By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii a fad? By Don Reisinger of CNET

Bodhesatva said:

At this point, we're apparently beyond the "When will the PS3/360 dominate?" articles and on to the "Well, the Wii is dominating. Will that ever stop?" ones.

He makes valid points: obviously, if third party software never sells on the Wii, then third parties will stop supporting it. Clearly, that's true. But we haven't seen much strong support yet -- and what little we've seen has sold well. Consider this: every game on the Wii that has a metascore over 80 has sold at least 1 million copies, save Madden 07. 

WTF? Only 3 of 7 games which got at least an 80 have sold 1 million copies so far. None of those to do so are 3rd party games.

1Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, The200695
2Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition200791
3Metroid Prime 3: Corruption200790
4Super Paper Mario200785
5WarioWare: Smooth Moves200783
6Madden NFL 07200681
7Trauma Center: Second Opinion200680

http://www.metacritic.com/games/wii/scores/ 

(Game Rankings lists the same 7 games with an 80 score with at least 5 reviews.)

However, RE4 Wii is a big success story, which may reach 1M. Trauma Center is getting a sequel, and was certainly a success story for Atlus. And of course MP3 will reach 1M soon enough.

So every game above 80 except Madden is a success story, for sure. But your statement was simply false.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

Another lame Wii is a fad post by a guy who sounds like an MS/Sony graphics whore/fanboy

Totally ignoring that Wii games are selling great(mostly nintendo, but that is the fault of the third parties and their poor games) 

And Wii hardware is still selling the best of the three consoles WW 

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

natedog4000 said:
W29 said:

A quick glance at the Gamestop Wii page tells you everything you need to know about this console right now -- five out of the eight top sellers on the Wii come from Nintendo. And if it weren't for Guitar Hero III, that ratio would probably be higher.

This statement really bewildered me, it's just such an obvious statement.  Why even put it there?  I mean, you could say if it weren't for MP3 the ratio would be lower.  If it weren't for air we couldn't breathe.  

Let's also not forget simple logic: Nintendo games selling very well is NOT the same as 3Ps selling poorly. Show me the avg 3P sales on Wii vs 360 & PS3, and then we'll talk.

There are different things that make each type of fanboy tick, a pretty good example is calling the Wii a fad, and I just wonder why gaming sites and blogs INSIST on posting stuff like that.

Anyways, the fanboys have had their little tantrum and once again, I died a little inside. I stay on this site another year or so, and may soul may just be stripped of any faith in humanity.

misterd said:

Let's also not forget simple logic: Nintendo games selling very well is NOT the same as 3Ps selling poorly.

Simple logic: 

Customers have X dollars to spend on games.

If customers spend Y dollars on Nintendo games (1st/2nd party), they do not have Y dollars to spend on 3rd party games.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
totalwar23 said:
Well, I'll be boring and say what's been said before. Third party developers are making big budget games for the 360/PS3 like Bioshock, Assassin's Creed. They seem to actually care whether the games are good are not. That's not true for the Wii, only Nintendo and a few other takes Wii development seriously. The IGN article also says that only Nintendo is benefiting from the Wii and that other developers were caught by surprise and tried to dish out as many games as they could to catch up. What the hell does that tell you? Do you really think that is investing in the Wii?

Fatal Frame IV, Monster Hunter 3 (tri-). T-Ps were caught off by the Wii's success. It'll take more than a year to get big games announced and out. Wait 'til 2008 before judging.

Amen. Its very early days in the Wii lifespan, unfortunately because of the relative failure of the CG & N64, third party games are not going to be that common in the first 18 months- 2 years probably. This time next year there should be 3rd party games galore for the Wii. In the mean time theres Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, wii Sports, Zelda, Metroid, Dragon Quest and pretty much the history of awesome games on the virtual console to play through. If thats not enough to keep a person busy till the third party stuff starts flooding in I dont know what is.

Actually Nintendo seems to be a victim very much of their own success. There is little doubts there is another concerns for developers. How many of those consoles sold were sold to gamers. Nintendo has marketed this machine to everyone from your grandparents to your four year old niece. Yes Wii sports is ample reason to buy the console. These people might only play that game on the console. Little concern for Nintendo they make money off of the machines, and their games will always sell to the gamers that buy the console. However how much room does that leave for third party developers.

The coveted market is the gamer market. Those are the folks that buy half a dozen games a year. Thats where you make your sales. Thats what makes sure you sell enough to make a profit. Thats where you can strike gold. Even Nintendo themselves have addressed this issue. The fear that the console does not have enough gamers. They have widened the market now they need to entice the core market. They know its a issue, and they have promised to work on it. That does however mean there is a problem.

The difficulty for third party developers is to know exactly what the demographics for the system are. They know what the demographics for the other three consoles are, but not the Wii. Thanks to the success of Nintendo in marketing, and unfortunately the Nintendo loyalists. They would have bought the machine regardless. Often only for Nintendo games. Thats why I have a Wii only for the Nintendo games.

You can't really blame the developers even we could not say how much of the current owners are actual gamers. Ironically the console doesn't even have a good litmus test. Zelda, and Resident Evil are both Gamecube ports. Hell Resident Evil is not even full price. Metroid has only sold half a million. Mario Party has obscene sales. Red Steel was a launch title. The Maddens have flopped, and the console has spent months being a barren wasteland. In spite of that the sales are through the roof. The console thwarts analysis.

The question really is this. Could the Wii be a true console, or is it a highly appreciated peripheral. Until developers see real proof to the effect they will be cautious. This is a serious issue for Nintendo. They need to prove to third party developers that it is a viable console. Lest the non gamers tire of the concept.

Not sure why people get upset about this its just common sense. We know Nintendo has sold to non gamers, and chances are your not going to get many of these new consumers to purchase anything beyond the pack in game.

Let's not forget another simple logic.

Quality of a game is like a "weight" (damn! I don't know the correct word to be used here). So:

X = number of games to be bought
Y1 = quantity of N games
Y3 = quantity of 3rds games
W1 = measured quality of N games
W3 = measured quality of 3rds games

So:

X = Y1.W1 + Y3.W3

As all of you can see, the number of N games and 3rds games to be bought is completely dependent of the quality of them.

Let's say that they both have equal qualities (complete absurd at this moment),
so, the games bought from each would be equal. Let's hope the thirds see this logic and work harder on Wii titles!

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

lets look at who has seen success on nintendo consoles. nintendo, ea, sega, and recently ubisoft. ea is special in all areas as their brand can sell games not to mention sims and sports games just plain sell. sega has been embraced by ninty fanboys as they have finally been able to play sega games. ubisoft sold to mostly people who felt like buying a game with their console at launch (other than zelda). this doesnt look good for ninty third party. it looks like their sole savior might be capcom who are making mh3 on wii (and the rest on ps3, 360).

good games have flopped on ninty system so dont even say its cause of sucky devs. and yes, i would buy a wii for only ninty games (well, a ninty game called ssbb)

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

soccerdrew17 said:
lets look at who has seen success on nintendo consoles. nintendo, ea, sega, and recently ubisoft. ea is special in all areas as their brand can sell games not to mention sims and sports games just plain sell. sega has been embraced by ninty fanboys as they have finally been able to play sega games. ubisoft sold to mostly people who felt like buying a game with their console at launch (other than zelda). this doesnt look good for ninty third party. it looks like their sole savior might be capcom who are making mh3 on wii (and the rest on ps3, 360).

good games have flopped on ninty system so dont even say its cause of sucky devs. and yes, i would buy a wii for only ninty games (well, a ninty game called ssbb)

Can you please tell me precisely which good games have flopped on the Wii? I can name some okay games that flopped, but genuinely good ones? I can think of precisely 0. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">