fans and is bound to disappoint many. Just wait until the thing is at least somewhat close to coming out.

On these boards there are 5 Natal sucks threads for every 1 Natal is cool... personally I'm just not sure how that can be considered over-hyping.

In fact, your estimation that it will have no effect in Japan, and very little effect everywhere else, seems MUCH more in tune with the sentiment of the majority of folks on VGChartz.  I mean honestly, HOW many people are there here REALLY over-hyping this?

On topic, I'm excited to hear what GAMES they announce for Natal.  I think the evolution of the controller (as brought to the mainstream by the success of Wii) is important to the development life-cycle of videogames going forward.  IF (a big IF), Natal is a possible future of that evolution, yeah, then yes it would be cool to "be on the ground floor" so to speak.

I don't expect it to magically generate sales though.  If the games are good and it offers new (and fun) experiences, you should HOPE it succeeds.  IF it doesn't, then we should hope it fails.

Really? Well just show me 5 "Natal Sucks" threads for this thread, and then 5 more for every other positive thread about Natal you find. Go ahead, have a blast.

I don't think it will have a big effect in Japan because the console launched there years ago, and you're not going to see a massive change in opinion for the 360 there when a string of RPGs from big name developers barely made a dent. Now obviously people on Vgchartz that don't even like the 360 won't be hyping or overhyping Natal. But the 360 fans seem so excited that maybe something will draw in those casuals. Let's wait and see. Frankly, it looks like it could be interesting in some situations, but ironically not very versatile.

I hope it fails because I'd rather shoot with a remote than shoot with nothing.

Why would I go through the trouble of proving my opinion?  Your opinion differs, and that is cool, but your opinion is NOT fact.  WHy don't you SHOW me all the threads where this is overhyped?  Have a blast too - HAHA!

If the best NATAL has to offer is shooting things with my hand, I absolutely hope it fails as well.  Hell I've played LOTS of games that have guns as peripherals.  That is not evolution, shit, we'd be going BACKWARDS.

You're right, why should you prove what you say? It's not like you ever had a good point in the first place. Here are just some of the threads hyping the crap out of Natal:

Here News Article

Here News Article

Here News Article

Here Valid but fanboy created and old

And here Leo-J of all people... sheesh get better evidence (also old)

If I repeated any, my apologies. And if I didn't, please find me 25 threads putting Natal down. In that time, maybe I could find some more threads telling us how amazing Natal will be. I'm not sure why you went where you went with your last sentence, but I'll explain mine.

This is driving with the Wii:

This is driving with Natal:

Insert picture using your own racing steering wheel from that Mustang you used to own, or using a steering wheel cover, or even a Wii peripheral you never should have bought because it added nothing, or any round object you want to use.  Seems to me using my choice of whatever I want makes for a better experience :)

I just wonder which one is more immersive.

As for actual threads that weren't news and were hyping, you have 2 (though one barely qualifies) and those are from June.  And if you go through all those threads you will see the majority of people there just to bash it like always, not hype it.  There are far more people here to bach Natal than praise it.

Here are 4 from the last week that are downplaying and trying to be negative about Natal, only one of which is a news article:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=87291

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=87239

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=87883

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=88117

It doesn't matter if it's a news article, it's that people surround the news article with hype. If someone posts an article that hypes up something, and people hype it up as well, would you say that that is not hyping something? I filled his quota, which is that he should have provided me with at least 25 threads saying Natal is bad (or some other negative description). And even if we say BARELY 2, he still needs to show me 10. Which he would never do.

In order for Natal to be truly successful, it would have to work for thousands of different games as a general controller (such as the Wii-mote). That doesn't look like it will be happening anytime soon. As well, Nintendo jumped in with their innovation at a time when the market was truly shifting. Microsoft jumping it 5 years late with Natal isn't exactly going to turn heads.

I feel rather anxious about the whole thing. I mean I don't mind if it isn't a big success,but if that were to happen then MS will go to war to ensure it's acceptance. I'm afraid of what Natal will do to the market.

Natal itself might not have the ability to disrupt the entire gaming world, but MS sure has.

JaggedSac said:
Kantor said:
Oh, it's you again. Welcome back.

OT: I think people are overestimating the effect this will have on hardware sales. Come on, it's four years into the generation! How many people are going to buy a console because it has a fancy camera?

The technology looks very impressive, and it would be great if they can get to the artist's render, but this is no Wii-killer, it's not something that will revolutionise gaming, it's just a handy accessory which would work well with certain games and improve the experience, maybe give some variety. Thinking anything else will just lead you into disappointment.

I usually don't agree with anything you say, but this is a good statement.

Wii Fit, which is a glorified scale, has sold over 22 million.  If Natal, which is MUCH MORE than a glorified scale, sells that much just by itself, would it be considered a success?

For the record, if anybody says anything except 'yes' to that question, then they need some serious help.  I mean serious, professional help.

JaggedSac said:
Keep_the_change said:
JaggedSac said:
Keep_the_change said:

For many extras you had in a car, it doesn't make it not being a car.

Natal is a camera. 

Would you call 2 cars and a motocycle bound together a car?  That would be a more correct comparison.

Do you mean Bugatti Veyron? The car with 2 cross engines?

Yes, it's a car.

Are you being serious?

That would not be 2 cars and a motorcycle put together.  That would be two engines put together inside one car.  Engine != car.  Pretty simple concept.  Should I make a picture for you.  Maybe a little pop up book to help explain.

Lenses != camera.

Natal are a couple of lenses put together inside one camera.

Natal is a camera.

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:

You're right, why should you prove what you say? It's not like you ever had a good point in the first place. Here are just some of the threads hyping the crap out of Natal:

Here

Here

Here

Here

And here

If I repeated any, my apologies. And if I didn't, please find me 25 threads putting Natal down. In that time, maybe I could find some more threads telling us how amazing Natal will be. I'm not sure why you went where you went with your last sentence, but I'll explain mine.

What's with the angst dude?  People can't have differing opinions all of a sudden?  Because I don't have a laundry list of posts ready to combat you with, clearly I have no point, right?  Come on dude, grow up a little, okay?  All disagreements don't have to be so acrimonious. 

Back on topic, you stated that you wanted to do better than shooting with your fingers...  I was simply stating, that shooting with peripherals (or your fingers) was moving backwards, NOT forwards. 

But this is pointless, you seem ready to discount Natal a year before release with no games announced yet; I on the other hand am a little bit more optimistic for it's chances.  That is the gist of our disagreement, and I'm totally cool with leaving it at that.

Keep_the_change said:
JaggedSac said:
Keep_the_change said:
JaggedSac said:
Keep_the_change said:

For many extras you had in a car, it doesn't make it not being a car.

Natal is a camera. 

Would you call 2 cars and a motocycle bound together a car?  That would be a more correct comparison.

Do you mean Bugatti Veyron? The car with 2 cross engines?

Yes, it's a car.

Are you being serious?

That would not be 2 cars and a motorcycle put together.  That would be two engines put together inside one car.  Engine != car.  Pretty simple concept.  Should I make a picture for you.  Maybe a little pop up book to help explain.

Lenses != camera.

Natal are a couple of lenses put together inside one camera.

Natal is a camera.

No.  Natal is 2 cameras + cpu + multi-array microphone.

Give. It. Up. Troll.

TRios_Zen said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Here

Here

Here

Here

And here

What's with the angst dude?  People can't have differing opinions all of a sudden?  Because I don't have a laundry list of posts ready to combat you with, clearly I have no point, right?  Come on dude, grow up a little, okay?  All disagreements don't have to be so acrimonious. 

Back on topic, you stated that you wanted to do better than shooting with your fingers...  I was simply stating, that shooting with peripherals (or your fingers) was moving backwards, NOT forwards. 

But this is pointless, you seem ready to discount Natal a year before release with no games announced yet; I on the other hand am a little bit more optimistic for it's chances.  That is the gist of our disagreement, and I'm totally cool with leaving it at that.

No, you said there is 5 threads hating on Natal for every 1 positive thread. I've yet to see anything from you that says that is anywhere near accurate. Now, that was your point, and you can't prove it. I'm sorry if that bothers you so much. And you're telling me to grow up? Debate the point at hand instead of being defensive. Shooting with peripherals isn't moving backwards, it's just advancing in something that has existed for many years. Moving backwards would be something like going back to cartridges or using AAs in handhelds. And I thought Natal did have some games announced at least, but if it doesn't, that's even more worrying. Gee. Well, I certainly look forward to seeing what it can do, but let's not overhype the damn thing. It will lead to disappointment.

@ nightsurge

I don't know if you're aware but ordinary cameras, let's say a Sony Handycam for example, also has CPU and a microphone.

That's standart.

Natal is a camera. Give. It. Up. And don't call me troll, next time you're reported, you should not ofend members, that's against the forum rules.

Keep_the_change said:
@ nightsurge

I don't know if you're aware but ordinary cameras, let's say a Sony Handycam for example, also has CPU and a microphone.

That's standart.

Natal is a camera. Give. It. Up. And don't call me troll, next time you're reported, you should not ofend members, that's against the forum rules.

How am I offending anyone?  You are a troll.  This is not an insult, but a definition of your existence in this thread or any Natal thread.

I don't know if YOU are aware, but a Sony handycam's CPU can do nothing but about 8 or 10 simple command processes.  The mic in a standard camera is of poor mono-quality, and a standard camera cannot capture 3D motion and recreate it into a game.

Natal is like a digital camera + an infrared depth camera + a CPU for complex model computations as well as other computations such as how it knows where you are dispite having limited bodyparts visible or any interference + a multiarray microphone to know the location the sound is coming from + a USB interface so you could theoretically take your Natal with you to show off at a friend's house without needing any other peripherals.

Natal is an advanced gaming interface. End of story.  Now I really should stop feeding the troll, but ignorance just always gets to me.  I'm not flaming you, I am trying to help you understand, but being a troll, it is rather difficult because they are very persistent.