By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - More Wii price cut evidence

Unless Nintendo is clearing stock for a new SKU, it looks like I was wrong about Nintendo pushing bundles and colors before cutting price:

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=96654

September 14, 2009 by The News Team Filed Under: Wii

It's kind of hard for Nintendo to deny this one, even though when presented with the image and information above, Nintendo gave their old 'rumors and speculation' statement. This ad is set for September 27th, which means that we will almost assuredly be seeing a nation-wide price drop by the end of this month. And yes, the system still comes with Wii Sports. Thanks to DSkartmasta for the heads up!

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

famousringo, if that does happen I´ll be curious to read that Malstrom guy´s take on this...apparently he´s completely against a price cut because it goes against the Blue Ocean strategy and all that.

What do you think?..can it damage Nintendo´s BOS?

Everybody else is doomed.

Wii wins again!

Excellent. Although still needs 50€ more drop to be in price range that I would pay for one. =P

September 27th.... this is too strange.

Being too silent still 13 days before the price cut seems too weird. I need an official statement. Could be that Toys R s want to empty their inventory.

Around the Network

Begun the price wars have!

I didn't think it would happen so soon. Hopefully more folks buy all systems and a bunch of cool news games come out.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

JGarret said:
famousringo, if that does happen I´ll be curious to read that Malstrom guy´s take on this...apparently he´s completely against a price cut because it goes against the Blue Ocean strategy and all that.

What do you think?..can it damage Nintendo´s BOS?

I don't think any business strategy exists in a vacuum. Nintendo might not be directly locking horns with the HD consoles, but it's still competing with them. And the fact is that both Sony and Microsoft have been putting serious price pressure on Nintendo, and Nintendo's system sellers haven't been quite as strong on the Wii as Nintendo expected they would be. All three hardware vendors like to pretend that they aren't competing when it suits their message, but they know that they're all in the same fight at the end of the day.

So maybe Nintendo didn't implement a perfect Blue Ocean, it has still brought them tremendous success. No matter how compelling your product is, it's just a fact that you're going to sell more units if you lower the price on it.

@ Bloodwalker

A retailer special had crossed my mind. I almost put 'price cut confirmed' in the thread title, but you're right, this might be a limited offer from just Toys 'R' Us.

For that matter, it could be a hoax.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

If there is one thing i am sick and tired of hearing, it's the blue ocean strategy, almost as bad as the guys over in the Sony forums talking about the slim.

Has Nintendo every flat out said they are following the blue ocean strategy? I think they may have mentioned something about the blue ocean as a place for market expansion, but it's not like they are following it step by step.

Nintendo's business is Nintendo's own business model, the blue ocean stratgey says don't cut the price, the electronics industry makes that impossible, Nintendo has their own strategy, while they may have taken some elements from this so called blue ocean strategy, they are still the ones in the driving seat, and they do whatever the hell they want not what the blue ocean strategy says they should do.

hmm I didn't really think they'd do it, but it's better for me, hopefully Wii price will drop here as well

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!