By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - More Wii price cut evidence

The reason some are against it is because you guys are spoiled. The Wii started with just unbelievable demand for 2 almost three years. I spent a whole year before I saw one in stores. But, demands have died down and its hard to accept. Thus any price drop by Nintendo is seen as a sign that the mighty Wii needs help and some won't accept this reality.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

If this is f'real, I'll be really disappointed.

If only because I want to see the day where the PS3 is equal to or lower in price than the Wii and still gets outsold by it. I want to see that internet meltdown - the biggest of all time.

trestres said:
If this happens many, many people will eat crow.

Anyone that said a price cut was needed was instantly called away and told that Nintendo always follows Blue Ocean strategy and that they would bring games and thousands of things before cutting the price. Yet no one took into consideration the death of momentum and the inability they will have to reach projections without it. I will be very happy to serve crow to many people.

I wouldn't say that. Every time I discussed the improbability of a price cut I always said that it wouldn't come without black wii, wsr, wfit+, and nsmb. However, I did also always state that if there isn't a sustained pickup on the sales for these games Nintendo would do one by November.

I guess they looked at the fact that WSR, their first attempt to bring up sales, was an absolute no gain scenario but instead continued the YOY decline that they couldn't wait for the other three items I listed.

Either way, guess this holiday is going to be phenominal for game sales.

psrock said:

Nintendo dropping the price of their own console which all first place system have done before, is a terrile idea because?

Because they are conceding that they can't maintain it's value. They'll never be able to charge $250 again, and they'll make a lot less profit both in the short and the long run. The percieved value will also go down, it can never be the phenomenon it once was, and there will always be the belief that you can just wait for the price to come down (which has never been an issue for Wii, less than a year ago it was still selling on e-bay for more than it cost at retail), especially when rumours abound (just look at what that did for PS3 pre price cut).

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Demotruk said:
psrock said:

Nintendo dropping the price of their own console which all first place system have done before, is a terrile idea because?

Because they are conceding that they can't maintain it's value. They'll never be able to charge $250 again, and they'll make a lot less profit both in the short and the long run. The percieved value will also go down, it can never be the phenomenon it once was, and there will always be the belief that you can just wait for the price to come down (which has never been an issue for Wii, less than a year ago it was still selling on e-bay for more than it cost at retail), especially when rumours abound (just look at what that did for PS3 pre price cut).

People love the $199.99 price point. The PS2 sold 70% of its total consoles at the $199.99 price point. 

You guys are seriously over thinking this. 

Do consumers view the iPhone as having less value because Apple dropped its price several times now? What about the PS3? 

Lower price = more consumers, not less. Especially in these tougher economic times for a lot of families, this price cut is absolutely going to be very, very well received. 

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

Only the Blue Ocean purists believe it's a bad idea to drop it at all. I just believe it's a bad idea to drop it now, pre-holiday season. I (and others) would find a later drop more useful.

I mean, it's been rather evident that Nintendo hasn't been following the Blue Ocean as gospel. They've been engaging the whole "Monster Hunter 3" thing with as much gusto as any Red Ocean tactician might, and to be fully Blue Ocean, they would have stopped doing a number of things that still bind them to the old market.

Monster Hunter isn't counter to Blue Ocean. They may have money-hatted a core game, but the Blue Ocean Strategy doesn't involve abandoning your core market, just altering your values. It's not specifically BOS, but it doesn't go against it.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

For anyone saying they are surprised that there might be a price cut because Iwata says there wasn't going to be.......why on earth would he talk about a possible price cut months before it actually happened? That would be sales suicide. Price cuts need to be introduced rapidly or tailing off sales in the weeks leading up to an announced price cut is likely to offset any initial boost you might get from the cut.

Having said all that i think just a price cut isn't necessarily the best way to go. I would like if the standard Wii SKU was dropped to 200 and there was a replacement SKU at 250, either a red system bundled with NSWBW, a WSR M+ bundle or a WF+ bundle.

Demotruk said:
psrock said:

So what ?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

I still don't belive this is as great as every one thinks.

Gintama is the funniest show EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Proud owner of all currnet gen consoles.

I not a big wii fan

Okita the sadist.

hsrob said:
For anyone saying they are surprised that there might be a price cut because Iwata says there wasn't going to be.......why on earth would he talk about a possible price cut months before it actually happened? That would be sales suicide. Price cuts need to be introduced rapidly or tailing off sales in the weeks leading up to an announced price cut is likely to offset any initial boost you might get from the cut.

Having said all that i think just a price cut isn't necessarily the best way to go. I would like if the standard Wii SKU was dropped to 200 and there was a replacement SKU at 250, either a red system bundled with NSWBW, a WSR M+ bundle or a WF+ bundle.

You know I wouldn't be surprised if they do both

$199 w/Wii Sports

$279.99 w/Wii Sports Resort + extra controller + extra motion plus in white or black.