By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apparently the wii is done in twelve months tops

naraku2099 said:

I don't even have to be on the Nintendo side of the fence to say this: Wii isn't going anywhere. It's the best selling video game console, consistently, right now. The reason why though, escapes me.

Fun, play WSR Swordfighting, showdown mode, and tell me that it isn't a blast to play

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

And since I've been a little serious and not directly on topic. Here's my on topic post.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

This was just one vid saying a few negative things about the Wii, its not like the entire internet is hating the Wii so don't let it get to you so much. The best thing is to simply ignore it and move on.

psrock said:
Just one note on the Bet, according to Trestres epic wii thread, the Wii is about 2.5 million behind last year, Probably more.
Now, the only thing that will help is the fact the Wii failed to release any big games last holiday, this time around its loaded with big games. But demand is not the same and Wii were sold on the spot.

This is going to a great thing to see. My vote is 21 million wiis.

It's that much behind eh?

No wonder I've not seen these 'Wii is gonna sell 250 million' predictions in a long time. I wonder how nervous people are that Wii actually won't become the most selling console in history (excluding handhelds), beating PS2's ~140 million final sales. Seems impossible now, sadly.

Slimebeast said:
psrock said:
Just one note on the Bet, according to Trestres epic wii thread, the Wii is about 2.5 million behind last year, Probably more.
Now, the only thing that will help is the fact the Wii failed to release any big games last holiday, this time around its loaded with big games. But demand is not the same and Wii were sold on the spot.

No wonder I've not seen these 'Wii is gonna sell 250 million' predictions in a long time. I wonder how nervous people are that Wii actually won't become the most selling console in history (excluding handhelds), beating PS2's ~140 million final sales. Seems impossible now, sadly.

Hm, I think the PS2 ltd is still doable. The 250mil thing, not so much...

Anyway, cool bet. I could see it swinging either way. I hope you lose though

Around the Network

@Slimebeast - I dont see how it's impossible for the Wii to reach/surpass PS2's sales. A few key things haven't happened yet - A true Wii Zelda game to draw the rest of the hardcore Zelda purists, a price cut, and worldwide different color SKUs. In essence, Nintendo hasn't done a whole ton differently from launch yet, where both Sony and MS have made some drastic changes. I won't say it definitely will surpass PS2, but I wouldn't dare say it "seems impossible". That's just a poor statement from a person not knowing the industry nor market well.

Slimebeast said:
psrock said:

ROFL, you do realize that the Wii has yet to have a price cut, or even the worlwide release of a second color, not to mention no 2d mario

Also Wii has still sold more than the DS or PS2 did in the same amount of time

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

bardicverse said:
@Slimebeast - I dont see how it's impossible for the Wii to reach/surpass PS2's sales. A few key things haven't happened yet - A true Wii Zelda game to draw the rest of the hardcore Zelda purists, a price cut, and worldwide different color SKUs. In essence, Nintendo hasn't done a whole ton differently from launch yet, where both Sony and MS have made some drastic changes. I won't say it definitely will surpass PS2, but I wouldn't dare say it "seems impossible". That's just a poor statement from a person not knowing the industry nor market well.

Sorry, 'impossible' was too strong of a word. I should have said 'seems unlikely'. Sometimes I get carried away by my emotions, but I'm very pro about analyzing sales and i know the industry like my own pockets.

Lets see here just quickly:

End of 2008 sales: 44 mill
End of 2009 sales: 65 mill
End of 2010 sales: 86 mill
End of 2011 sales: 104 mill
End of 2012 sales: 119 mill   (Xbox 3 release year.. and possibly Nintendo, but lets assume Ninty next gen is 2013)
End of 2013 sales  129 mill    low sales in anticipation of Nintendo next console, which releases in Nov)
End of 2014 sales: 136 mill (overlapping sales into the next gen)
End of 2015 sales:  140 mill (last sales til manufacture stop)

Ok, it is possible, but I feel the numbers above are from a best case scenario.

Guys! I'v figured out how Nintendo is doomed!

Nintendo goes for there daily swim at the bank in there account when suddenly before all Nintendo staff can get changed....

""LOOK OUT!  THAT LARGE MONEY PILE IS COLLAPSING!""  

Suddenly three metric tons (about 5 billion dollars) in cash collapses killing all Nintendo staff.

Hey it makes just as sense claiming a system that hasn't had a price drop, colour change outside of japan, sells way more software, as well still outsells the competition despite the 360 is already CHEAPER on a regular basis despite a bad economy.  

Yeah I'm sure Sony, who's sold much less software, much less hardware and having well basically is not competition now (hey third place does that)  gets a price drop will suddenly change everything.  I'm just going to say what I said to the 360 fanbase when they were getting all excited being there system was now cheaper than the Wii.

Just let it go.

Thats it, just let it go, Nintendo already won.  You can clearly see that when the competition are now trying to introduce there motion controls in 2010 (in sony case there second attempt)  The industry is now playing catch up with Nintendo.  The numbers they would have to sell at to catch up is not possible now or even have enough systems BUILT to meet that demand.

The PS3 isnt a bad system, I like it and will own one (INFAMOUS!).  The 360 isnt a bad system (when it doesnt break on me) I like it.

But its time to let the sales war go.

When you do, you can just go and enjoy playing games...

KungKras said:
Slimebeast, did you just call Nintendo fans cocky, and say that Sony fans should feel like the kings they always should have been?

Were you serious or did I miss the sarcasm?

I approve of this post.