By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo cut the price of Wii?

OoSnap said:

Though it is roughly selling the combined total of the HD consoles. Wii sales have dropped considerably compared to last year. It's no longer selling like hotcakes.

Perhaps selling like warm cakes would be better then?

I think the hot cake reference is still valid given the context of sales against the current comptition and historical records. 

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
superchunk said:
Nope.

Bring Black Wii and promote a few bundles.

Wii + Wii Sports + Wii Sports Resort (inc M+) for $289.
Wii + Wii Sports + The Conduit for $279.
Wii + Wii Sports + Metroid Prime Trilogy for $279
Wii + Wii Sports + NSMBWii for $289.
Wii + Wii Sports + [some other 3rd party game that's good] for $289.

Then only discount IF
1. Wii is selling less than PS3 or 360 sept and/or oct. (Nov discount)
2. Wii doesn't outdo last xmas by at least 30%. (Jan discount)

I'd add a Motion Plus+ pack to this, like the Wii's equivalent of the Elite.  Wii + Wii Sports Resort + Tiger Woods + 2 Complete Controller Sets (inc WM+), maybe even component cables.

Definitely too soon to cut the price though, it's only part of the equation.

They should release a multicolored, DVD-enabled, Wii Sports Resort w/ Motion Plus packed system for the same $250. Then cut the price of the original Wii by $50-100.

puffy said:
Nintendo aren't being greedy if they don't cut the price, they're keeping to their strategy.

If Nintendo begin to lose market share, it won't be because the PS3 is taking sales away from Wii but because the PS3 is selling more so the total HD consoles sold compared to Wii will be greater. I think it's likely that this will happen in September but the Ps3 won't be stealing Wii sales.

Therefore I think Nintendo cutting the price would be silly as it won't pull consumers away from the PS3 at all, it'll just provide more incentives to consumers who were interested in Wii already.

Yes it will. I guess you're one of those people who believe the Wii and the PS3 or not in competition. I don't think the Wii is direct competition as much as the HD consoles are but there is a lot of overlap.

I can see a lot of moms buying a console for their children and picking a PS3 over a Wii.

Mom: " I want to a video game system for my son"

Gamespot Employee: "You can get a Wii for 250 or a PS3 or 360 for just 50 dollars more"

Mom: "Why is the PS3 50 dollars more?"

Gamespot Employee: "It has much better hardware that can run better graphics and sound and you can play bluray movies"

Mom: " I always wanted to watch Desperate Housewives in HD. Sold!"

A price cut is nothing more than time shifted demand.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

yes, they're being greedy, slow sales means they should lower the price

1st of all, the latest price cuts of the Xbox 360 & PS3 probably won't hurt the Wii as much as you think. 2nd of all, if the Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 sell decently in the short term thanks to the price cuts, but won't do much to increase sales long-term, what're they gonna do? Do another price cut?

Last of all, Ninty won't do a price cut since they consider it to be surrendering their console to a drop in value. Isn't Iwata adamant against price cuts after the Gamecube days?

I LIKE REDMOON ONLINE. IT'S TEH MOST AWESOMEST MMORPG. RUNESCAPE HAS NOTHING ON IT. ;) My full Videogame collection (Well, not really that full): http://www.backloggery.com/marktheshark I'LL COOL YOUR ANGER WITH AN ICE SPIRIT BLAST!!!!111111!!!!!!111!!!!1!!! List of vg studios that've been shut down this generation: Digital Anvil Headfirst Productions Frog City Software (Subsiduary of Take-Two) Indie Built (Subsiduary of Take-Two) Wolfpack Studios Core Design (Subsiduary of Eidos) Rockstar Vienna/neo Software Produktions GmbH (Subsidiary of Rockstar Games) Clover Studios (Subsiduary of Capcom) Sidecar Studios Flagship (Subsiduary of Capcom) FASA Studio Nihon Telenet EA Chicago aka NufX (Subsiduary of EA) Kush Games (Subsiduary of Take-Two) Concrete Games (Subsiduary of THQ?) Iron Lore Entertainment Carbonated Games Stormfront Studios Pseudo Interactive PAM Development (Subsiduary of Take-Two) Venom Games (Subsiduary of Take-Two) Castaway Entertainment Flagship Studios Pivotal Games (Subsiduary of Eidos) Sierra Entertainment (Subsiduary of Activison) Helixe (Subsiduary of THQ) Mass Media (Subsiduary of THQ) Locomotive Games (Subsiduary of THQ) Paradigm Entertainment (Subsiduary of THQ) Sandblast Games (Subsiduary of THQ) Brash Entertainment Jaleco (Assets sold to Game Yarou) MS Aces Rockpool Games (Subsiduary of Eidos) Seta Corporation Humanature Studio (Subsiduary of Nexon) Ensemble Studios Straylight Studios 3D Realms GameLab Factor 5 America's Army Studio The Fizz Factor (Subsiduary of Amaze Entertainment) GRIN Software Bottlerocket Entertainment Shaba Studios (Subsiduary of Activision) Transmission Games Pandemic Studios Ninja Studio Fuzzyeyes Studio Near Death Studios Deep Silver Vienna (Subsidiary of Deep Silver) Incognito Entertainment (Subsiduary of SCEA) Matahari Studios (Subsiduary of Kuju?) Luxoflux (Subsiduary of Activison) Underground Development (Subsiduary of Activison) Red Octane (Subsiduary of Activison) Universomo (Subsiduary of THQ) Cing Zushi Games Javaground Silver Style Entertainment Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment Secret Level (Subsiduary of Sega) Ninja Studio Monte Cristo Cavia Flight-Plan Sparkplay Media Realtime Worlds Gaia Krome Studios Budcat Creations NetDevil Outerlight Propaganda Games (Subsiduary of Disney Interactive) MTV Games Bizarre Creations 7 Studios (Subsiduary of Activision) Pi Studios Cohort Studios Frozen North Productions Killaware Game Republic Titan Studios (Subsidiary of Epic Games China) Kaos Studios (Subsidiary of THQ?) THQ Digital Warrington (Subsidiary of THQ) Blue Tongue (Subsidiary of THQ) Black Rock Studio (Subsidiary of Disney Interactive) Blue Fang Team Bondi Darkworks Multiverse Monumental Games Bigbig Studios (Subsidiary of Sony) Hudson Soft (Subsidiary of Konami) Spellbound Entertainment Zipper Interactive (Subsidiary of Sony) 4mm Games 38 Studios Big Huge Games (Subsidiary of 38 Studios) Rockstar Vancouver/Barking Dog Studios (Subsidiary of Rockstar Games) Radical Entertainment (Subsidiary of Activision) SCE Studio Liverpool/Psygnosis (Subsidiary of SCE World wide Studios) Project Sora (Subsidiary of Nintendo) Black Hole Entertainment Paragon Studios (Subsidiary of NCsoft) Crave Entertainment Eurocom THQ Vigil Games (Subsidiary of THQ) Junction Point Studios Milestone Inc. Lucasarts Eden Games (Subsidiary of Atari) Silicon Knights Timegate Studios EA Phenomic (Subsidiary of EA) Blitz Games Neverland Ea Black Box (Subsidiary of EA) Terminal Reality Two Tribes B.V. Irrational Games Maxis (Subsidiary of EA)

Well it's not like $250 is a bad pricetag. But it depends how Wii will fare against a cheaper PS3. Toughed out a cheaper 360 alright but with both the competition infringing on its price point it might be a little harder. Maybe in October they will announce a price drop by $50 to put it at $200 and put a whole new marketing campaign to tag with it. That would definitely keep sales at a steady pace. But we'll see what they need to do. I still don't feel it necessary yet for them to drop it.

OoSnap said:

Though it is roughly selling the combined total of the HD consoles. Wii sales have dropped considerably compared to last year. It's no longer selling like hotcakes.

The Wii has had only two major releases this year one is Wii Sports Resort and the other is Monster Hunter 3 which is only available in Japan. This is why sales are down. The Xbox 360 and PS3 have had major releases like Resident Evil 5, Street Fighter 4, Prototype, and Infamous ( PS3). Yet they are still trailing the Wii in sales.

Secondly, the PS3 and the Xbox 360 have both already received price cuts. Yet the sales of those consoles still plateaued. What Nintendo needs to do is focus on software. This will increase sales by attracting new gamers and satisfy the hunger of current Wii owners. Price cuts only help the sales of consoles temporarily.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

If its a price cut it usually is huge (hopefully gamecube entry of 99 dollars) or even more pack in games to keep the Wii at that price.