By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Do You THINK of Motion Controls?

Motion controls done properly can add a lot to a game. Generally, this entails making them feel natural (like pointing at the screen for aiming) or using them only in certain situations (such as special moves that are only called for occasionally).

They are not good when they are just a substitute for button mashing (tacked on), or when are poorly implemented (motions not recognized or clear), or when they just don't feel right (1:100 or 100:1 or 1:-1 ratios between movement and screen action).

What I fear though is what I have seen so far for the Wii -- a lot of rush tacked-on poor executions of motion controls. Project Natal really has me concerned because it is a new technology, because it is multiple types of motions, and because Microsoft wants every type of game to use it.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

15 years of game controllers makes it hard to switch.

"I, like many pre Wii gamers have this absurd notion that when playing a game, I wanna be as relaxed as possible. Sweating and tiring myself out to wii-boxing isn't relaxing."

@Mitsurugi

Well then there's the Wii Vitality Sensor.

--

Personally, I think core gamers are being selfish traditionalist snobs. They reject anything that is different and then complain when nothing is innovative. They think video games is THEIR hobby and they'll be damned if all those casual gamers start butting in.

If they leave gaming because motion control become the new standard, then good riddance to them! Maybe they'll go get lives!

mortono said:
"I, like many pre Wii gamers have this absurd notion that when playing a game, I wanna be as relaxed as possible. Sweating and tiring myself out to wii-boxing isn't relaxing."

@Mitsurugi

--

Personally, I think core gamers are being selfish traditionalist snobs. They reject anything that is different and then complain when nothing is innovative. They think video games is THEIR hobby and they'll be damned if all those casual gamers start butting in.

If they leave gaming because motion control become the new standard, then good riddance to them! Maybe they'll go get lives!

Yeah I probably get more pussy that you. And I don't mean from my right hand either. I hate this frickin notion that all hardcore gamers are fat, turds living in their parents basements. Maybe it might be the fact that we see nothing but gimmicks coming from motion controls ever think about that? Or maybe it's just frickin preference? It was the Hardcores that made the industry what it is today. We were here in the beginning and if there is an end we'll probably be there too.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

I was writing sarcastically...

Around the Network

I like them, of course there are some times when they are miss used but they make games better for me...

Former something....

ShadowSoldier said:
mortono said:

@Mitsurugi

--

It was the Hardcores that made the industry what it is today. We were here in the beginning and if there is an end we'll probably be there too.

This is the kind of snob-speak I'm talking about. You are only further proving my point.

mortono said:
ShadowSoldier said:
mortono said:

@Mitsurugi

--

It was the Hardcores that made the industry what it is today. We were here in the beginning and if there is an end we'll probably be there too.

This is the kind of snob-speak I'm talking about. You are only further proving my point.

It's really sad to see this, feels like this will be the reason gaming will end. Also it's funny since no one was hardcore to begin with everyone was a casual when they started...

Former something....

Blacksaber said:

It's really sad to see this, feels like this will be the reason gaming will end. Also it's funny since no one was hardcore to begin with everyone was a casual when they started...

maybe it would be better if there was no "hardcore" and gaming went back to its roots.oh wait, i think thats what the wii and ds are. XP

IR pointer should become the console standard for games that require pointing and clicking ie FPS.

Nunchuk as a motion controller is poor however I prefer the 'break apart' controller setup to the classic controller for traditional games. The pad has to be 'broken' to be able to use a pointer so it will have to become standard too.

IMO, ignoring the wiimote's motion capabilities, I still find it a better controller for traditional games.

Motion plus has really impressed me and I think Wii Sports Resort is one of the best arcade games ever made. I want more motion games. I want a new Pilotwings to use M+. I want a lightsaber or Soul Calibur game with M+.

Do I want motion for all games? No, I just want to see it used well in games that benefit from it.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!