By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Namco Dev EXPLAINS why TOV was a Timed 360 Exclusive (SHOCK)!

LOL! This is so stupid....Kotaku/Siliconera would have been over this...but anyways...I like how the writer threw in a "Sony does not pay for Exclusive's" Jab..how nice..

Around the Network

You guys are calling Sony dicks for not helping fund and blackmailing Namco. I think Namco would be the dicks if they just wanted to be money hatted from MS, then getting a free ride to the PS3. Its their fault for trying to take the easy way. Maybe if they had made it multiplat from the start, Sony would've given them a hand. But if you expected something from Sony after a year, don't expect to get it easy.
Really MS was the only one that kinda got screwed over.

Oh double Damn!!

Give me but a moment to come up with something witty to say about this...

Don't all three companies have a similar policy regarding late ports? I know at least Microsoft does, which is why games like Virtua Fighter 5 had quite a few features added when ported to 360.

They basically say, "If you're not giving it to us first, at least make our version better."

If you release simultaneously on multiple platforms, you don't have this problem.

makingmusic476 said:
Don't all three companies have a similar policy regarding late ports? I know at least Microsoft does, which is why games like Virtua Fighter 5 had quite a few features added when ported to 360.

They basically say, "If you're not giving it to us first, at least make our version better."

If you release simultaneously on multiple platforms, you don't have this problem.

I'm also really confused by this. So people are complaining that Sony isnt paying developers to develop multiplat games.

Why are people surprised and outrages at sony. If anything it proves Sony, when they said they dont buy exclusives, may have been telling the truth to an extent. They arent going to pay to get a slight window to stunt the 360...they may pay for outright exclusives like agent but they pay because its going to be fully represented on their property.

To me it shows a sign of weakness when a company has to pay money to delay a release on a competitors console. I accept the notion in business practice because it makes sense. But for Sony to stand its ground and not fund games that are going to be multiplat eventually is somewhat noble to me.

I respect Sony for not throwing money for small epeen bragging rights and standing firm.

My assumption is Namco approached both Sony and MSFT and Sony either refused to give money or MSFT stepped in and said theyd pay them to delay the release. Its clear this game and all of the others in this situation were all going to be multiplat and MSFT made the decision to grab a year exclusivity.

Doesnt anyone find it odd that the news breaks early about the games coming to PS3 as if the devs begin porting immediately and then deny until 6 months after.....its not Sony being dicks, its the devs taking a bribe and Sony not budging to either match or top MSFT. Its actually surprisingly noble.

6 Months no comment clause. 12 month release clause. All the games fit this model. Its methodic not coincidence.

My money is on the fact MSFT approaches these games developers and when they turn to Sony they refuse to fall into the practice. Good for them.

These devs know they need to add new content and obviously really want to make more money so they release the game on the PS3 later with no money from Sony. So why would they make the game for Sony with no payment from Sony if they didnt make money on the release?

Around the Network

Sony is a freaking dickhead for asking for extra content. F#$@ them for letting the PS3 owners to have the incentive to buy ToV at full price. Damn you to hell! Sony. I hope you go bankrupt!

/sarcasm

Gilgamesh said:

This is why Sony is the number one gaming company, smart business.

So...this link shows sony's attitude is FUCK YOU developer...

Also...if M$ moneyhats the developer...why exactly again are they not making enough money to cover the cost? Seems like M$ is giving them some seed money to reduce cost, and allow them to build more proficiency to develop for thei platform...that's SMART business...VERY smart, and if anybody had a clue about business, they would slam sony for not doing the same.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

heruamon said:

Also...if M$ moneyhats the developer...why exactly again are they not making enough money to cover the cost? Seems like M$ is giving them some seed money to reduce cost, and allow them to build more proficiency to develop for thei platform...that's SMART business...VERY smart, and if anybody had a clue about business, they would slam sony for not doing the same.

This is a good example where a very limited perspective can give someone the completely wrong idea.

MS only moneyhats projects that will benefit them in a serious manner -- i.e. big projects with appeal in regions where they need to gain ground, and where they stand to benefit from "starving" the competition.  This has nothing to do with helping the very select few developers that they moneyhat, and everything to do with market positioning.  They do this in return for (timed) exclusivity, because paying for full exclusives isn't worthwhile (to them)

Sony, on the other hand, helps small self-publishing devs pay for their entry into the console scene, in return for exclusivity.  That's any small self-published dev who gets by the hurdles to make a PSN game at all, not just the select few who are going to benefit them in some major market position.

So... in fact, I think you have a severe case of anti-Sony bias in your assumption, heruamon.  In fact, Sony is looking out for both the developer and consumer with their policies.  MS seems to be looking out for themselves alone.  Jumping the gun, with the judgement-passing, is a pretty severe detriment to the validity of anything in your statements, IMO.

heruamon said:

That money was intended to help build an install base in Japan.

Time for a new strategy, MS.