By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Namco Dev EXPLAINS why TOV was a Timed 360 Exclusive (SHOCK)!

Oh hey, it's a Sankaku Complex article. Those never get posted here.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Carl2291 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
SnakeEyez said:

I wouldn't say that Sony are bad for blackmailing devs to make their version better, I look at it as Sony looking out for consumers. For someone like me, that has only a PS3 (for the moment), and wanting to buy a game like ToV, it sucks that I have to pay full price on a year old port, so the new additions makes the pill easier to swallow.

I am swallowing the pill. I was waiting for TOV and SO4 on the PS3 anyway, but I still dont find it to be fair to MS who essentially funded Sonys demands. Namco must've been scared shitless.

I dont find it fair that MS moneyhatted the game so PS3 owners couldnt play it for a year.

What were Namco supposed to be scared of, exactly?

Ok, so how do you think MS could've achieved sales increases in Japan? Japan is nearly impossible to break if you aren't Japan. Being in the videogame industry its even worse.

i dunno, thats not my problem.

You dont find it fair that "MS funded Sony's demands".

I dont find it fair that MS funded there way to 3+ million PS3 owners in Japan, getting screwed out of the game.

Nice.  Probably a good move initially for MS to lay out the money for it.  Really good move for Sony to push for extra content in the PS3 version however they can.  A good move for Namco to release it this way?  Time will tell, but probably.  They got their payout from MS and now they'll sell it much later to a PS3 install base that's grown up quite a bit, and has prospects of continuing to grow quickly in the near future.

Vanversive said:
BS or not I cant blame sony for demanding more stuff. Who would want to pay 60 bucks for a game a year old that's the same on the other console.

I Agree. If you're going to port a year old game to another system, at least add some really good treats for gamers to pick up the game. THis is actually a damn good move on Sony's part.  Aquire TOV with everything Plus more content in their game that give some fans a reason to buy it again? Now they need something like a Pre-Order bonus (anyone have any ideas for one?). I kind of feel bad for Namco (not entirely though)

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Carl2291 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
SnakeEyez said:

I wouldn't say that Sony are bad for blackmailing devs to make their version better, I look at it as Sony looking out for consumers. For someone like me, that has only a PS3 (for the moment), and wanting to buy a game like ToV, it sucks that I have to pay full price on a year old port, so the new additions makes the pill easier to swallow.

I am swallowing the pill. I was waiting for TOV and SO4 on the PS3 anyway, but I still dont find it to be fair to MS who essentially funded Sonys demands. Namco must've been scared shitless.

I dont find it fair that MS moneyhatted the game so PS3 owners couldnt play it for a year.

What were Namco supposed to be scared of, exactly?

Ok, so how do you think MS could've achieved sales increases in Japan? Japan is nearly impossible to break if you aren't Japan. Being in the videogame industry its even worse.

Not entirely comparable since Nintendo has been around for a lot longer in that industry and been successful in the US, but this gen they achieved huge sales by introducing something new. That's one way although a way MS doesn't seem to be able to walk very often regardless of what they are doing.

So they bought something instead. Again, they paid for development and for 1 year exclusivity. They have to be idiots if they can't figure out after that one year the development is Namco's to do with as they please. And I don't think MS are idiots, this gen they have been much better at the business thing than Sony.

The 360 in Japan did what it had to do, but this isn't the only port and coupled with FFXIII PS3 exclusivity in Japan it's pretty safe to say that's it for this gen. And again, as much as I dislike their strategy for Japan, it got them a lot. All the porting might have also gotten them some bad reputation but seriously, it's their fault - if they are going to buy, they should have bought full exclusivity. New content on ports is not such a new Sony policy. PS3 being more accepted in Japan is nothing new. JRPGs being rampant on the PS2 and the PS3 inheriting that anticipation despite complete early draught is not a secret.

Around the Network

cool website.

F.U. Fun University.

well that really isnt that surprising i guess

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

i hope this comes to the us becuz SO4 isnt good and i rly want to play tales

FinalEvangelion said:
Xxain said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Xxain said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
SnakeEyez said:

*eyeroll* oh gawd........

What? I would think the same way for Sony if they actually funded a game that Nintendo essentially got with additional stuff for free.

I love the way ur trying paint a picture where NAMCO,the Company that has ripped there fans off over and over again and were attempting to do it again, are innocent and defensively and SONY, the Company that wont allow them to cash in on a quick port, is the big bad Yokai

True.  It's not like Namco had to release it on PS3, as in Sony point a gun at them.

Company 1 - We're going to give cash handouts although don't expect sales to be high.

Company 2 - We have a better install base and reputation with our customers for this particular game, but we can't give extra cash handouts.

Apparently, Company 2 is evil here. 

So probably Sony said, "If you us to help market the game, put extra content."  I don't see how that is different from "Here is cash for keeping tight-lipped about another version / to add Exclusive DLC."

As far as MS deserving more sales in Japan, a company sells what it deserves.  Many American companies are very successful in Japan.  So maybe MS didn't paint a good picture for themselves there - and they have to deal with it.

I knew about TOV coming out on the PS3 a long time ago. Microsoft never paid Namco to be tight lipped. .

This isn't a shock! It was blindingly obvious!