By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - European Users: How well is PS3 selling in Europe?

The frontpage only accounts for 0.5 million sold in the PAL territory .I suppose they will have to rectify once real data starts to roll . Speaking of the article here http://www.playfuls.com/news_06713_Europeans_Reject_the_PS3_Due_to_High_Price.html ....its curious as I live in Spain and I dont see this "everybody wants a Wii " anywhere .If fact ,the Wii is easily found in great numbers in the stores as the Sony haters would say ....." collecting dust in the shelves " and nobody even blinking at it .It had a great hype some 3 months a go .It was still hard to find two months ago due to low suply .OK .But thats over ,stop with the "its sold out everywhere !" crap .It simply isnt true .As for the PS3 ,I dont know numbers for many countries so I cant give those .In my country it seems to be sold out at the electronics ,videogames and sombe big shops ,while units remain at some smaller and not specific stores.Its not a sold out ,not yet ,but after Sony Spain between 110K and 130K have been shipped right now so sales around 85K or so seems very plausible .

Around the Network

@ Diomedes maybe it is different in spain - but honestly: in our shops there are only few wiis left (seems austria got new wii delivery last week) but you can buy as much ps3 as you wanna

Stromprophet said: johnlucas said: How can you be so sure? Do you know something about their manufacturing plans that we don't? I would think anything as new to consoles as what's in Wii with the motion sensing may be not so "easy" to churn out. And besides Nintendo has a reputation for not making sheety products (yes I censored myself there). For them to sloppily crank out systems will leave them in a PS2 kind of situation. They do NOT need that kind of press. Quality takes time. Just how it is. Even THEY couldn't anticipate this demand. The best problem ANY company can have is when you can't make your widgets fast enough for your insatiable customers. That's a beautiful problem and a rare one to boot. Therefore it is hard to prepare for. Best to take it safe than sorry. Best to underfill the bucket than overfill it. All good businesses operate like this. John Lucas I do know somethings about manufacturing as I work as an engineer at a manufacturing facility. The problem I have is everyones criticalness of Sony as they rolled out a very complex system with so few initial units. But Sony was able to ramp production up unbelievably quickly. And on a very complex machine. Let's compare that to say Microsoft who wasn't able to ramp up production for 6 months. Not because there was so much demand, but because they just didn't have their processes straight. Motion sensing technology has been being explored since before the last gen launched. It's really not that hard. Sorry, it's not as complex as the cpus in these machines even by a long shot, the only thing that kept Motion sensing out for a while was how expensive it is since the components have to be small. PS2 situation. Yeah, I'm going to go with that story has been so greatly exagerrated. I had an original launch PS2 and I just sold it last year on ebay, it never quit playing games or reading DVDs. I don't know that they sloppily cranked up production as much as once again they were pushing for a better gaming machine using different architecture than had been used before. The Wii is using proven technology. It should be a relatively simply process. My main issue is I see way too many Nintendo huggers that are real quick to mock Sony and the PS3 or anyone who might have one and make comments meant to incite responses and then act like they weren't trying to get a response. Since they didn't have to do too much hardware development and the system uses mainly existing technology, and a lot fewer components than the other 2 competitors (no hard drive, no dvd reader or drive) I see no reason why they should not have been able to ramp production up before launch even happened. It's not like they are manufacturing all kinds of other products, only the gaming systems.
Nobody said the Wii is new technology... but it's just that only Nintendo had the guts to release something different.

Diomedes1976 said: The frontpage only accounts for 0.5 million sold in the PAL territory .I suppose they will have to rectify once real data starts to roll . Speaking of the article here http://www.playfuls.com/news_06713_Europeans_Reject_the_PS3_Due_to_High_Price.html ....its curious as I live in Spain and I dont see this "everybody wants a Wii " anywhere .If fact ,the Wii is easily found in great numbers in the stores as the Sony haters would say ....." collecting dust in the shelves " and nobody even blinking at it .It had a great hype some 3 months a go .It was still hard to find two months ago due to low suply .OK .But thats over ,stop with the "its sold out everywhere !" crap .It simply isnt true .As for the PS3 ,I dont know numbers for many countries so I cant give those .In my country it seems to be sold out at the electronics ,videogames and sombe big shops ,while units remain at some smaller and not specific stores.Its not a sold out ,not yet ,but after Sony Spain between 110K and 130K have been shipped right now so sales around 85K or so seems very plausible .
Honestly, when discussing personal observations in Japan you're likely going to get a reasonable idea of what is going on because (in many ways) Japan has a very homogenious culture; in North America there is a greater level of diversity across countries, states, cities and communities but there is still enough of a unified culture that (with enough observations) you can get an idea of what is going on through personal observation. In Europe I would expect that there is a greater ammount of ecconomic and cultural diversity which makes it impossible to speculate what is happening in one country based on another ... It is completely possible that Spain has embraced the PS3 and rejected the Wii while France, Germany and Sweeden have embraced the Wii and Rejected the PS3; and in other countries it is possible that the Wii, PS3 and XBox 360 are all seeing similar levels of sales.

HappySqurriel said: Diomedes1976 said: The frontpage only accounts for 0.5 million sold in the PAL territory .I suppose they will have to rectify once real data starts to roll . Speaking of the article here http://www.playfuls.com/news_06713_Europeans_Reject_the_PS3_Due_to_High_Price.html ....its curious as I live in Spain and I dont see this "everybody wants a Wii " anywhere .If fact ,the Wii is easily found in great numbers in the stores as the Sony haters would say ....." collecting dust in the shelves " and nobody even blinking at it .It had a great hype some 3 months a go .It was still hard to find two months ago due to low suply .OK .But thats over ,stop with the "its sold out everywhere !" crap .It simply isnt true .As for the PS3 ,I dont know numbers for many countries so I cant give those .In my country it seems to be sold out at the electronics ,videogames and sombe big shops ,while units remain at some smaller and not specific stores.Its not a sold out ,not yet ,but after Sony Spain between 110K and 130K have been shipped right now so sales around 85K or so seems very plausible . Honestly, when discussing personal observations in Japan you're likely going to get a reasonable idea of what is going on because (in many ways) Japan has a very homogenious culture; in North America there is a greater level of diversity across countries, states, cities and communities but there is still enough of a unified culture that (with enough observations) you can get an idea of what is going on through personal observation. In Europe I would expect that there is a greater ammount of ecconomic and cultural diversity which makes it impossible to speculate what is happening in one country based on another ... It is completely possible that Spain has embraced the PS3 and rejected the Wii while France, Germany and Sweeden have embraced the Wii and Rejected the PS3; and in other countries it is possible that the Wii, PS3 and XBox 360 are all seeing similar levels of sales.
Well ,its clear Sony is stronger in some countries as UK ,Spain and Germany and a bit weaker on for example France that has always been in love with Nintendo .What I am saying is that article points that in my country are different as they really are .Wii is in stock everywhere and doesnt sell in many days and that article says "everybody " is in search of a Wii .I was only pointing that out . As for the PS3 ,it is quite evident it isnt selling out in most countries ,and it is even more evident it wont do very well until it is 350 euros or so .So if Sony wants to do something they should lower the price in some months .They cant do ir right now ,they have just launched ,but between august and september if numbers arent good they should do their act toghether .

Around the Network

Today I checked another Media Markt store in Wroclaw. Since launch - 32 of 50 shipped PS3's sold. Some observation of store stuff: - Sale is very good - they even forsaken an idea of dedicated stand for PS3 (movies and games presentation etc.) - console is selling on brand name only. - Custumers are mostly very conscious. No casuales. It looks like my first estimate was a bit harsh. Supply constrained? PS3/Xbox360