By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - More Wii price cut evidence

If there is a wii price cut, that can perhaps will destroy the ps3 slim and 360 elite effect for chrismas... it's just for america? or for the rest of the world too?

Around the Network

Probably worldwide. Nintendo has sales targets they want to hit, and especially with a recession, they need a more cost effective point.

Contrary to popular opinion, $199.99 is actually the "magic price point" where the PS2 sold the majority of its consoles (not $299.99). Expect Wii to do a lot of damage at $199.99.

The postive part is this will help increase the install base even more.  And I think this is a more reasonable price for what you get now that we are getting late into 2009.

Currently playing:  PC:  Wolfenstein  PS2:  Final Fantasy X  PS3: All-Pro Football 2K8 Wii:  Force Unleashed  PSP:  God of War: CoO Xbox 360:  Gears of War 2  

Most anticipated game:  Dragon Age Origins (PC)

Manos said:
Soriku said:
Manos said:
DKII said:
And if this price cut actually happens it's basically just Nintendo admitting that they have no quality hardware-moving software coming in the next year, and they don't have any confidence in NSMB Wii in particular.

This.

Not related to quote:

I don't think wii pricecut will do anything. Maybe a small boost for one week but that's it.

Why would it do anything? As a lot of people have been saying, it is not about the price. It is about the games. That usually happens when sony fans talked about pricecut. Guess who said that?

You are joking yourself if you think this will be a one week surge. I'm calling 2 million in December if Nintendo can supply that much, easy. 

Do not forget the PS2 sold the majority of its consoles once it hit the $199.99 price point. It's a significant barrier, more so than $199.99. 

Nintendo will have the top three selling console games for Nov-December anyway in NSMB + Wii Fit Plus + Wii Sports Resort anyway. You may not like those games personally, but they are going to sell a gigaton of them. 

Some of the comments have been really off the mark.Especially those about sequels don't move consoles there are some many games this generation that prove that wrong on all consoles.

@ On Topic - Pricecut will boost sales just because of the timing near the holidays and the increase in the number of releases but how big of an impact won't be seen till after the holidays since consoles will get a boost for the above reasons.

I love fighting games !!! Come on challenge me !

Around the Network

I don't know if it will afect sales much. I've never heard anyone say they're waiting for a Wii price drop.

But I guess they need to stay competitive. I don't think we'll be seeing another Wii Fit or Mario Kart sized system seller from them again this gen.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
I don't know if it will afect sales much. I've never heard anyone say they're waiting for a Wii price drop.

But I guess they need to stay competitive. I don't think we'll be seeing another Wii Fit or Mario Kart sized system seller from them again this gen.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii will sell just like Mario Kart Wii, book it. 

Wii Sports Resort is picking up steam too, 700k in its second month is monstrous, it is going to absolutely own this holiday season. 

Soriku said:

@Okey

Uh...what's WSR then?

A game that didn't move much hardware.

It's a bad idea on their part. The holiday season will be enough to boost their momentum, and then a price cut strategically stationed after the holiday season would be ideal to hold that momentum across. Price-cut before the holiday is not going to help their momentum that significantly through the holiday season, so they're just losing out on money they could be making.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

It's a bad idea on their part. The holiday season will be enough to boost their momentum, and then a price cut strategically stationed after the holiday season would be ideal to hold that momentum across. Price-cut before the holiday is not going to help their momentum that significantly through the holiday season, so they're just losing out on money they could be making.

I disagree. If they're going to cut next year anyway, why not do it now?

$199.99 is a price point consumers love and eat up, they can keep it there for a long time. 

But they want to hit their sales targets for the fiscal year and they aren't doing that if they under perform during the holiday months. 

They'll be fine next year, the Wii has a very strong lineup next year and the economy should improve next year too, so there won't be as much of the recession blues among consumer spending.