By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - is america giving up on the wii?

ph4nt said:
outlawauron said:
ph4nt said:
outlawauron said:
Senlis said:
Carl2291 said:
tedsteriscool said:
ph4nt said:
tedsteriscool said:
Millennium said:
One week after a price drop on the other two systems is not a valid sample for judging basically anything. In 2-3 weeks, the Wii will be back in first where it belongs.

And why does it "belong" in first place?

Because the best selling system should belong in first place?

Actually, the best selling system (PS2) is consistently in last place.

I'd like to know his reasoning as to why the Wii deserves to reclaim first place...

Its his favourite console. That is why.

Cause it's original, innovative and has good games?

You could say the same about the other consoles.

Umm, actually you can't.

So, the PS3 and 360 do not have anything original, innovative, or good?

News to me!

please, enlighten me.

360 made improvemetns to live, that's the only thing I can really consider somewhat innovative or original.

As for original and innovative, the PS3 is the only things that did anything innovative and that was blue ray.  Can you name any other feature that is innovative.  (Don't give me any "it was the first console to do [something] that the PC was already doing")

XBOX360 live isn't very innovative.  It just adapted what PCs have had for years and taken it to the consoles.

Around the Network

Blu-ray isn't innovative. A larger capacity disc? DVD kind of already did that over CDs. Higher quality video? That happens with lots of video codecs. Any of it's bells and whistles? They're just bells and whistles.

Note that applied to HD-DVD as well, and any other would be HD disc format. HD is not innovation.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

According to NPD's Anita Frazier it's outselling the PS2 at this time... and the PS2 already had a pricedrop.

So no.

outlawauron said:
ph4nt said:
outlawauron said:
Senlis said:
Carl2291 said:
tedsteriscool said:
ph4nt said:
tedsteriscool said:
Millennium said:
One week after a price drop on the other two systems is not a valid sample for judging basically anything. In 2-3 weeks, the Wii will be back in first where it belongs.

I'd like to know his reasoning as to why the Wii deserves to reclaim first place...

Umm, actually you can't.

News to me!

They don't though... the only innovative thing I can name on the PS3 is Valkria Chronicles... and even then... that really wasn't because it's kinda just ripped off from Phantom Brave on the PS2 with a cover system.  (Action in an turn based enviroment.)

Natal will be innovative when it comes out... nothing the PS3 has done has been innovative as of yet though.

like a few people said,

it is the lack of games mainly from 3rd parties. Look at this HUGE window Nintendo left open. They cannot complain that they are competing with Nintendo games.

Nintendo should of done some aqcuisitions of studios that went bust. ie factor 5 and free radicals. It would not hurt them. All they would need to do is give them gidence like the old days Nintendo and Rare, and these third parties could of had some awesome games on the Wii.

Problem is I don't think Nintendo Japan realise just yet how important good 3rd party games that are western oriented are for people outside of japan.

They should also bring back quality control. Screw those whining developers who complained about how hard it was to pass a game on the N64. This is what gave the N64 an aweosme alround library of games.

Around the Network

N doesn't need a pricedrop, they could just drop the bomb and announce most of the titles they have in developement (followed with screenshots) to create a megaton.

Senlis said:
ph4nt said:
outlawauron said:
ph4nt said:
outlawauron said:
Senlis said:
Carl2291 said:
tedsteriscool said:
ph4nt said:
tedsteriscool said:
Millennium said:

Umm, actually you can't.

News to me!

please, enlighten me.

360 made improvemetns to live, that's the only thing I can really consider somewhat innovative or original.

As for original and innovative, the PS3 is the only things that did anything innovative and that was blue ray.  Can you name any other feature that is innovative.  (Don't give me any "it was the first console to do [something] that the PC was already doing")

XBOX360 live isn't very innovative.  It just adapted what PCs have had for years and taken it to the consoles.

You can now purchase and stream movies to your TV with either HD console, that is quite a big change from last gen....

Sure you've been able to stream movies on a PC for a while but there's a huge difference between streaming on your PC and in your living room on your 42 inch HD TV..........

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Cobretti2 said:

Nintendo should of done some aqcuisitions of studios that went bust. ie factor 5 and free radicals. It would not hurt them. All they would need to do is give them gidence like the old days Nintendo and Rare, and these third parties could of had some awesome games on the Wii.

That would just create them financial burden if/when the times go bad.

I like the thing they're doing now - simple cooperation (like with Metroid - other M or with sega on S&M) -> greater flexibility and they can take their IP's in new directions. I would love to see what would Suda51 do with some of N's IP's

Ail said:
Senlis said:
ph4nt said:
outlawauron said:
ph4nt said:
outlawauron said:
Senlis said:
Carl2291 said:
tedsteriscool said:
ph4nt said:
tedsteriscool said:
Millennium said:

Umm, actually you can't.

News to me!

please, enlighten me.

You can now purchase and stream movies to your TV with either HD console, that is quite a big change from last gen....

Sure you've been able to stream movies on a PC for a while but there's a huge difference between streaming on your PC and in your living room on your 42 inch HD TV..........

Not if you hook up your PC to your 42 inch TV.

Kasz216 said:
Ail said:
Senlis said:
ph4nt said:
outlawauron said:
ph4nt said:
outlawauron said:
Senlis said:
Carl2291 said:
tedsteriscool said:
ph4nt said:
tedsteriscool said:
Millennium said:

Umm, actually you can't.

News to me!

please, enlighten me.

Not if you hook up your PC to your 42 inch TV.

Most people don't have their PC next to their TV and having to move it each time you want to watch a movie is quite a pain.

That and watching a movie on the Xbox360 or the PS3 is a lot more casual friendly that it is ona  PC hooked up to a TV..

It takes me 2 minutes if I have guests to rent a movie and start watching it on the PS3.

A lot less than it would take to unplug the PC, bring it in the living room, replug it, ( I woudn't even know how to plug the sound into my home theater), and then get on netflix and order a movie...Besides how many PC users even have a spare HDMI cable to plug their PC to their TV ?

Plugging your PC to your TV is still not something most people know how to do or would consider, sorry...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !