By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSP-Go (30,000 First Week Sales) A Flop ?

Grimes said:
leo-j said:
Grimes said:
It might not be so profitable once you add in the other costs like R&D, production tooling, marketing, network infrastructure, etc. In addition, it tied up development staff which could have been working on a better iteration of the product.

well considering those 30k go's need some games, its PURE profit for sony on PSN.

Overall, it would be like pissing into the wind. Sony needs to make up billions, not millions. They need to be focused on the billion dollar makers, not the million dollar makers.

Well how are oyu going to make up billions? With millions!

mM
Around the Network
Grimes said:
leo-j said:
Grimes said:
It might not be so profitable once you add in the other costs like R&D, production tooling, marketing, network infrastructure, etc. In addition, it tied up development staff which could have been working on a better iteration of the product.

well considering those 30k go's need some games, its PURE profit for sony on PSN.

Overall, it would be like pissing into the wind. Sony needs to make up billions, not millions. They need to be focused on the billion dollar makers, not the million dollar makers.

No, this is why Sony went form #1 last gen to #3 now and why nintendo is back on top, you try to do everything with that kind of attitude you dont make a successful margin in th elong run.

Losses in th epast are losses in the past, especially in business. Even if they lost 4 zillion dollars last year, posting a profit of 5 million this year in terms of business is a success.....the effects of losing money for these companies is form quarter to quarter and the effects are nearly instantaneous if its sustained.

thus we see stocks rise and fall daily based on expectations, rumors of acquisitions and the such. Whats done is done. If Sony begins posting profits in quarters form now on the past damage wont be taken away, however the future and present begins to look brighter and the company begins to grow instead of downsizing again.

So in summary. Youre wrong, posting any profit in the present is more important than making up past losses to a tee.

While everyone is on the PSP Go = Failure bandwagon, I just have to ask.

How is Nintendo and Microsoft's digital distribution only portable gaming systems selling?

At least thank Sony for being the ones taking the risk and stopping your beloved companies from flopping out of the starting gate.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Oh my... how everything changes. Now people are saying that is not a flop b/c of the money it makes? I'll remember that

When I see the PSP Go, I think Dell Adamo. Maybe they do make meager profits, but they don't do anything to make me believe they are on track to compete with Apple or Nintendo.

Remember the mini-disc? It was expensive, and maybe it even made a profit for Sony. It might have even been ahead of its time. The problem is nobody wanted it. And while Sony spent time continuing to dick around with their mini-discs, Apple invented the iPod. This is how a product can make money and lose money.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Around the Network
Maynard_Tool said:
Oh my... how everything changes. Now people are saying that is not a flop b/c of the money it makes? I'll remember that

Considering the normal PSP sold ~30k this week, PSP Go also selling 30k a week makes it pretty average.

Plus the money it brings in...

Id say considering those 2 factors, it is above average

Maynard_Tool said:

Well, ask apple share holders if they care about Mac marketshare or units sold?

Unit sales only matter in discussions of "flop" when they directly correlate to companies bottomlines. Thus, the PS3 selling poorly correalted poorly to Sony games divisions because:

A) it was sold at a loss

B) home console hardware profits are largely dependant upon software and accessory adaption

C) A and B combined mean Sony selling consoles for a loss at a lower amount doesnt give them a large base ot buy software which means the profits dont exist.

If Sony makes more money per digital download from PSPGo users and they make money from each PSP sold, the units sold are nothing more than forum fodder.

This is why many people here with a grasp on the purpose of the PSPGo are not so quick to point to it being a flop after one region, one week.

30k really is terrible for a new system like that. I think PSP-3000 sales will actually be more soon.

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*

it did very well~! i'm very surprised. :) Add in about 30-50k from EU (maybe higher due to free GTP) and you have about 80k. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

consider that people probably bought 2-3 items each on their gos (I bought 24 titles) you can look at about 150,000 game sales for the platform on week one netting sony a nice amount of cash.

it depends how it does in PAL...it's going to probably do okay in Japan, but that market isn't a bellweather any longer, especially with the Iphone making moves into gaming...

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder