By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why PS3 sales didnt move softwares?

Icyedge said:

To theprof00, I dont want to simply argue with you but I would like to know where your information about installing and reading disc faster is from? Im pretty informed and its the first time I hear that. About electricity, you would save 40-60$ per year?!?! The slim use 1 third less, so your basicaly saying that the fat would cost 120$-180$ electricity per year. Do you realise thats more than a washer-dryer and refrigerator combine. Actually if you leave your PS3 on 24/7 for a complete year you would used 1095 kWh, and thats without ever turning it off. I dont know what is your rate per kWh, but here in quebec, canada its 5 cents per kWh. So if I would leave my PS3 fat on 24/7 for a full year it would cost me 54.75$ but obviously its always off when im not playing. I would estimate it cost me maybe 10$ max. per year to play my fat PS3. A slim would use 1 third less so I would save 3.33$ per year. My electricity usage information come from this website http://www.energy.gs/2008/11/how-much-energy-does-sony-ps3-use.html.

Au Québec, on est l'endroit où l'électricité est la moins cher.

(Quebec is the place where electricity costs are the cheapest in the World)

Around the Network
ioi said:
Bundles are counted and the software is accurate. Batman last week vs this week counts for another 200k but then the new Gundam game probably offsets that by 100k the other way. So you saw a ~300k software boost this week on 550k units of hardware sold. As per my news article on this weeks sales, I feel this points (amongst other factors) to a fair number of existing PS3 owners upgrading.

Wait. So basically youre using your 30-40% "guess" based on the assumption no human being would buy a PS3 and get a used game with it, or a blu ray, or simply rent games before blind buying them if theyre new owners?

I think thats pretty absurd.

Hephaestos said:
personnally when I buy a 3 year old console, I do it with a bunch of games.... at least 3 ^^.

yeah me too. And i use my 10% edge card at gamestop and trade in my last gen games i dont play for a 20% turn on those 3 games.

Although ioi didn't say it, I know for a fact that SW is very difficult to track. Even in industrialized modern nations with the structure in place to record sales, it is difficult. We have large SW sales changes all the time.
Others had the smallest growth in SW. Others consists of hundred of languages and political barriers so on and so forth.

theprof00 said:
Although ioi didn't say it, I know for a fact that SW is very difficult to track. Even in industrialized modern nations with the structure in place to record sales, it is difficult. We have large SW sales changes all the time.
Others had the smallest growth in SW. Others consists of hundred of languages and political barriers so on and so forth.

Individual software is likely harder to track, because the sample you get in each store is smaller and thus variability is a bigger factor. Overall software for each platform should be easier to track than hardware, because far more software is sold than hardware.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network

Did any trade in programs exist in the world? I didn't see any.

I'm still planning to sell my 40GB and get a slim, if I get a good deal.

Hmm alot of PS3 owners in japan did buy the PS3 slim...
We'll see the September NPD data if PS3 sales did have any impact on the softwares.

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

It's a mixed bag for Sony.

Their relaunch was great but software sales make up for any loss on hardware. They need more people buying software, lots to be exact. The numbers (software) aren't really encouraging.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:

It's a mixed bag for Sony.

Their relaunch was great but software sales make up for any loss on hardware. They need more people buying software, lots to be exact. The numbers (software) aren't really encouraging.

I think its more important that they sell new software. The reason the price cut and slim was announced for sept. 1st is because it ushers in increased hardware for the holiday when there are MANY new titles that appeal to broad audiences. This is where the software kicks in. Sony wont see increased revenue and profits on catalogs the way they will on new releases, thats why the timing of it was critical.

Not to mention, PSN, Videozone and Home revenues which are not only not tracked but often overlooked when discussing sonys bottomline in regards to moving more hardware.

guys, stop attacking atma, he made a valid point, and said it without trolling the PS3. Sure it's great for Sony, but we're just trying to have a reasonable discussion on the reasons for the (slightly) low software sales.

I blame Wii Fit...+!!!