By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - More Wii price cut evidence

Soriku said:

Demo, the Wii's still at the same price whereas the PS3 and 360 have cut prices multiple times, and you're wondering about why there's disinterest? And despite that, the Wii is still selling more than the HD consoles. However, sales have gotten closer than before. The 360 price cut did wonders for it and it's the only console up YoY, and you don't think a Wii price cut is smart? Coupled with the great SW this year and even great SW next year they should be in for a great holiday.

What have the other consoles got to do with it? People don't buy a 360 or a PS3 as a substitute for a Wii. The disinterest is because Nintendo failed to release compelling software over the period of a year (between Mario Kart and WSR).

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network
Demotruk said:
psrock said:

So what ?

If what you want is to beat out the competition and "win the console war", then so nothing. However if Nintendo had any chance of returning the phenomenon it was, then it would need to fight to maintain it's value and price, and not concede it at when disinterest begins to set in.

Ugh... don't you see the advantage of lowering the console to 199? Talk all you want about software, creating value, or blue ocean strategy but good god just realize that regardless of what Nintendo does, some people simply won't buy one until it hits a certain point. Saying that Nintendo can produce software to make the Wii stay at $249 forever is beyond delusional. Nintendo had an amazing run at their launch price.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

All this... and only one person mentioned the benefit to consumers. I mean, i know you guys like to pretend you're analysts but at the end of the day we're all consumers who benefit directly from things like this. With this price cut looking like a certainty, anyone in the market for a modern game console this holiday will save $50-$100 on the console itself compared to last year, which is a great thing. Go ahead and spin that in a negative light for me.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

iwata didnt say to never ever cut the price. in fact he said sticking on the same path simply because your at the top and ignoraing the market situation is foolish. clealry iwata believes that the wii has reached a point where increased hardware, software and accessory sales will make more than the revenue lost by lower prices

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Soriku said:

Are you so sure about that? The 360's become more casual now with the Arcade and is $50 cheaper. It definitely hasn't stolen a lot but probably stole few potential Wii buyers. The PS3 is now at $300. Only $50 from the Wii. Casuals can buy that for whatever games and a blu ray player. But a $100 difference is pretty big.

WSR launched but it didn't do too much for HW (though I expect it to be big during the holidays). The price cut can only help them sales wise and meet their projections.

Edit: Last year the PS2 got a $30 cut to $99 despite its huge library and sold more too.

The Wii did not become so successful because it's "casual". You've been around here long enough, haven't you read the birdman article? It's come up often enough.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
The price would be appealing to core gamers too, which is why in threads across the Internet you see some people saying they would buy a Wii at this price...

I'm sure they will....

This is good and bad for two reasons.

If they do confirm a price cut then this kind of goes against Mr. Iwata's blue ocean stragety and his statement about possibly angering current wii owners (like me but it wont bother me at all if they drop the price).

This can possibly be a good thing; demand back up, more sales etc. If true then this will probably be the only price drop for it ever (that is until this gen reaches its end but that will probably be a while).

still to high for me, drop another $100 and then maybe i'd get one.

After reading this thread 1 thing is for certain.

Price cuts are only good for Sony and work for nobody else, a price drop for anyone but Sony is a sign of weakness.

ph4nt said:
After reading this thread 1 thing is for certain.

Price cuts are only good for Sony and work for nobody else, a price drop for anyone but Sony is a sign of weakness.

A price cut for any product is a sign of declining value and or commoditization.