By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - European Users: How well is PS3 selling in Europe?

casi said: some observations pre-launch and launch-day from Munich: - Wii is still sold out in most stores - Playstation 3 stations have caused strong interrest before launch, crowds of interrested people - PS3 has seen strong sales this morning (launch day), but supply meets demand so far. I'll check again when people leave work for the weekend. Many people I know are strongly interrested in the PS3. Many people have waited for the Playstation, and have not bought a 360. Europe is the least price sensitive marked (Wii sells at US$ 312, Playstation at US$ 750), and Europe has not seen as strong sales of the 360 as the US. The market is there for Sony, and they have a strong software lineup. I think Playstation has a chance here, a chance to come in second after Wii.
Pretty sure they will beat xbox360 in the long run in EU, might catch Wii to.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Around the Network

Diomedes1976 said: Sweden ;1.5%
To much piracy :(

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Diomedes1976 said: The quotient for the european markets (of the Europe of 15 countries ,the new Europe of 25 countries I dont know but doubt will differ much most are really tiny or have underdeveloped game markets ) is more or less like this . UK(actually England,Ireland ) :35% France :15% Germany:15% Spain :8.5% Italy; 8% . Sweden ;1.5% Norway :1.5% Austria:3% . Portugal:1.3% Holland;1.6% Belgium;1.5% . Denmark: 0.5% Switzerland(not UE but integrated in the european economy all the same ) ;1.5% . Greece :1% . Luxembourg ;nearly 1% . THe remaining 4-5% for all the other countries .
I don't know where you got those percentages from, but 1% for Luxembourg is way to much, there aren't that many people living there. Anyway, the Benelux (Belgium, Luxembourg and The Netherlands combined) got around 50k units for launch, so that would make it 5% of the 1M available for the complete launch.

i don't think the question is are they going to sell all their launch console quickly?" because they will, this weekend or easily till the end of the month. The main problem of the failed hype launch is that it shows a lack of interest by most of the non-hardcore gamers, completely dissimilar to the wii launch where we were probably 70% casual (mums, dads, kids, girls everywhere that day). And that is worrisome for the future of PS3. Can they go beyond the 1-2 Million units that will sell to fanboys? doesn't seem so after today but it's not rocket science...

koffieboon said: Diomedes1976 said: The quotient for the european markets (of the Europe of 15 countries ,the new Europe of 25 countries I dont know but doubt will differ much most are really tiny or have underdeveloped game markets ) is more or less like this . UK(actually England,Ireland ) :35% France :15% Germany:15% Spain :8.5% Italy; 8% . Sweden ;1.5% Norway :1.5% Austria:3% . Portugal:1.3% Holland;1.6% Belgium;1.5% . Denmark: 0.5% Switzerland(not UE but integrated in the european economy all the same ) ;1.5% . Greece :1% . Luxembourg ;nearly 1% . THe remaining 4-5% for all the other countries . I don't know where you got those percentages from, but 1% for Luxembourg is way to much, there aren't that many people living there. Anyway, the Benelux (Belgium, Luxembourg and The Netherlands combined) got around 50k units for launch, so that would make it 5% of the 1M available for the complete launch.
I made up those numbers ,they are only approximative .Over the years I have heard many things about the percentage in european business of the major countries ,specially my country of course .The smaller numbers I calculated by the inhabitants there and the adquisitive power plus some data about userbase of PS2 for example in those countries .In the example you provide me the Benelux would have 5% and in the numbers I calculated has some 4.1% ....if Sony has effectively provided more consoles than tought this would fit easily ...in any case those arent very far off .In any case those are approximative ,probably we could lessen the Luxembourg percentage something and add it to Denmark or Austria or Sweden or play 0.5 up and down with the numbers between some countries to make things more straight .

Around the Network

casi said: some observations pre-launch and launch-day from Munich: - Wii is still sold out in most stores - Playstation 3 stations have caused strong interrest before launch, crowds of interrested people - PS3 has seen strong sales this morning (launch day), but supply meets demand so far. I'll check again when people leave work for the weekend. Many people I know are strongly interrested in the PS3. Many people have waited for the Playstation, and have not bought a 360. Europe is the least price sensitive marked (Wii sells at US$ 312, Playstation at US$ 750), and Europe has not seen as strong sales of the 360 as the US. The market is there for Sony, and they have a strong software lineup. I think Playstation has a chance here, a chance to come in second after Wii.
I visited that store again this afternoon. Nightmare for Sony, no more consoles sold. They still have about 80% of their initial stock, and everybody who wanted one got one already.

I live in Potsdam, germany. First of all: amazon.de has the playstation 3 available. I walked in a Media Markt. No more people than usual I guess and no more people in the gaming section than in the other sections. The few minutes I was there, nobody picked a Playstation 3. But Wii, Xbox360 and ps2 also nobody take. I saw only someone buying a DS. Then I walked in a MediMax, some people were standing around the ps3 that could be played in the store. (The player was actually bad, it was a formula 1 game, he played Michael Schumacher and was only 12th.) Some teenager looked for PS3-games and stuff. So overall I saw no big hype, but I dont know how many came at midnight and how many will it be after work or tomorrow. Funny thing: I came back home, turned on TV and saw advertising for the DS. Not only one, the whole block was dominated by ads for different games and even an stuffed animal designed after nintendogs, that McDonalds sells.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Overall, the press has been rather negative about this launch. That can't be good for sales.

It does seem Sony has sold over 500,000 PS3's though...(front page) I suspect the launch can be broken down like this: 1 million + sold = A+ 800,000 to 1 million sold A- 600,000 to 800,000 sold B 400,000 to 600,000 sold C+ 250,000 to 400,000 sold C- 150,000 to 250,000 sold D under 150,000 sold F I was expecting in the B range, and that seems about right, given that most launch sales come on the first day.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

It is always like this with PS3 there is nothing Sony can do. If sony should have sold out people would get angry and say that they did not ship 1million consoles or that they had 5 months to prepare and they have screwed up the Europens again. The only good solution is just Fuck them