By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why PS3 sales didnt move softwares?

To theprof00, I dont want to simply argue with you but I would like to know where your information about installing and reading disc faster is from? Im pretty informed and its the first time I hear that. About electricity, you would save 40-60$ per year?!?! The slim use 1 third less, so your basicaly saying that the fat would cost 120$-180$ electricity per year. Do you realise thats more than a washer-dryer and refrigerator combine. Actually if you leave your PS3 on 24/7 for a complete year you would used 1095 kWh, and thats without ever turning it off. I dont know what is your rate per kWh, but here in quebec, canada its 5 cents per kWh. So if I would leave my PS3 fat on 24/7 for a full year it would cost me 54.75$ but obviously its always off when im not playing. I would estimate it cost me maybe 10$ max. per year to play my fat PS3. A slim would use 1 third less so I would save 3.33$ per year. My electricity usage information come from this website http://www.energy.gs/2008/11/how-much-energy-does-sony-ps3-use.html.

Around the Network

atma, I know seeing the PS3 outsell Wii and DS combined is hard for you, but you really should think before making a thread like this.

5 cents per kWh?!?!? that's insane, wtf.

In Boston it's closer to 10.

Anyways, you're right as of recently. I haven't looked up the numbers recenly. When I did pay electricity several years ago, when ps3 came out, it was more than 18 cents per kWh. Also, having roommates, the pstriple was on for almost 6 hours a day. Especially when he binged on alcohol and fifa. Sometimes 7-8 hrs straight gaming.

So, you're right, my numbers are very much outdated.

As far as the installing and reading part, I'll try to find it for ya. It was on VGchartz a few days ago. This link is not official,
http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?p=1170201
but the OP for the thread in here said that the drives often get slightly faster even if the multiplier doesn't go up. It was basically the same issue with the HDD.

Ok, thx, would be great to have the threads, I really thought the drive and HDD were the same speed. About the 5 cents, actually I think quebec is the cheapest for electricity around the globe. We produce a shit load of electricity here (hydroelectricity) and resell the extra to the states and to the rest of the Canada. The company that produce electricity (hydro-quebec) is own by the government, so it sells electricity near cost here and sells the extra with profit. We pay 5 cents for the 30 first kWh in the day, and if we exceeds that it become 7 cents kWh (its in canadian so it would be even less in american lol).

"softwares"

Around the Network
Icyedge said:

Ok, thx, would be great to have the threads, I really thought the drive and HDD were the same speed. About the 5 cents, actually I think quebec is the cheapest for electricity around the globe. We produce a shit load of electricity here (hydroelectricity) and resell the extra to the states and to the rest of the Canada. The company that produce electricity (hydro-quebec) is own by the government, so it sells electricity near cost here and sells the extra with profit. We pay 5 cents for the 30 first kWh in the day, and if we exceeds that it become 7 cents kWh (its in canadian so it would be even less in american lol).

so lucky. elec here is like 50$ a month for a one room apartment.

Damn its expensive!

personnally when I buy a 3 year old console, I do it with a bunch of games.... at least 3 ^^.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

It certainly is odd. HW and SW usually go hand in hand.

atma998 said:
AdventWolf said:
Well if you compare the week before that (867,069) then it increased quite a bit. Like demotruk said, AA released which accounted for 464,701the week before the slim release.
Just guessing, doesn't a person usually buy 1-2 games when they buy a system? Especially when the consoles are $300+

Don't forget there was GH5 and the Gundam game to boost the SW too this week. I don't know for you, but personally when I'm buying a new system I usually buy at least one game to play with it, unless I'm buying it for other usage.

I spent first two weeks of PS3 ownership playing super stardust HD and digging through every single demo they had on PSN to check what's there :D

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB