By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why PS3 sales didnt move softwares?

it would be a mixture of things.

personally I would not dismiss PS3 owners getting a second one. I too am contemplating on getting a second PS3 haha. So I can see how some % of these sales are already PS3 owners.

Around the Network

In the same way you shouldn't look at the previous week to view the hardware boost... you also shouldn't  view the previous week to view the software boost. Both will give you skewed returns.

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

I would imagine a number of sales were existing owners upgrading.

Clearly some of the AA and Gundam sales link to slim purchases.

While no one older title took a big boost, many took small boosts, implying to me that rather than new owners flocking to a core title as would like happen with 360 (Halo or Gears) many new slim owners spread their first game choice over many titles - i.e. some went with Killzone, others inFamous, others MGS4, etc.

So, perhaps 30% or so was exiting PS3 owner IMHO with the other 70% spreading their sales across newest titles around like Batman or a wide variety of older titles.

The real test of SW will be whether the underlying weekly average takes a sustained increase - and I think we'll need to wait a few weeks to see that.

When the next wave of new releases hit should be informative as well, as really you'd expect to see a rise there.

I guess finally if HW drops way down then a large percentage was probably existing owners, if HW drops but shows a noticeable sustained boost then we know the slim is selling to new owners consistently - i.e. more than would have the case prior to slim release.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

ioi said:
existing PS3 owners upgrading.

So, Rol's prediction came true. Only existing PS3 owner buy/upgrade to PS3 Slim.

Galaki said:
ioi said:

So, Rol's prediction came true. Only existing PS3 owner buy/upgrade to PS3 Slim.

Yes that 550k were all existing ps3 owners. (rolls eyes)

Around the Network

They thought they didn't have to buy games because the PS3 already does everything and now they are going to sue Sony.

Phoenix Wright will be their lawyer.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
atma, I know seeing the PS3 outsell Wii and DS combined is hard for you, but you really should think before making a thread like this.

lol you act like that towards atma and then Brett comes in and states how this thread has a valid point, so honestly you should think before you diss someones thread.  Always gotta be hatin :P

OT: I've seen a lot of interest from people that either havent made the leap from PS2 to PS3 but not a lot of takers, the takers I have seen sometimes never bought a game with it even though it was their first PS3 so it's kinda odd.  Others I've seen buy the slim as their second PS3 to either replace a broken one or have one for their room and the living room.  So a number of factors but I'd say the percentages from my store seem to be around 50/50 new owners and people that already own a PS3. 

One theory new buyers are buying software while the a lot of the normal software buyers just picked up their second PS3 so they don't have the money for the software this week, which means the old buyers aren't buying the software but the new ones are and they're both cancelling each other out.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

XxXProphecyXxX said:
Galaki said:
ioi said:

Yes that 550k were all existing ps3 owners. (rolls eyes)

Is this +1 for Galaki or Rol? Rol duping someone else on another thread that he didn't even post in would be epic.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

atma998 said:
inverted3reality said:

The sales of Guitar Hero have nothing to do with it. Guitar hero is a game like rockband, it's on its own. 80-90% of people who play rockband are non gamers. A large percentage of that bought the 360 arcade JUST to play rockband. Thats why it sells more on the 360.

Can you send me a link which can proves your claim or you just find that by yourself?

I guess it would be hard to statistically prove that those who play rockband, don't play games.

czecherychestnut said:
For christ's sake its not hard to understand. Last week Batman-AA came out, causing sales to spike up to 1.2million, you have to look at the previous months sales to get an average of what PS3 software was selling, I'll save you the trouble, it was 920k average per week for August, a month where Madden 10 also launched. So in actual fact the real increase is from around 1m (average sales plus the expected sales drop for Batman-AA) to 1.44 million sales. So even with the guestimated 30% existing PS3 owner Slim purchases, you still have a big increase in game sales, which lines up with the increase in HW sales.

Also riding in the mix, is VGChartz SW tracking accuracy, which despite their best efforts, is often out by up to 50% some months. So these numbers we have can't entirely be relied upon for anything other than long term sales totals, after all SW figures get adjusted all the time, its bloody hard to track.

Atma998, what is your agenda with this thread. Because you clearly have already made up your mind as to why SW sales haven't increased at the same rate that HW sales increased. So you ain't asking because you want to find out, you're asking so you can argue with anyone that disagree's. All you have done is argued with whoever has suggested something other than 'all Slim sales are to existing owners' or the ol' chestnut 'ppl bought the slim for blu-ray only'.

Fact is, usual buying practise is for people to buy a new console and one maybe two games for it. Most of those people will continue to purchase games at a steady rate that reflects their enthusiasm for gaming and their set disposable income they chose to spend on gaming. Ergo, sales of PS3 SW will continue to SLOWLY increase as the console HW numbers increase. Expecting ppl that in previous weeks thought $399 was too expensive for a PS3 to suddenly have enough money to buy a $299 PS3 and every good game that has come out for it, is very unrealistic. Hence why SW sales haven't shot up to 2million.

First of all you totally forgot to talk about new game releases for this week (GH5 and Gundam) that helped SW sales to reach that 1.44M.

After that, you affirmed that VGChartz SW tracking is not accurate. Yeah sure, not accurate for Sony, but accurate for Nintendo and Microsoft.

Finally, you're blaming me for defending a completely valid point.

Sure! /thread /sarcasm too