By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Do You THINK of Motion Controls?

I really like motion control when done well. I have really enjoyed the Wii and the Wii remote so far this gen. But I think, it is the IR capabilities of the Wii Remote that have been the best feature so far. Although if Wii Motion Plus gets more support that could change. I would be fine if all consoles next gen used motion controls, but wouldn't mind if they kept an option like the Wii has with the classic controller.

Around the Network

I like motion controls and think they have a bright future in gaming.

As for the Wii, what I like best about the controller is the IR pointer, and the two part controller. Those two features work great for traditional games. Motion controls don't need to be forced into all games, but they can work well in small doses. In some cases, they make really great games, like Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

bdbdbd said:
@Anarchyz: True. But this isn't different from going from digital directional pad to analog stick. This doesn't mean that the stick would disappear, that didn't happen to D-pad either when being replaced with the stick, but that the motion controls will be used as the default user input, with other options only where needed.

I get that, but i still think there are a lot of genres that don't feel good with those controls, and i got the feeling that won't change in the next generation... While the motion controls have that barrier, standard layout is still gonna apply as the main one in those games...

For example, i would love a First-person fighter on Natal, or a 3rd person weapon fighter with the PSWand, but i don't want a JRPG with either...

Now, if Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft (or a new contender) comes with a motion way that breaks the barrier, i will be the 1st one to support it...

They're alright. Wouldn't be sad at all if they went away forever, though...

KylieDog said:
When they work they can be great, however 95% of games feature motion controls when they really shouldn't and end up detracting from the game, sometimes in a game-breaking way.

Pretty much this.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network
Blacksaber said:
mortono said:
ShadowSoldier said:
mortono said:
"I, like many pre Wii gamers have this absurd notion that when playing a game, I wanna be as relaxed as possible. Sweating and tiring myself out to wii-boxing isn't relaxing."

@Mitsurugi

Well then there's the Wii Vitality Sensor.

--

Personally, I think core gamers are being selfish traditionalist snobs. They reject anything that is different and then complain when nothing is innovative. They think video games is THEIR hobby and they'll be damned if all those casual gamers start butting in.

If they leave gaming because motion control become the new standard, then good riddance to them! Maybe they'll go get lives!

It was the Hardcores that made the industry what it is today. We were here in the beginning and if there is an end we'll probably be there too.

This is the kind of snob-speak I'm talking about. You are only further proving my point.

It's really sad to see this, feels like this will be the reason gaming will end. Also it's funny since no one was hardcore to begin with everyone was a casual when they started...

I don't know who you're talking about but I hit the ground running like a mother fucker and I haven't stopped since the Atari 2600 joystick first got in my hands... that being said Natal interest me most because it goes in the direction that I want... Holodecks... also it allows the option of using Natal to supplement hard core games like Halo: Reach and Modern Warfare

CGI-Quality said:
Outside of the Sixaxis, not really a big fan. I prefer the traditional way to game, but that's just me. I'm sure it'll be interesting for others. For me, I prefer the classic gaming style.

It's like asking me how I feel about a Digital-Download Only future, only I oppose of that HEAVILY!

Exactly... I'm a big supporter of Digital Distribution, if i could download a car, i would (and once electronics recycling and clean energy are perfected, dd will be greener)... But not as an Only option, there are some things i want a physical copy, and i don't want to worry about the huge compression (for instance, the new Zune HD service, it's cool for some movies and shows, but i want to see District 9 with all the content intact) and that's possible thru DD, but it takes long time to download... I still mock Don Mattrick for saying that MS's movie streaming will be 1080p and starts at the second...

The same way i feel about motion controls, i'm a supporter because some things could be amazingly done with motion controls, but i don't want them as an only option...

@The Anarchyz: Umm... I'm not sure whether i get what you mean by standard layout.
But what is expected, is that the games change to fit the motion control better. After someone has the groundbreaking innovation, everyone is going to follow. For example, it makes very little sense to map action to a button in sports games after Wii Sports. Or, mapping attack to a button when WM+ gives you 1:1 swordfighting. Or use stick to move crosshair, when a pointer is superior input.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.