By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Another Wii core game test (Dead Space Extraction)

What's with all the hate for on-rails shooters? The Wii is the perfect console for them as you already have the gun straight out of the box.

But I agree, an on-rails shooter is not the best way to "test" the market. In fact, I don't think theirs is much interest in a Dead Space game on the Wii either considering how poorly the original did on the HD consoles. How about an RTS on Wii? Or a Western RPG? Set Westwood and Bioware to do some ports or something.

Around the Network

I understand what Stof meant in his post, but what I don't understand is why isn't there a SAME test for causal games on the other systems for example SINCE this test is suppose to be base on "low sales".

...You would think after almost 4 years market research, and TESTING should be done. I mean they made it an on-rails shooter cause they SAW that they sale on Wii. I don't get now why it's a test.

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

The test is to see if their hypothesis is correct, that the audience for mature games on Wii also own a HD console and would not buy an experience that could be done on those.

They're seeing if they make a game with core values (good graphics, cinematic style gameplay, violence etc.) that could not be done properly on a HD console(thus a rail shooter), will it sell?

The problem is that they aren't open to the possibility of other mistakes they're making. For instance, what if the market isn't looking for 'something that can't be done on the HD consoles' but instead are just looking for tradtional game values with awesome controls. Like Resident Evil 4...

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Scoobes said:
What's with all the hate for on-rails shooters? The Wii is the perfect console for them as you already have the gun straight out of the box.

But I agree, an on-rails shooter is not the best way to "test" the market. In fact, I don't think theirs is much interest in a Dead Space game on the Wii either considering how poorly the original did on the HD consoles. How about an RTS on Wii? Or a Western RPG? Set Westwood and Bioware to do some ports or something.

Westwood is dead. EA relocated almost all of the employees to different divisions, and almost all old westwood employees quit their jobs.

Most old westwood people started the new company "Petroglyph", but without their old IP's noone knows who they are, and I don't even know if the recession has bankrupted them.

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
Scoobes said:

Westwood is dead. EA relocated almost all of the employees to different divisions, and almost all old westwood employees quit their jobs.

Most old westwood people started the new company "Petroglyph", but without their old IP's noone knows who they are, and I don't even know if the recession has bankrupted them.

That's... upsetting.

Around the Network

^ yes, yes it is

I LOVE ICELAND!

Arius Dion said:
3 yrs in and you're still doing "test" games? Fuck you.

I love this.  But Arius, tell them how you REALLY feel.  LMAO

Everyone is right about this test crap.  And I agree with the other person that said test an on-rail shooter on the HD consoles and see how the core crowd feels about that.    So many posts have summed this up completely.  Me... I'll buy it because it looks cool and I like a game that's just fun.  But they can't base their future on a game that does not fill the requests of the core gamers that own a Wii for what the Wii offers.  That's just not a true basis.  I loved the Conduit.  In all honesty, if they gave me a game like Killzone 2 or Halo but with last gen graphics; hell, I'd be happy with that.  It's got to be a good game and a game that's truly wanted.  I like Sega's approach and commitment because honestly, Madwolrd may have been a  core gamer's game, but I totally past on it because I just didn't like the black and white style to it.  It may be fun and I'll try it eventually but to buy it for $50 I just couldn't do.  If the original Dead Space was on Wii with just decent graphics (not HD), I would have bought it day one.  I just like what I've seen and read of that game.  The HD console owners weren't grabbing every copy of that game.  They could have sold that on the Wii too and probably moved a good volume with Wii owners.

But on-rail shooters is not what I'm looking for.  They are fun and I buy them but it's not my favorite way to play.  If I wanted arcade games, then I'd go to an arcade instead of buying a Wii for all the other offerings.  

Consoles owned: NES, N64, PS1, GC, PS2, Wii.

Currently playing...

wiifan75 said:
Arius Dion said:
3 yrs in and you're still doing "test" games? Fuck you.

I love this.  But Arius, tell them how you REALLY feel.  LMAO

Everyone is right about this test crap.  And I agree with the other person that said test an on-rail shooter on the HD consoles and see how the core crowd feels about that.    So many posts have summed this up completely.  Me... I'll buy it because it looks cool and I like a game that's just fun.  But they can't base their future on a game that does not fill the requests of the core gamers that own a Wii for what the Wii offers.  That's just not a true basis.  I loved the Conduit.  In all honesty, if they gave me a game like Killzone 2 or Halo but with last gen graphics; hell, I'd be happy with that.  It's got to be a good game and a game that's truly wanted.  I like Sega's approach and commitment because honestly, Madwolrd may have been a  core gamer's game, but I totally past on it because I just didn't like the black and white style to it.  It may be fun and I'll try it eventually but to buy it for $50 I just couldn't do.  If the original Dead Space was on Wii with just decent graphics (not HD), I would have bought it day one.  I just like what I've seen and read of that game.  The HD console owners weren't grabbing every copy of that game.  They could have sold that on the Wii too and probably moved a good volume with Wii owners.

But on-rail shooters is not what I'm looking for.  They are fun and I buy them but it's not my favorite way to play.  If I wanted arcade games, then I'd go to an arcade instead of buying a Wii for all the other offerings.  

The bolded is exactly the reason why I kept my response short and sweet. LoL.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

They did have a test on rails shooter for HD consoles.  Well PS3 anyway.

Time Crisis 4.

Sold pretty well.

Shy of a million but had a good 700,000. Not bad for an on rails shooter arcade port.

Espiecally because I think the game was like 80 bucks or some crap since you needed a gun.

Demotruk said:
The test is to see if their hypothesis is correct, that the audience for mature games on Wii also own a HD console and would not buy an experience that could be done on those.

They're seeing if they make a game with core values (good graphics, cinematic style gameplay, violence etc.) that could not be done properly on a HD console(thus a rail shooter), will it sell?

The problem is that they aren't open to the possibility of other mistakes they're making. For instance, what if the market isn't looking for 'something that can't be done on the HD consoles' but instead are just looking for tradtional game values with awesome controls. Like Resident Evil 4...
Damn right, awesome controls is what most gamers want. They should just go on game sites where people listed the games they own, they soon would see what type of Wii games people want.with me I baught Cod: WaW on WIi because of the controls. I sacraficed all the glamour of gfx and extra players etc.. because I wanted to see how motion controls worked with it.Just like RE4, WaW had great controls. and guess what both these sold well.