By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - More Wii price cut evidence

Yea I think it's looking more apparent that they are going to cut the price by $50. Although this is not anything that confirms it, but there is starting to arise numerous amounts of data that suggest it.

Around the Network
DKII said:
And if this price cut actually happens it's basically just Nintendo admitting that they have no quality hardware-moving software coming in the next year, and they don't have any confidence in NSMB Wii in particular.

This.

Not related to quote:

I don't think wii pricecut will do anything. Maybe a small boost for one week but that's it.

Soriku - same-system sequels don't usually move hardware, so about the only things on that list that can actually move hardware are NSMB Wii and FFCC:TCB (though the release date in the US is absurd). With that said, if Nintendo is doing a price cut it means they don't think their games lineup is good enough to move hardware on its own, plain and simple.

Soriku said:
Manos said:
DKII said:
And if this price cut actually happens it's basically just Nintendo admitting that they have no quality hardware-moving software coming in the next year, and they don't have any confidence in NSMB Wii in particular.

This.

Not related to quote:

I don't think wii pricecut will do anything. Maybe a small boost for one week but that's it.

Why would it do anything? As a lot of people have been saying, it is not about the price. It is about the games. That usually happens when sony fans talked about pricecut. Guess who said that?

DKII said:
Everyone focusing on Nintendo missing their shipment projections is forgetting that if they do a price cut they'll just miss their profit projections instead.

Well that would be under the assumption they haven't planned to drop the price at sometime in their fiscal year. Thinking that a corporation thinks so linearly is quite silly if you ask me.  Of course it is quite possible they could be doing this on pressure of media, stock holders, and competition but we still don't know if this has been planned over time.

And that last part is a false dilemma fallacy (commonly known as an either/or fallacy).  You state essentially that either Nintendo doesn't drop the price and show their software as big hardware movers or they do drop it and admit they aren't big hardware movers.  That is a false dilemma fallacy because there are clearly other options as to why they would drop the price and have nothing to do with the admittance or non-admittance of the strenght of their software.  Such as the things I suggested as competitive pressure, corporate decisions based on effectiveness of the use of the pricecut strategy, etc.  That kind of argument isn't going to work.

Around the Network
Soriku said:

@Manos

And the Wii has a lot of games this holiday...

All consoles have. Are those games the kind of games which will actually push the hardware? I don't think so.

I also think that ps3 had a lot of pent up demand and wii does not have that.

Why doesn't Nintendo try a fitness, M+ and NSMB (black&red) bundle first then drop the price before the holidays if need be?

Are they worried one of the twins might catch some momentum leading in to their 'motion' releases?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

well the Wii here is still about $310US in Aus, so maybe we will get a price cut one day.

I think it is the smart move. It remains to be seen how long Microsoft and Sony's momentum from the price drop will last, but it is for certain that the Wii is down significantly year over year. Also with Wii Sports Resort selling great but not causing a significant boost in Wii hardware there is little reason to think that Wii Fit + will be a big hardware mover, and New Super Mario Bros. wont be able to carry hardware sales on its own. Also with Sony and Microsoft's motion controls coming out next year, Nintendo needs to continue to dominate sales, instead of Sony and Microsoft having big momentum going before the release of those products.

I would like Nintendo to maybe keep the $250 price point for maybe a new color and a Wii Sports Resort or New Super Mario Bros. bundle for the holidays.

Manos said:
Soriku said:

@Manos

And the Wii has a lot of games this holiday...

All consoles have. Are those games the kind of games which will actually push the hardware? I don't think so.

I also think that ps3 had a lot of pent up demand and wii does not have that.

Wii is the market leader, not to mention Wii Fit plus is out on October 4th, demand won't be an issue, the real issue is what is Nintendo's reasoning behind the price cut

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)