Forums - Nintendo Discussion - is america giving up on the wii?

270,000 people buying a system I wouldn't call giving up haha. Interesting enough, NPD says it is still on similar levels of the PS2 so that can't be too bad.

I mean as I've always said this year has seen sales down across the board. Tie that in with WSR being the first big release of the year for Wii and loads of competitive movements by Sony and MS and actually you could see these sales as quite decent.

I mean it has fallen a lot but it's not like the sales are bad.

Around the Network

Nope, up 50% would mean the Wii is selling at the same levels from last year.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
Nope, up 50% would mean the Wii is selling at the same levels from last year.

2008: Nov 2m, Dec 2m.

Now - 25 % in November and + 100 % in December due to no supply constraints:

2009: Nov 1.5m, Dec 3m.

Wii would be up 50 % year over year in December.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

That's true, 50% up is not double, 50% down is half, you are right ph4nt lol. Math fail.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

This thread is kind of disapointing, I was expecting some intelligent discussion from the topic creator to justify such a thread title.

Around the Network

Using this logic America gave up on the PS3 months ago, but then look at this weeks sales. You can't make any kind of claims about the Wii's long term prospects just looking at sales from this of all weeks.

Also with regards to the comment about the Wii being back on top where it belongs; historically speaking the system with the largest install base this far into the generation would typically have the largest sales on a weekly basis. Not necessarily every week but most weeks and in that regard the Wii 'belongs' in first place. If the PS3, as the third placed machine, were to start outselling the other two on a weekly basis, that would be an event without precident. It's not a judgement on the quality of the system or the value that it offers but looking at historical trends and its current place in the market, it doesn't 'belong' in first place for an extended period.

There are already so many Wiis out there, maybe it has reached a saturation point. Between the slim PS3 and Natal next year, I don't see sales going any higher (maybe a temporary boost with a price cut or new colors though)...Which is fine, since they've already sold so many.

America is the first to find out the true value in the HD twins, the others will follow after, and japan is just..........

rafichamp said:
America is the first to find out the true value in the HD twins, the others will follow after, and japan is just..........

??

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

This will be the first holiday season where the Wii is not supply constrained. We all know that casual gamers, unlike core gamers, are more likely to wait till the holiday season to buy systems and games. So let's wait till after the holiday season to declare the Wii in trouble.