By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Another Wii core game test (Dead Space Extraction)

KungKras said:
Scoobes said:
What's with all the hate for on-rails shooters? The Wii is the perfect console for them as you already have the gun straight out of the box.

But I agree, an on-rails shooter is not the best way to "test" the market. In fact, I don't think theirs is much interest in a Dead Space game on the Wii either considering how poorly the original did on the HD consoles. How about an RTS on Wii? Or a Western RPG? Set Westwood and Bioware to do some ports or something.

Westwood is dead. EA relocated almost all of the employees to different divisions, and almost all old westwood employees quit their jobs.

Most old westwood people started the new company "Petroglyph", but without their old IP's noone knows who they are, and I don't even know if the recession has bankrupted them.

I beleive Petroglyph is doing well...their releasing a new game this year and have another one in the works. What i wouldnt give for Westwood to return...

"Tell me why does it have to be so hard

to let go when it?s your final day

...When death is on it's way"

Around the Network

What people are missing is the idea that many people have an HD system and a Wii. (Look at gamefaq's current poll: 45.~% of respondents have one, or both, HD systems and a Wii.) In that case, why release the same game on both? You're either going to get a watered down Wii port, which people will hate, or, in order to keep the two versions similar, you'll have to water down the quality of the HD release in comparison to its competition (HD only titles). As an owner of a 360, I will always buy multiplatform games on the XBOX, avoiding Wii ports. And the notion of a Wii to HD port is so ludicrous (you lose what the Wii does well: motion controls, AND what HD does well: graphics) that it's no suprise that we haven't seen many (if any) of those.

Face it, the Wii and HD are just too different to share games. Again, each does something really well, be it motion controls or graphics. You can't have both, and whining and abusing developers isn't going to change that. Dead Space was awesome on HD, but I don't think it would be as good with lesser graphics. The Wii can do really great shooting gallery games, something that traditional consoles have always blown at. If they do it right, it will be a good game that wouldn't otherwise work on an HD system.

What's wrong with having great Wii games on Wii and great HD games on HD? It's like people complaining that the Sporting Goods store doesn't sell pin-striped suits and that the Business Attire store doesn't sell sweats.

screw EA. On rails is good for Star Fox. Here's a good question for EA. Why would you take a game that started of as a third person shooter, and change it to on rails fps or whatever. You know what, screw Activision too bringing Call of Duty: MW 1 to Wii and saying if we don't buy it they won't give us 2. WHAT THE HELL, YOU EXPECT Wii OWNERS TO BUY THE FIRST ONE WHEN ALL THE 360 AND PS3 OWNERS GET TOO ENJOY THE SECOND ONE?! Screw you Activision. I'll wait for The Grinder.

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

When will all these tests end?
It's getting annoying, why all the tests?

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

@D-FENS, by that same logic of yours Tiger Woods 10, Grand Slam Tennis, Guitar Hero 5, Harry Potter games (not that I care about those), Resident Evil 4, even Resident Evil 5 (ah yes, you didn't expect that one, did you), basically any and all those games that provide or would have provided a superior experience with motion control(in my eyes and in the eys of many Wii owners) , should have been only on the Wii. Right? I think some PS360 owners would disagree with that, no?

And to the point, I believe a new Dead Space game with somewhat toned down graphics but RE4 controls would have been a superb experience on the Wii. What we are getting instead is a game with somewhar better graphics than a non onrails game would have had, but inferior controls (due to its being on-rails). I still may get it, but only if it is considered a much better gaming experience than, say, HOTD:Overkill, which was sort of ok for me, but not much more than that.

@Kasz216, isn't a game that sold 700,000 on the PS3, given development costs, a financial failure? If so, the on-rails "test" of Time Crisis 4 on PS3 actually did not succeed... 

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Around the Network

I remember how the devs of Time Crisis claimed to have twice the accuracy of the Wii and such and the Sony fans feast all over it.
It is a forgotten memory now...

D-FENS said:
What people are missing is the idea that many people have an HD system and a Wii. (Look at gamefaq's current poll: 45.~% of respondents have one, or both, HD systems and a Wii.) In that case, why release the same game on both? You're either going to get a watered down Wii port, which people will hate, or, in order to keep the two versions similar, you'll have to water down the quality of the HD release in comparison to its competition (HD only titles). As an owner of a 360, I will always buy multiplatform games on the XBOX, avoiding Wii ports. And the notion of a Wii to HD port is so ludicrous (you lose what the Wii does well: motion controls, AND what HD does well: graphics) that it's no suprise that we haven't seen many (if any) of those.

Face it, the Wii and HD are just too different to share games. Again, each does something really well, be it motion controls or graphics. You can't have both, and whining and abusing developers isn't going to change that. Dead Space was awesome on HD, but I don't think it would be as good with lesser graphics. The Wii can do really great shooting gallery games, something that traditional consoles have always blown at. If they do it right, it will be a good game that wouldn't otherwise work on an HD system.

What's wrong with having great Wii games on Wii and great HD games on HD? It's like people complaining that the Sporting Goods store doesn't sell pin-striped suits and that the Business Attire store doesn't sell sweats.

Gamefaq's poll is a self selecting poll on a self selecting website. It is not a reliable statistic.

On the other hand the ESA showed statistics a while ago that put multi-console (current generation) ownership at <10% of the market. It's theoretically possible that core Wii owners fall mostly within that, but I really doubt that considering the sales of titles like SSB:B, LoZ:TP etc. Even if we accept that they do for the sake of argument, it's also possible that their hypothesis that gamers are looking for something that 'can't be done on HD consoles' is wrong and they're really looking for something with traditional game values, but also great controls. As I said in my last very similar post, like Resident Evil 4.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

What if this sells better than the HD version? Perhaps not both combined, but at least the PS3 version? That would kind of make it hard to claim these games don't sell on the Wii when the HD versions are selling little or no better. Rail shooter or not.

In that case, EA loses their "See, these games don't sell on the Wii," parachute, and be forced to make more.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
What if this sells better than the HD version? Perhaps not both combined, but at least the PS3 version? That would kind of make it hard to claim these games don't sell on the Wii when the HD versions are selling little or no better. Rail shooter or not.

In that case, EA loses their "See, these games don't sell on the Wii," parachute, and be forced to make more.

That'll learn 'em!

*pre-orders Dead Space Extraction*

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Demotruk said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

That'll learn 'em!

*pre-orders Dead Space Extraction*

Sven aside, Capcom is getting behind the Wii. They just got caught with their pants down, but then they saw games were making money on it. EA was losing money this gen, and they can't afford that any more.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs