By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii a fad? By Don Reisinger of CNET

Like people have said, these third developers just see free cash for bigger titles on other systems. I don't see why they care so much, A high quality game will probably yeild more money then lolmoney games 3rd partys keep making.

Though honestly its not as bad as I think the artical says. Its not like 3rd party's only have cheep games. Besides if PS3 still has low sales (in comparison) I don see why more support wont be shifted.

Around the Network

@Gnizmo

They look cool, but its not a gabber or a serious must-have like what Halo 3 and Gears of War and Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata, and Final Fantasy XI did for me !whew!!

But I need something that can make a bang and make me say "29 your getting a Wii today because of this (blank) game.

What the hell else is Nintendo supposed to do? It just seems like another article bashing the console maker for developers' "sins". That doesn't make a whole lot of sense and yet these articles are fairly common. Leading by example isn't enough for the Big N. They make great epic visually impressive and intuitive games, but Oh NOes! how can 3rd parties compete?! Is Nintendo supposed to turn their best franchises into shit just so devs feel better about their inferior games?

At this point I've accepted that with Nintendo this gen, support wise, it's "damned if you do, damned if you don't".

Current systems owned: Wii, 360. I'll get a PS3 when hell freezes over!... or when the price drops to a reasonable level. Whichever comes first.

I'm starting to grow really tired of this "third-party games don't sell on the Wii" mantra. My answer to that comes in two parts.

Part one, "they do sell":
How many of the good third-party efforts on the Wii have flopped? Good games sell. Even a few half-assed ones do. Plus the Wii has 2 third-party million sellers with a 3rd one coming, how many does the PS3 have?

Part two, "who cares?":
So the Wii doesn't have all that many good third party efforts. I'm more and more wondering if that matters. Cause guess what? The other consoles have no games from the biggest (and for many the best, certainly the most popular) developer in the world.

Finally, if all this generation has to offer me for sticking with the Wii is great Nintendo games (and they certainly have the money to invest in making great games), and the "rare" good third-party game, I'm fine with it. Not only that, but I'm starting to think that's plenty enough to "win" the generation. But even if it isn't... who cares?

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
KruzeS said:
I'm starting to grow really tired of this "third-party games don't sell on the Wii" mantra. My answer to that comes in two parts.

Part one, "they do sell":
How many of the good third-party efforts on the Wii have flopped? Good games sell. Even a few half-assed ones do. Plus the Wii has 2 third-party million sellers with a 3rd one coming, how many does the PS3 have?

Part two, "who cares?":
So the Wii doesn't have all that many good third party efforts. I'm more and more wondering if that matters. Cause guess what? The other consoles have no games from the biggest (and for many the best, certainly the most popular) developer in the world.

Finally, if all this generation has to offer me for sticking with the Wii is great Nintendo games (and they certainly have the money to invest in making great games), and the "rare" good third-party game, I'm fine with it. Not only that, but I'm starting to think that's plenty enough to "win" the generation. But even if it isn't... who cares?

One thing I would like to add to this is how many third party games that have been released for the Wii had realistic expectations of selling better?

Around the Network

First and foremost, Nintendo is doing everything in its power to sell as many Wiis as possible. One of the 'problems' with the N64 and GameCube is that Nintendo mostly catered to their own fans and relied on the third party developers to help expand the user base. But the third parties were never able to really help Nintendo do that and their support quickly dried up. (A lot of it came from the fact that they too often focused on the Nintendo fans as well instead of other players.)

So now Nintendo has taken it upon themselves to cater to both their own fans and expand the user base at the same time. But instead of focusing on the the traditional areas of weakness for Nintendo (i.e. men between 13-30), they've decided to try to get women and older people involved. (Nintendo could bring out Halo 3 and it would flop on the Wii b/c of that group's preconceived notion of what a Nintendo title is.) This strategy worked wonders for the DS and is having a similar effect with the Wii.

I hate it when third parties moan about how much Nintendo dominates software sales on their own systems. Maybe if they brought out a game worth owning, then they'd sell more games. Most of the third party Wii titles so far have been quick ports or half-assed mini game collections. If some really good games go unnoticed in the future, then maybe I'll get concerned.

So Nintendo has stepped up to the plate and delivered a new, larger audience. But they can't force other companies make good games that will appeal to the typical Wii owner.

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

"some walk into a room, play with it for an hour, tell everyone how fun it is, and go back to their PS3 to marvel at the look of a game."

That sentence there just made me laugh. This is how he explains graphics matter? This is the most ridiculous scenario I could possibly imagine. Let me rewrite this sentence:

"some walk into a room, play with it for an hour, tell everyone how pretty it looks, and go back to their Wii to have some fun"

That one sounds a little bit more likely to me...

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

The problem that people seem to be forgetting is that 3rd party developers have not put forth much of an effort on the Wii. Just look at what's been released. Does any think that Ubisoft's FarCry Wii game would have sold well on the Xbox 360. That was a poor effort. Driver Parallel Lines was a broken game, nothing worked. EA's Madden 08 is buggy and the online portion lagged so badly that you could not pass the ball. Also EA has made two Tiger Woods game for the Wii but the experience has not surpassed Wii Sports Golf, control wise. All Capcom has provided thus far is a port of a 2 year old game. Would any other console that depends heavily on third party support, Xbox 360 and the PS3, have survived as long as the Wii has with the kind of 3rd party support that it has received? No.

If third parties would create the core games that they normally create and sprinkle in casual games here and there to complement what Nintendo is doing. The Wii will be fine.
What's going on with the Wii is the same thing that happened with the DS. The first year the DS was released, Nintendo was the only company pushing the software. This looks to be the same case with the Wii. It's changing for the better, especially in 2008.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

^Hell, the great DS third party support seems to be JUST getting started...

W29 said:
elnino334 said:
As long as I can play next version of mario kart with 12 player online you can call it anything you want. I personally do not like the motion controls for playing games even on the wii. When my cousin and I played dragon ball Z I used the gamecube controller and after kicking his ass he did the same to even the playing field. hey it works great for Wii sports and I am sure other games but I prefer for the most part to sit, relax and enjoy the game. I like me a good story and tough AI over mimicking motions and stuff. Of course as I mentioned before I love me some mario kart and that is when I am getting me a Wii.

Mario Kart Wii is sort of a must-have and a reason to own a Wii, but I need a excellent game to make that bang for me to officially get it.

SSBB? SMG? 

But anyway, yeah, hopefully something better comes up, but it does take time, and if developers just started now (or when Wii come up), it'll still take them over a year or so... so we should see where this is going in 2008, for better or worse.

I just don't want to see as a large percentage of crap on Wii... I think there's actually more for it in percentage per month than PS2 did (not a knock at PS2) 

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA