By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - More Wii price cut evidence

Do i sense some people against Nintendo dropping the Wii's price?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
psrock said:

They're just scared. They thought or were hoping Nintendo would sit around and do nothing. 

Soundwave said:
Mr Khan said:

It's a bad idea on their part. The holiday season will be enough to boost their momentum, and then a price cut strategically stationed after the holiday season would be ideal to hold that momentum across. Price-cut before the holiday is not going to help their momentum that significantly through the holiday season, so they're just losing out on money they could be making.

I disagree. If they're going to cut next year anyway, why not do it now?

$199.99 is a price point consumers love and eat up, they can keep it there for a long time. 

But they want to hit their sales targets for the fiscal year and they aren't doing that if they under perform during the holiday months. 

They'll be fine next year, the Wii has a very strong lineup next year and economy should improve next year too, so there won't be as much of the recession blues among consumer spending. 

That seems to be the divide: those thinking from the perspective of "Meet Projections," and those thinking about "Profits." Those after Profits (like me) are calling this stupid, those thinking from Projections, are calling it overdue.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

psrock said:

Of course. This is a terrible decision in the long run. Many of us have been saying this for ages.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Mr Khan said:
Soundwave said:
Mr Khan said:

It's a bad idea on their part. The holiday season will be enough to boost their momentum, and then a price cut strategically stationed after the holiday season would be ideal to hold that momentum across. Price-cut before the holiday is not going to help their momentum that significantly through the holiday season, so they're just losing out on money they could be making.

I disagree. If they're going to cut next year anyway, why not do it now?

$199.99 is a price point consumers love and eat up, they can keep it there for a long time. 

But they want to hit their sales targets for the fiscal year and they aren't doing that if they under perform during the holiday months. 

They'll be fine next year, the Wii has a very strong lineup next year and economy should improve next year too, so there won't be as much of the recession blues among consumer spending. 

That seems to be the divide: those thinking from the perspective of "Meet Projections," and those thinking about "Profits." Those after Profits (like me) are calling this stupid, those thinking from Projections, are calling it overdue.

Personally I think the Wii really was always supposed to be $199.99 from launch. They moved it up to $249.99 US once they realized Sony was going to charge a ridiculous $500/$600 for PS3 and had tons of wiggle room and threw Wii Sports into the package. 

Wii Fit Plus w/Balance Board moving up by $10 in MSRP was also a tip off that the Wii hardware price was about to come down. 

I also think Nintendo is making a killing off controllers ... $20 for a nunchaku that probably costs $2 to make (maybe even less) and $20 for Wii Motion Plus ... they are racking it on other ways. 

It's not just about "market projections" either ... Nintendo has worked their ass off the last three years to gain the kind of brand momenteum they have now ... just pissing it away because they wanted to hold off on a price for an extra 6-8 months is simply stupid. I think they are finding out in Japan with the Wii what happens when you let a market spiral into a negative tail spin for several months in a row ... it's very hard to get going back in a positive direction. They should not take the same chance with North America and Europe. 

Around the Network
Demotruk said:
psrock said:

Of course. This is a terrible decision in the long run. Many of us have been saying this for ages.

Nintendo dropping the price of their own console which all first place system have done before, is a terrile idea because?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

After Iwata saying multiple times they weren't going to drop the price of the Wii, this news is really shocking. I still think it won't happen, although it seems Malstrom thinks otherwise.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

psrock said:
Demotruk said:
psrock said:

Nintendo dropping the price of their own console which all first place system have done before, is a terrile idea because?

Only the Blue Ocean purists believe it's a bad idea to drop it at all. I just believe it's a bad idea to drop it now, pre-holiday season. I (and others) would find a later drop more useful.

I mean, it's been rather evident that Nintendo hasn't been following the Blue Ocean as gospel. They've been engaging the whole "Monster Hunter 3" thing with as much gusto as any Red Ocean tactician might, and to be fully Blue Ocean, they would have stopped doing a number of things that still bind them to the old market.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Manos said:
Soriku said:

@Manos

And the Wii has a lot of games this holiday...

All consoles have. Are those games the kind of games which will actually push the hardware? I don't think so.

I also think that ps3 had a lot of pent up demand and wii does not have that.

There will be plenty of demand for the Wii once the blockbusters drop.  All that pent up demand for the PS3 still won't see it outselling the Wii worldwide post spike no matter how you cut it.

Mr Khan said:
psrock said:
Demotruk said:
psrock said:

Only the Blue Ocean purists believe it's a bad idea to drop it at all. I just believe it's a bad idea to drop it now, pre-holiday season. I (and others) would find a later drop more useful.

I mean, it's been rather evident that Nintendo hasn't been following the Blue Ocean as gospel. They've been engaging the whole "Monster Hunter 3" thing with as much gusto as any Red Ocean tactician might, and to be fully Blue Ocean, they would have stopped doing a number of things that still bind them to the old market.

Being dogmatic about these things is a sure way to lose your position as market leader. 

A smart company knows how to react and adapt to the market. 

Apple has dropped the price of the iPhone massively since its introduction, and its meant nothing but good things for its adoption by consumers.