By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Namco Dev EXPLAINS why TOV was a Timed 360 Exclusive (SHOCK)!

I would get the PS3 version but no.

Around the Network
dobby985 said:
This isn't a shock! It was blindingly obvious!

That too. A tad less obvious than SO4 but obvious

Frankly, if I did have a 360 before ToV, I would have bought the game even knowing the ps3 release date and the list of additions.

As it was, I bought the 360 for this and SO4...ironic because I never got SO4 after hearing the dub.

Still, I don't think the extras are such a great substitute for 1 year of waiting. They are simply a good consolation.

We all called it from the beginning. This just confirms assumptions.

alekth said:
Frankly, if I did have a 360 before ToV, I would have bought the game even knowing that 1 year later there would be a better version.

As it was, I bought the 360 for this and SO4...ironic because I never got SO4 after hearing the dub.

Still, I don't think the extras are such a great substitute for 1 year of waiting. They are simply a good consolation.

I didn't like the voices that much either after looking at some cutscene clips, but some people blame the personalities the characters were given

Around the Network

Granted the Japanese voices aren't all that special either (though they are not grating my nerves), and from reviews and what a lot of people have said the story, pacing and characters fail, and the battle system is what this game does right.

I'm not really expecting to like the game a lot once I get it (hardly 1st day). Might end up being my personal Tales of Legendia of the Star Ocean series, a game I started a couple of times and only managed to finish when I got the undub (not because it made the game so much better, just because it was one awful thing less).

S.T.A.G.E. said:
FinalEvangelion said:
Xxain said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Xxain said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
SnakeEyez said:

I wouldn't say that Sony are bad for blackmailing devs to make their version better, I look at it as Sony looking out for consumers. For someone like me, that has only a PS3 (for the moment), and wanting to buy a game like ToV, it sucks that I have to pay full price on a year old port, so the new additions makes the pill easier to swallow.

I am swallowing the pill. I was waiting for TOV and SO4 on the PS3 anyway, but I still dont find it to be fair to MS who essentially funded Sonys demands. Namco must've been scared shitless.

*eyeroll* oh gawd........

What? I would think the same way for Sony if they actually funded a game that Nintendo essentially got with additional stuff for free.

I love the way ur trying paint a picture where NAMCO,the Company that has ripped there fans off over and over again and were attempting to do it again, are innocent and defensively and SONY, the Company that wont allow them to cash in on a quick port, is the big bad Yokai

True.  It's not like Namco had to release it on PS3, as in Sony point a gun at them.

Company 1 - We're going to give cash handouts although don't expect sales to be high.

Company 2 - We have a better install base and reputation with our customers for this particular game, but we can't give extra cash handouts.

Apparently, Company 2 is evil here. 

So probably Sony said, "If you us to help market the game, put extra content."  I don't see how that is different from "Here is cash for keeping tight-lipped about another version / to add Exclusive DLC."

As far as MS deserving more sales in Japan, a company sells what it deserves.  Many American companies are very successful in Japan.  So maybe MS didn't paint a good picture for themselves there - and they have to deal with it.

I knew about TOV coming out on the PS3 a long time ago. Microsoft never paid Namco to be tight lipped. .

Well, when exclusivity is paid or agreed, any other version is usually under NDA.  We didn't officially find out about ToV until April 1st - or over 8 months after it was released on 360.  With SO4, it was blatingly obvious that they had a certain NDA period as SE was constantly trying to avoid the question of whether it would come to PS3.  I would say ToV had some plans to go to PS3 and SO4 had definite plans from the beginning.

Really - all of this stuff is common business.  In capatilism - one man's loss in another man's gain.  Sony didn't have the up front funds for ToV.  MS didn't secure the exclusivity permanently. 

IMO, Sony was pretty smart to just wait for MS fire their ammo reserve in Japan.  Sure, they could spend tons more, but not without adversely affecting their share price.  If I was controlling a company that I knew wouldn't win a spending war (Sony), I'd probably do the same if I was reasonably assured that a company like MS wouldn't be able to make their product completely mainstream in Japan.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

You seemed to miss the most important part:

"SCE don’t really give much cash out (any at all perhaps). Their support is confused and unreliable. When I was doing it at least, the 360 was easier to develop for, which lowers costs.

As a result, first we developed for the Xbox,"

MS actually supports people who want to make games.  Also, good luck on better sales of the PS3 version.  Eternal Sonata is proof that the PS3 version sells better... oh wait.

Mr. sickVisionz said:

You seemed to miss the most important part:

"SCE don’t really give much cash out (any at all perhaps). Their support is confused and unreliable. When I was doing it at least, the 360 was easier to develop for, which lowers costs.

As a result, first we developed for the Xbox,"

MS actually supports people who want to make games.  Also, good luck on better sales of the PS3 version.  Eternal Sonata is proof that the PS3 version sells better... oh wait.

ToV PS3 already has 250k preorders in Japan.

ToV 360 has sold 170k in Japan.

@Mr. sickVisionz

That I believe. MS obviously put a lot more effort in those cases at least.

ToV and SO4 coming out in the west (ok, at least the US) simultaneousy/almost so was exemplary, and no doubt they had their share in that. With programming support Sony stepped up a lot later, there were plenty of complaints from developers not just about the difficulty but also about lack of assistence.

Eternal Sonata can't be used as a barometer for a mothership Tales game.