By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Do You THINK of Motion Controls?

I for one do not think that everything should be motion control. I like just a controller in my hand to play a game. The only games on the Wii that I play with motion controls in Wii Sports & Wii Sports Resort. I tried playing other games with the motion and did not like it at all. When I play Mario Kart I plug in the nunchuck and steer with that. I for one hope that the next gen will not go to mainstream motion controls. If they are added as a peripheral and there are some games that support them then that would be perfectly fine. And if the next gen was just motion controls I would probably skip it and just stay in the current gen and just speed up my buying of all the PS3 and X360 games that I want to play. Or I'll go strictly handheld.

Get your Portable ID!

End of 2009 sales predictions:

PS3 - 33 Million     360 - 40 Million    Wii - 75 Million

Around the Network

It's inevitable that a motion controller has to become the standard, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the controls do.

The gamepad *will* be phased out as the standard, included-with-system controller. At least unless Sony and Microsoft want to cement Nintendo's place as king of the hill, but as Brawl (and to a certain degree, Okami) proved, the Wiimote and Nunchuk can function perfectly well as a gamepad alternative without extensive motion use

It is impractical to make everything motion controlled, but is essential to give all consoles motion controllers as the standard. That is the way Nintendo has shown. Sony and Microsoft can either follow it, or be relegated to their 2nd-place wars forever.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Motion controls are great. It all depends on the implementation. Too bad too many games have it just "tacked on" for the sake of motion controls.

@Gamelover: I play Wii games often laying on the couch. There are very few games that actually require you to get up.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

I think they are great for party/arcade games.

Some people say that it's the future, some people say that it's a gimmick... I'm not in those extremes...

I think the use of motion controls depends on the nature of the game... Sports, Point-click adventures, puzzles, some racing games, even some shooters are perfect for motion... But not all games, that's why i have the Wiimote, the classic controller and the ol' GC controls...

Also, it depends on the nature of the controls, for instance, the PSwand and the Wiimote are a little different, and Natal is even more different... All are motion, but maybe Natal can work like wonders on a 1st person fighter (like in the promo), and the PS Wand on a 3rd person one with weapons...

It just depends on the nature of the control and especially, the games...

Around the Network

Wii - did it right, traditional NES style control (works for many games), motion controls for fun multiplayer and fitness games, analog atachment for motion x traditional style controls, IR games, and classic controllers.

Sony wand - Seems to have Motion+ style controls, but lacks a lot of other features the Wii controller has.

Natal - No multiplayer possible, no ir, etc.. Too limited.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

@The Anarchyz: Looking at the current trend in consoles, it's pretty obvious that motion controls are the future. I don't think saying that they are would be extreme by any means, especially when all the evidence point towards motion controlled future.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Natal will mark the end of American obesity.

The best Wii games make me wish one thing: more excellent Wii games...

The controls in the Metroid Prime Trilogy or Resident Evil 4, by example, are some of the most fun and intuitive i've ever experienced in 30+ years of gaming... it's so good i just can't imagine going back to the "old school" controlled versions anymore...

Of course, some game genres will never use motion controls at their best, and most of the best Wii games make good use of the IR pointing rather than the motion controls themselves...

The motion controls of WM+ will of course be perfect for many sports and "physical" games, but there's still so many things to do... especially with action/adventures and RPGs... or original platformers and puzzle games, too... and of course FPS, even if it's not really my cup of tea...

But i know many gamers will never adapt, so the "classic controller" option is also a must, i guess...

"A beautiful drawing in 480i will stay beautiful forever...

and an ugly drawing in 1080p will stay ugly forever..."

JaggedSac said:
Natal will mark the end of American obesity.

Or a lot of heart attacks!

Remember all the 'sore wrists' with the Wii, I can't wait to hear the complaints for Natal...

I guess there's going to be a few Sony wands going through TVs, too, plus the 'sore wrist' syndrome.

I can see the day coming when Insurers will start raising their premiums if you have a game console with motion controls.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...