By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Whats your GoTY so far?

My issue with Bioshock (the reason it's a great game but not my number 1) is that rather than create a whole new game all they did was copy paste System Shock 2, dumb it down (Less RPG, more shooter), and add pretty lighting and water effects in a new setting. System Shock 2 was such a great game that copying it still made Bioshock great, but it got a lot of undeserved credit simply because people hadn't played SS2 before thought it was original and unique.

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

Portal. Amazingly, it beat TF2 for me.

Portal.

Portal is a lot of fun. I can't wait to see what the PC mod community does with it.

BTW, how great is the end song? 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

naznatips said:
My issue with Bioshock (the reason it's a great game but not my number 1) is that rather than create a whole new game all they did was copy paste System Shock 2, dumb it down (Less RPG, more shooter), and add pretty lighting and water effects in a new setting. System Shock 2 was such a great game that copying it still made Bioshock great, but it got a lot of undeserved credit simply because people hadn't played SS2 before thought it was original and unique.

Very valid points. One point where BioShock outshines SS2 is the story IMO. I loved the setting and idea behind the entire game, I wish more devs would come up with thought-provoking settings for their games. There are too many "world in jeopardy, must save everyone" BS in gaming.

But I do agree; I think more RPG elements would have pushed BioShock into the "best game ever" discussion.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

outlawauron said:
1. Bioshock
2. God of War II (surprised no mentioned this)
3. Halo 3
4. Odin Sphere
5. Heavenly Sword

Guys, Twilight Princess can NOT be a choice. It was released in 2006! Not 07!

Both good points: I'm also surpised there are less GoW mentions, and yes, Twilight Princess cannot be chosen. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

is there a halo 3 for pc??? TLOZ: TP is from 2006, GoW should be in the list too.

Top 5 (i only play 360 for now), but i think than the GoTy will stay in this console.

Bioshock.
Halo 3.
The orange box
TLOZ: PH
Heavenly Sword

This are the games until now, but mass effect will be the game of the year.

End of 2011 (made 02/01/11) 
Wii: 99.453 m
Xbox 360: 67.837 m 
Ps 3: 60.726 m

Best Games/Serie of the Generation

Around the Network

rocketpig said:
Bodhesatva said:

Portal. Amazingly, it beat TF2 for me.

Portal.

Portal is a lot of fun. I can't wait to see what the PC mod community does with it.

BTW, how great is the end song?

Yeah the custom Portal levels should be incredible.  Not to mention I'm sure someone will create a deathmatch that uses portal guns and regular guns.  THAT will be crazy.

I have listened to that song so many times I've memorized it lol. It's on my iPod.

Anyway, this cake is great
It's so delicious and moist

Also, I agree that the setting and atmosphere of Bioshock was better than that of System Shock 2. The game at it's core though was nearly identical, so it wasn't nearly as fresh to me as it would have been if I hadn't already played SS2. Also, if it had had more RPG stuff it definitely would be near or at the top of my list.

So with Twilight Princess out of the discussion.

What are ya'll gonna replace it with?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Pokemon Diamond

^^^Only 2007 games I have got.

1. Mass Effect
2. Orange Box (because of Portal)
3. Super Mario Galaxy
4. BioShock

5. all the other good 2007 games (Halo 3, Metroid Prime 3, Call of Duty 4, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, Crysis...)

What's with all the games mentioned above (Motorstorm, Resistance, Zelda, Excite Truck, etc.) that are not even 2007 games? And would it be considered "beating a dead horse" to point out that none of those pre-2007 titles are 360 games?

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

FreeTalkLive rocks! said:
I cannot support Bioshock as game of the year because it is highly political in a way that I disagree with, it makes fun of Ayn Rand.

Ken Levine:

I'm fascinated by Objectivism. I think I gave it--I think the problem with any philosophy is that it's up to people to carry it out. It could have been Objectivism, it could have been anything. It's about what happens when ideals meet reality. If you had to sum up BioShock's story, that's what it is.

When philosophers write books, when they write fictional works like Atlas Shrugged, they put paragons in the books to carry out their ideals. I always wanted to tell a story of, what if a guy wasn't a paragon? What if his intentions were really good, but at the end of the day he was human? I think that's where the problem is.

It's not an attack on Objectivism, it's a fair look at humanity. We screw things up. We're very, very fallible. You have this beautiful, beautiful city, and then what happens when reality meets the ideals? The visual look of the city is the ideals, and the water coming in is reality. It could have been Objectivism, it could have been anything.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick