By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Do You THINK of Motion Controls?

Reasonable said:
JaggedSac said:
Natal will mark the end of American obesity.

Or a lot of heart attacks!

Remember all the 'sore wrists' with the Wii, I can't wait to hear the complaints for Natal...

I guess there's going to be a few Sony wands going through TVs, too, plus the 'sore wrist' syndrome.

I can see the day coming when Insurers will start raising their premiums if you have a game console with motion controls.

LOL.  Yep.  Tripping over dogs, tables, other people hitting each other, etc.  It should be epic to see what kind of issues are reported about these things.

Around the Network

Motion is the future, man. Accept it or GTFO.

WessleWoggle said:

For waggle games, maybe. Maybe not. For games where user input still counts, no. Never.

I have a different perspective being a 'lapsed' gamer that (as far as consoles go) went from Colecovision to Wii with nothing inbetween. I really have little interest in most popular genres that PS3/360 specialize in (action, FPS, TPS, JRPG) nor do I have the concept of blood, big boobed women and armoured men being a necessity of games. I grew up on Pac-man, Q-bert, Donket Kong and Frogger.

Therefore I love the novelity that motion controls have allowed to flourish in an otherwise stale marketplace. Games like Dewy's Adverture, Boom Blox, Marble Saga, Zack & Wiki, Let's Tap, Wii __, etc. I also love how they make certain games much more viseral - sports - (Tiger Woods, Baseball, NHL2K10), sandbox (Godfather, Bully, Scarface, Madworld), FP (Red Steel (despite it's faults), Metroid), racing and yeah party games. IR has also really benefitted games like Endless Ocean, strategy (Pikmin, Overlord), FPS (Conduit, CoD), and my favorite Adventure games (yeah!!). Any game I can play one handed while I eat, drink or do stuff is a winner for me.

To me (and I may be alone in this) I'd rather Dragon Age was on Wii so I could play one handed with IR (and 4 player local multiplayer with IR!!!) than on 360 (my pc won't run it).

In my mind it's a shame neither the core or casual have embraced a lot of the great novel games that Wii has brought, resulting in the industry starting to go back into the stagnantation of more of the same.

So basically, if it wasn't for Wii I'd have sat this generation out too. So for next generation, the same will hold true. Plus Wii has created a whole subset of gamers that now only know games with motion/IR. I can't imagine they'll ever want to goto the 'inferior' control pads. So if Sony/MS wants to attract their business next gen then motion must be part and parcel.

gamelover2000 said: 

I chose a PS3 because its controller made me able to lay on the couch and play.. Motion controls dont allow you to do that

ummmm....what!? I can play just fine while laying on a couch and playing a Wii game with motion controls. No aching at all either. Also, small movements work just fine too.

I love motion controls. but both are fine with me.

Around the Network
wyvers said:
WessleWoggle said:

For waggle games, maybe. Maybe not. For games where user input still counts, no. Never.

GTFO

Motion control is the future of fighting games. Instead of pressing buttons, you will jump to jump, punch to punch, kick to kick.

Motion control is the future of driving games. Put up your arms and pretend it's a wheel, pretend there's a stick shift, brake etc...

Motion control is the future of adventure games. Swing your arms like you have a sword, shoot your bow by pretending you have one etc...

Motion control is the future of FPS games. Weild your plastic gun with pride as you aim realistically instead of moving a joystick.

Motion control is the future. Accept it or GTFO.

bdbdbd said:
@The Anarchyz: Looking at the current trend in consoles, it's pretty obvious that motion controls are the future. I don't think saying that they are would be extreme by any means, especially when all the evidence point towards motion controlled future.

If motion controls are the future, why are many genres that don't fit with them?, motion controls are a good option where done right (and of course, it's not the future, because it's available now, it's like the term next-gen used for consoles of today)...

Motion controls have not overtaken standard ones, Wii having the mandatory one, doesn't use actual motion in every game, PS3 won't use it in every game since it's optional, and neither will Natal...

The Anarchyz said:
bdbdbd said:
@The Anarchyz: Looking at the current trend in consoles, it's pretty obvious that motion controls are the future. I don't think saying that they are would be extreme by any means, especially when all the evidence point towards motion controlled future.

If motion controls are the future, why are many genres that don't fit with them?, motion controls are a good option where done right (and of course, it's not the future, because it's available now, it's like the term next-gen used for consoles of today)...

Motion controls have not overtaken standard ones, Wii having the mandatory one, doesn't use actual motion in every game, PS3 won't use it in every game since it's optional, and neither will Natal...

Motion controls will be used in every game when people realize the glory of full body control... The only people who won't like it are fat people... Hmm... Nevermind, now that I think more deeply about it, motion control is not the future, it won't sell because there's too many fat people, and most are too lazy for full body motion control. Logical conclusion: Anyone who disliked motion control is fat.

Love them for shooters and sporty type games and they would be amazing for RTS. Everything else I would always take a normal controller anyday.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

@Anarchyz: True. But this isn't different from going from digital directional pad to analog stick. This doesn't mean that the stick would disappear, that didn't happen to D-pad either when being replaced with the stick, but that the motion controls will be used as the default user input, with other options only where needed.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.