By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii a fad? By Don Reisinger of CNET

GooseGaws said:
@Bodhesatva:

I wouldn't even say that Trauma Center or RE4 Wii represented a significant investment; one was a glorified port of a DS game and the other a port of a GC game. They have both exceeded sales expectations because they are quality titles that even managed to take advantage of some of the Wii's unique capabilities, despite being ports. Therefore, it could be said that this proves that there is indeed a market for quality third-party software on the Wii. Key word being "quality".

Niether does, I agree. My list included games that were a significant investment OR that were critically well recieved, or both. RE4 and Trauma Center were both well recieved by critics.

Edit: And thanks Erik for the correction. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

Heck, the GC wasn't lacking in good games. That's pretty obvious considering it has the best attach rate of any game system of all time.

Post proof.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

@Bodhesatva:

Yes, I see that I misread your statement, thinking that you were indicating that the list fulfilled both of your criteria instead of just one. I suppose the inclusion of Red Steel should have tipped me off that both conditions were not met by all the games...

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Old Chinese proverb: Those who doubt Wii, have not the will nor want to see.

Make a good game and back it up with the proper marketing and support and chances are it will sell.

A lot of the reason why Wii 3rd party games ain't selling: the packaging. Box art IS important and can go a long way to making a purchase attractive.

Another reason: In some regions Wii is still out of hands reach and if you don't have the system you're probably not going to get the game.

I love it when people doubt the Wii. It looks like people still haven't learned their lesson from the past 2 years starting with DS. Still underestimating Nintendo.

Believe me. They'll soon learn.

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

'How many of those consoles sold were sold to gamers'

I imagine a lot of the people that bought a Wii actually thought they were buying a toaster then.

Who cares if a Wii is sold to someone that spends 20 hours a day playing it or just turns it on for a quick game once a week, it's still another console sold and a small profit for nintendo.
If they were losing money on each console in a desperate attempt to get their numbers up like some companies I could see the problem!
From the very few preowned Wii consoles I see maybe it is selling very well to families who are more likely to buy the occasional game than one every other week.
Having said that RE4 an old game rereleased that is going to sell 1 million+ suggests if you have a decent game it will shift the numbers.

Around the Network

I just wanted to say this. By the time the PS3 hits 10 million consoles sold, the Wii should be at about 30 million. Developers will have a hard time ignoring a system with a 30 million userbase. Especially when development costs are much less than to develop for the other guys. I guess if the Wii is a fad so is the DS.

I'm rather on the fence about this topic. I'm a sole wii owner (though I count myself as a wii60 since I play my brother's 360 just down the road), but Nintendo has yet to fully convince me that it's going to win this gen.

On the negative points, Dodece has made a few points that I share that concern me. Wii right now has only a small lead over the 360 in WW sales (which is now shrinking thanks to Halo 3). But when you pay attention to stories on the news, morning shows, even Nintendo you see alot of consoles are being sold to retirement homes, bars, cruise lines, little girls, middle aged women ect. A demographic that will buy few if any games in the consoles lifespan. And the retirement home isn't going to buy Fatal Frame IV for their patients, they might get brunswick pro bowling (which got ambysmal reviews, still not at wii sports level quality) but nothing that serious 3rd parties would care to invest money in. Same for an 8 year old girl, of 35 year old woman looking for exercise. Taking that into consideration the 360 looks alot more promising to third parties, for it's actual gamer base is probably larger than the wii's even with the wii's higher numbers right now.

Also 3p are all about money, but they are also run by humans, not robots. They won't necessarily make the smartest decisions, and may very well be stubborn. Anybody that's spent some time in the business world knows alot of companies are very poorly run, and you could get a chicken to peck at a board and make better decisions than some CEOs and ect. 3rd parties may just stick with the 360, or even stubbornly try to push the PS3 to success losing millions in the process. It's possible that they may not give serious support the wii because they are dumb.

On the positive side though I agree with alot of things Naznatips has said as well. It will be a gradual shift of support rather than all of the sudden awesome games suddenly come out in January. It will take time, the DS is a good example. Third parties love the DS now. And the cancelling of projects for 360 and PS3 to move them to the wii is a promising sign for the wii.

Ultimately I just don't know yet. I honestly couldn't make a prediction either way. I think it's possible this could end up being the first gen that has no conclusive winner. I will take a wait and see attitude towards it.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Echoing naznatips, I've seen absolutely nothing over this past year to indicate that the Wii won't follow the same track record with regards to third-parties as the DS. Remember, in its first year on the market, the DS was carried almost exclusively by Nintendo software; close to 100% first-party games, as all the major third-parties focused on the PSP. In its second year (2006), the DS saw a lot more support - Nintendo software still dominant, but down around 70%. In its third, mature year (2007), the DS is now down to about 50% Nintendo software, with third-parties making up the other half. We'll see the exact same thing with the Wii over the next two years:

1st year (DS 2005, Wii 2007): almost entirely first-party (

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

I wouldn't called what dodece posted FUD (which I have no idea what that stands for, but sounds bad). Everything he said in that post makes sense, and alot of it is directly observed.

Nintendo themselves say they are selling to nongamers, selling to the elderly, and to middle aged women. Retirement homes have wii's, bars have wii's ect. It's all over the news, and Nintendo brags about it. And they did buy it for wii sports, retirement homes didn't get it so the residents can play RE4.

The part about the Litmus test is also true, it's hard to find a game that truly measures what a "Hardcore" game can do on it's own. We'll have a better idea this holiday season with lots of games coming out such as Soul Calibur Legends, Nights, Guitar hero III (which will be interesting since it's on all 3 consoles), Zack and Wiki, and more. But what he said there makes alot of sense.

If you have something to debate in that post do so. Don't just say "FUD!" and disregard his logic. That's not being a very good poster, that's just being a FUD...I have no idea what that means.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

The_vagabond7 said: that's just being a FUD...I have no idea what that means.

Then maybe, just maybe, you should look it up.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.