By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Namco Dev EXPLAINS why TOV was a Timed 360 Exclusive (SHOCK)!

Wow... This is a lot for what is essentially a non issue!

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
Wow... This is a lot for what is essentially a non issue!

Agreed

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

heruamon said:
Capulous said:
I feel sorry for the people who bought this game just to be screwed over by Namco. Tecmo is the same kind of company with the Ninja Gaiden series. Hopefully something comes out of the protest against them.

If you buy a console for one game...you're not getting screwed, you made a really terrible decision...$400 or whatever  for a game you love?!?!  That's riddiculous...

You're kind of getting screwed in a way since you bought a console for a game you really wanted...........

Only to be put on another console and to add insult to injury, has more goodies than the version you bought. Either way, it comes to show that patience is a virtue

darkhaven63 said:
heruamon said:
Capulous said:
I feel sorry for the people who bought this game just to be screwed over by Namco. Tecmo is the same kind of company with the Ninja Gaiden series. Hopefully something comes out of the protest against them.

If you buy a console for one game...you're not getting screwed, you made a really terrible decision...$400 or whatever  for a game you love?!?!  That's riddiculous...

You're kind of getting screwed in a way since you bought a console for a game you really wanted...........

Only to be put on another console and to add insult to injury, has more goodies than the version you bought. Either way, it comes to show that patience is a virtue

That's kinda like paying $600 for  console when i launched, and now paying half that for a more capabile one years later...they got the paly the game a year earlier...I'd take the year earlier anyday over the slightly expanded game features a year later...there are other games to play.  Getting GTA last gen, later than the PS2 sucked, and if some people are trying to make this out as a good thing, they are smoking crack.  Look how well received the delayed and expanded Bioshock did on the PS3...hmmm...maybe Japanese conumer are totally different from NA and PAL consumers, but getting a year old game isn't a sweet deal to me.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

There is no doubt Japan gaming market has always been different than NA.

Around the Network
heruamon said:
Capulous said:

My comment has nothing to do with people buying a console for one game.  It has to do with the devs making a crappy/buggy game and releasing it w/ full knowledge that it is going to be improved and upgraded for a later release.  They knew they were going to do this; they have unused code on the Xbox version which they decided to cut out and then put it only on the newer version.  To boldy state that they took the money with full knowledge of what they plan on doing and basically not caring about the people who support them is why I hope something comes of this.  What Tecmo does with the Ninja Gaiden series is pretty much the same. 

All these Capcom releases are similar, but they are bascially just milking everything.  RE5 Alternate Edition (?), now a new release with a new extended side campaign; Super SFIV (or whatever the new version is), then it will keep going until Super SFIV ultra alpha turbo championship edition.  As long as they release it as DLC for all the systems it will not be bad, but so far all I've read is that they will both be released only as full versions and at full prices (hopefully that is not true).  They need to take a page from Bethesda and Rockstar.

As for buying a console for one game, I don't think it is reasonable, but it's not my money.  If they think it is worth it and they insist on it, then who am I to tell them what to do with their money.  I've made purchases that some people may question, but guess what it's not their decision.

I don't see why some people are so upset about the PS3 version having more content. The Xbox 360 game is already a great game with tons of content and is already on the cheap now. If you only have a 360 and can't play the PS3 version, grab it for the 360. The game is long enough that once you complete it you wont be upset that you didn't get to play the additional content.

And Boo Hoo, a company wants to make money. Good for Namco Bandai. If they make enough money off of this game then maybe that will spur them to make another HD Tales game.

Capulous said:

It has to do with the devs making a crappy/buggy game and releasing it w/ full knowledge that it is going to be improved and upgraded for a later release. 

I don't remember 360 fans calling it a crappy or buggy game.  I remember them lauding it as a very good game.

It was Namco's business decision when to call the 360 version "done", after 1) Microsoft made its business decision to spring for timed exclusivity and 2) knowing that Sony's business decision would be to say: put in more content, or you can't release it on PS3.

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Capulous said:

It has to do with the devs making a crappy/buggy game and releasing it w/ full knowledge that it is going to be improved and upgraded for a later release. 

I don't remember 360 fans calling it a crappy or buggy game.  I remember them lauding it as a very good game.

It was Namco's business decision when to call the 360 version "done", after 1) Microsoft made its business decision to spring for timed exclusivity and 2) knowing that Sony's business decision would be to say: put in more content, or you can't release it on PS3.

I am not actually referring to to that game specifically, it was more a general statement over the practice.  I really don't care about the Tales series or any Jrpg.  Some fans may have some may not have, but enough are upset to start something over it; however most of the request on the link provided are pretty ridiculous.

I understand why MS did what they did but I don't think what they did was worth igniting the rage of 360 owners. Many Japanese gamers went out and bought a 360 for these "exclusives" and now they are burned (and stateside too since lots of people bought an Arcade just to play what they thought were exclusives). On the flip side though, this deal may have been beneficial to 360 owners without a PS3 who like jrpgs (particularly in the west). Those who are still bitter about FF13 going multiplat argue that the 360 doesn't have the jrpg fanbase but keep in mind that not everyone who likes jrpgs only likes jrpgs and animu type stuff. From what I've seen, the typical 360-only jrpg player also likes to play Halo, Gears of War, CoD, GTA, Mass Effect, Fable, etc. (many are PS1 and PS2 owners who have played Square-Enix games, Tales, etc. If this wasn't the case, I doubt LO would have been the most successful new jrpg IP this generation) They have more diverse tastes than the hardcore sony/square-enix weeaboo who whines "waahhh too many shooters" "western rpgs aren't real rpgs, they're action rpgs" (lulz) and hates Xbox because it's American so much that they don't even want 360 gamers to play their beloved FFXIII.

Who knows, perhaps these timed exclusives would have never been released on the 360 at all if it wasn't for the subsidies they received from Microsoft. Heck they might not have even reached the PS3 (without Microsoft's support money) and would have stuck to handhelds since HD development is so risky. And it would have been a shame if these games didn't reach the Xbox at all. Though obviously it's best that Microsoft focus more on first-party stuff so that they don't cause more anger. Many people are even holding off on buying MC2 because they're afraid it'll get ported.