By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - More Wii price cut evidence

@famousringo

The DS is Blue Ocean, but Wii is called a Disruptive product.

If this price cut is true, without any game to back it off... then this shows Nintendo couldn't keep the momentum properly.

But three years with no price cut sounds a good achievement. Can anyone tell me how long it took PS2 to have its first price cut? Please provide source to back it off

Around the Network

If this happens many, many people will eat crow.

Anyone that said a price cut was needed was instantly called away and told that Nintendo always follows Blue Ocean strategy and that they would bring games and thousands of things before cutting the price. Yet no one took into consideration the death of momentum and the inability they will have to reach projections without it. I will be very happy to serve crow to many people.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

I agree with trestres

Nintendo have also timed this right

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

ph4nt said:
If there is one thing i am sick and tired of hearing, it's the blue ocean strategy, almost as bad as the guys over in the Sony forums talking about the slim.

Has Nintendo every flat out said they are following the blue ocean strategy? I think they may have mentioned something about the blue ocean as a place for market expansion, but it's not like they are following it step by step.

Nintendo's business is Nintendo's own business model, the blue ocean stratgey says don't cut the price, the electronics industry makes that impossible, Nintendo has their own strategy, while they may have taken some elements from this so called blue ocean strategy, they are still the ones in the driving seat, and they do whatever the hell they want not what the blue ocean strategy says they should do.

Yes, they were talking about it tonnes before the launch of the console, much to the annoyance of journalists.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

the_bloodwalker said:
@famousringo

If this price cut is true, without any game to back it off... then this shows Nintendo couldn't keep the momentum properly.

But three years with no price cut sounds a good achievement. Can anyone tell me how long it took PS2 to have its first price cut? Please provide source to back it off

October 26th (2000): Sony Computer Entertainment America Launches PlayStation 2.

May 14th (2002): Sony Computer Entertainment cuts the price of PlayStation 2 from $299 to $199 the week before E3.

source: http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/february04/ps2timeline/index3.shtml

Around the Network
the_bloodwalker said:
@famousringo

A little less than two years after releasing the PS2 in NA, Sony cut the price from $299 to $199:

http://money.cnn.com/2002/05/14/technology/ps2_pricecuts/

So that's a steeper cut which came a year earlier than what Nintendo is doing.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Well, I have said it multiple times and this is to make sure they kill again this holiday season.The biggest loser will be the PSP Go and that ridiculous price.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
Well, I have said it multiple times and this is to make sure they kill again this holiday season.The biggest loser will be the PSP Go and that ridiculous price.

I agree, if they cut the price they will be unrivaled.

PSP Go looks like a very bad move from Sony on the other hand.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

I wonder if this is a permanent price cut, or if they are planning to phase out the Wii Sports Bundle and using the cut to move the current inventory

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

@tube82 and @famousringo

Thanks. and wow, I am impressed the Wii managed to handle it nicely for so long