By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Square Enix Aims For Six Million Plus Sales For FFXII.

With Dragon Quest IX out of the way, Final Fantasy XIII is Square Enix's biggest game in the pipeline. The company apparently has high hopes for the title.

Responding to a Reuters interview on the 28th, CEO Yoichi Wada revealed that Square Enix hopes to see Final Fantasy XIII ship more units worldwide than its predecessor, PlayStation 2's Final Fantasy XII. This would mean shipments of over six million units.

He expressed hope that the recent PS3 and Xbox 360 price drops will help push the game's sales.

Wada also provided an update on Dragon Quest IX's sales state. Domestic shipments for the game topped the four million mark last week. Wada said that while he believes the game will top the five million mark this fiscal year, reaching the goal will cause pressure to Square Enix management.

There may be more to Square Enix than just Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. Wada said that the company has two to three titles that it hopes to be banner games to follow Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. "These could be released at the end of next year or the year after that."

He also told Reuters that Square Enix aims to have around eight IPs that could provide a continual influx of 2 million unit sales for the company. Development time is two years, so with eight games, they'd be able to have at least one release every quarter.

One thing to note in all this talk of banner titles and new IPs. Yoichi Wada was addressing Reuters as CEO of Square Enix Holdings, which also covers Eidos. He could very well be referring to titles developed outside of Japan rather than the next Tetsuya Nomura hit.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/09/29/square_enix_ffxiii_shipments_and_new_ips/

Combined i think it can sell 7.5 million. 4.5 million on ps3 and 3 million on 360.

Edit: Sorry about OP of course its about Final Fantasy 13.

Around the Network

7million? That would be considered a flop wouldnt it?

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

Bladeforce said:
7million? That would be considered a flop wouldnt it?

Why, u really u think it will sell like FF7?

I think it should sell 8-9m..Of course if reviews are usual 9-10/10.

Take my love, take my land..

FFXII...misleading title.

For FF13, 6 million is possible since it is multi platform

Around the Network

This is very interesting. If FFXIII only meets Wada's expectations, then it's possible that DQIX could outsell it worldwide, which would be the first time that's happened in a long time.

I would imagine that the game should sell in the 6 million+ region anyway! I would imagine sales similar to FFX anyway! 3/5ths of the sales on the PS3 and 2/5ths on the 360 (all down to the fact i think the game will sell more on the 360 in the US, down to installbase)

wada better start praying big time, although i must admit it does have a better chance being multiplatform, i can't really see much contributions on the xbox360 side i think it might get 1-2 million units sold on the xbox 360, and possibly 4-million on the ps3, it all depends of course on the ps3 user base if they are really willing to pay up for it or not.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Uhh...

I mean, this is possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Worldwide, and on 2 consoles? I reckon it'll happen.