By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Who here is still excited for the release of Project Natal next year?

I am not excited at all. It's a camera.

Around the Network

I am.

Natal is the next big thing in gaming.
Just look how Microsoft pushed it at E3 2009. Just look at the media reaction...

Natal is gonna be huge.

My Gaming Setup

Keep_the_change said:

You seriously cannot resist any chance to troll and downplay Natal, can you?

It's actually 2 cameras, a 3D imaging and motion tracking device, a multi-array microphone, and an onboard processing unit.  If you want a camera, look no further than the PS Eye and EyeToy before that.  Or look at the Xbox 360 Vision Camera if you want a camera.

NATAL Reminds me of Chaos Legion - It will be GREAT all around, but may go sadly over-looked for some devs and may cost MS big time.

THe Quality of it all steps up the Innovation fer sure though, nothing like it out there.

MontanaHatchet said:
TRios_Zen said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Natal likely won't do anything in Japan. Worldwide, it might give it a boost, but I really doubt it will make any significant changes in sales. Should be an interesting add-on though. Sadly, it's being overhyped by 360 fans and is bound to disappoint many. Just wait until the thing is at least somewhat close to coming out.

On these boards there are 5 Natal sucks threads for every 1 Natal is cool... personally I'm just not sure how that can be considered over-hyping.

In fact, your estimation that it will have no effect in Japan, and very little effect everywhere else, seems MUCH more in tune with the sentiment of the majority of folks on VGChartz.  I mean honestly, HOW many people are there here REALLY over-hyping this?

On topic, I'm excited to hear what GAMES they announce for Natal.  I think the evolution of the controller (as brought to the mainstream by the success of Wii) is important to the development life-cycle of videogames going forward.  IF (a big IF), Natal is a possible future of that evolution, yeah, then yes it would be cool to "be on the ground floor" so to speak.

I don't expect it to magically generate sales though.  If the games are good and it offers new (and fun) experiences, you should HOPE it succeeds.  IF it doesn't, then we should hope it fails.

Really? Well just show me 5 "Natal Sucks" threads for this thread, and then 5 more for every other positive thread about Natal you find. Go ahead, have a blast.

I don't think it will have a big effect in Japan because the console launched there years ago, and you're not going to see a massive change in opinion for the 360 there when a string of RPGs from big name developers barely made a dent. Now obviously people on Vgchartz that don't even like the 360 won't be hyping or overhyping Natal. But the 360 fans seem so excited that maybe something will draw in those casuals. Let's wait and see. Frankly, it looks like it could be interesting in some situations, but ironically not very versatile.

I hope it fails because I'd rather shoot with a remote than shoot with nothing.

Why would I go through the trouble of proving my opinion?  Your opinion differs, and that is cool, but your opinion is NOT fact.  WHy don't you SHOW me all the threads where this is overhyped?  Have a blast too - HAHA!

If the best NATAL has to offer is shooting things with my hand, I absolutely hope it fails as well.  Hell I've played LOTS of games that have guns as peripherals.  That is not evolution, shit, we'd be going BACKWARDS.

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
Keep_the_change said:

You seriously cannot resist any chance to troll and downplay Natal, can you?

It's actually 2 cameras, a 3D imaging and motion tracking device, a multi-array microphone, and an onboard processing unit.  If you want a camera, look no further than the PS Eye and EyeToy before that.  Or look at the Xbox 360 Vision Camera if you want a camera.

For many extras you had in a car, it doesn't make it not being a car.

Natal is a camera. 

TRios_Zen said:
MontanaHatchet said:
TRios_Zen said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Natal likely won't do anything in Japan. Worldwide, it might give it a boost, but I really doubt it will make any significant changes in sales. Should be an interesting add-on though. Sadly, it's being overhyped by 360 fans and is bound to disappoint many. Just wait until the thing is at least somewhat close to coming out.

On these boards there are 5 Natal sucks threads for every 1 Natal is cool... personally I'm just not sure how that can be considered over-hyping.

In fact, your estimation that it will have no effect in Japan, and very little effect everywhere else, seems MUCH more in tune with the sentiment of the majority of folks on VGChartz.  I mean honestly, HOW many people are there here REALLY over-hyping this?

On topic, I'm excited to hear what GAMES they announce for Natal.  I think the evolution of the controller (as brought to the mainstream by the success of Wii) is important to the development life-cycle of videogames going forward.  IF (a big IF), Natal is a possible future of that evolution, yeah, then yes it would be cool to "be on the ground floor" so to speak.

I don't expect it to magically generate sales though.  If the games are good and it offers new (and fun) experiences, you should HOPE it succeeds.  IF it doesn't, then we should hope it fails.

Really? Well just show me 5 "Natal Sucks" threads for this thread, and then 5 more for every other positive thread about Natal you find. Go ahead, have a blast.

I don't think it will have a big effect in Japan because the console launched there years ago, and you're not going to see a massive change in opinion for the 360 there when a string of RPGs from big name developers barely made a dent. Now obviously people on Vgchartz that don't even like the 360 won't be hyping or overhyping Natal. But the 360 fans seem so excited that maybe something will draw in those casuals. Let's wait and see. Frankly, it looks like it could be interesting in some situations, but ironically not very versatile.

I hope it fails because I'd rather shoot with a remote than shoot with nothing.

Why would I go through the trouble of proving my opinion?  Your opinion differs, and that is cool, but your opinion is NOT fact.  WHy don't you SHOW me all the threads where this is overhyped?  Have a blast too - HAHA!

If the best NATAL has to offer is shooting things with my hand, I absolutely hope it fails as well.  Hell I've played LOTS of games that have guns as peripherals.  That is not evolution, shit, we'd be going BACKWARDS.

You're right, why should you prove what you say? It's not like you ever had a good point in the first place. Here are just some of the threads hyping the crap out of Natal:

Here

Here

Here

Here

And here

If I repeated any, my apologies. And if I didn't, please find me 25 threads putting Natal down. In that time, maybe I could find some more threads telling us how amazing Natal will be. I'm not sure why you went where you went with your last sentence, but I'll explain mine.

This is driving with the Wii:

This is driving with Natal:

I just wonder which one is more immersive.

^^You could probably just put the same picture up there twice as the Burnout demo probably would have worked while holding that wheel.

JaggedSac said:

4. Vocal recognition out of the box. If Natal is there, developers know that this capability is there. Vocal recognition is not new, but having it standard and universal is a major thing. No need for an internet connection to download a patch to allow for this functionality. They also will have an SDK for this so no need to either develop the software or purchase third party software. Having a universal and standard system for vocal recognition makes it easier and more likely for developers to utilize it. Even if only playing with the controller games can make use of this.

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0cm; margin-right:0cm; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

I wonder how non-English speaking people will be treated. Will there be a possibility to speak in Swedish and get the Natal to understand. If not it will alienate a lot of people.

Sorry
Copied from word for spell checking