By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo cut the price of Wii?

Well, we disagree so we have to wait and see. I still believe that these Holidays will be smaller, despite what Iwata wants to believe. They have been wrong several times before and I believe they are making the same mistake again. They expect impossible things for such a limited quantity of SW. I will also have to disagree at NSMBWii being bigger than NSMB DS just because MKWii was bigger. Animal Crossing sold 10 million on the DS and it barely reached 3 million on the Wii.

Handhelds are not the same as consoles in regards to genres. NSMBWii will be big, but it won't sell 10 million this FY like Iwata predicts, and I am willing to be quoted.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

Well yeah just because one thing happens (Mario Kart Wii > Mario Kart DS) doesn't mean another thing will happen, I just think that it'll turn out that way.

Basically I see the 4 player mode being the big selling point of this Mario title which is why I expect big numbers, for the record I think it'll have a launch of 2.2 Million with lifetime sales at about 22 Million or so.

nintendo really needs to hurry up on this...

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

I don't think there will be a price cut before the end of the calendar year. I think they might do everything else though, bring over the black Wii, new bundles (Maybe add in WSR or Mario Kart), aggressive new advertising campaign, and maybe implement a players choice line or something. I also think WSR WF+, and NSBWii will all be huge this holiday. Then I think if after the holidays in Q4 if sales are still way down from the 26 m forecast we might see a pricecut, and maybe launch SMG 2 a little earlier than expected, so they have a big title out, unlike last Q4 when they were only relying on holiday games. If they do all this I could see them getting to ~24m sold to retailers, but I think 26 is a little out of reach at this point.

Hmm... I don't see it happening this year, nor do I think it should. This entire generation, Nintendo has been holding all their cards. Just because one (or both) your competitors play a pricecut card, doesn't mean you should follow suit. It's like JanKenPon, you know they're playing a rock, so you play a... rock? That's more a hardball move, and it really doesn't do much for Nintendo. This holiday season, though, I see them playing 2 cards- bundle and color. Here's what I'm predicting:

Red Wii Bundle: $299
-Red Wii, Wiimote, nunchuk, classic controller
-Wii Sports and NSMBWii

Blue Wii Bundle: $299
-Sky blue Wii, Wiimote, nunchuk, classic controller
-Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort, with a matching sky blue WM+

Fitness bundle: $349
-White Wii, Wiimote, nunchuk
-Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus, and balance board

A black bundle will not show up until MH3 is ready, and will use the same setup as the other $299 bundles. But Nintendo has always looked after Nintendo first, and I don't see a price drop happening. It's just not in their interest right now.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

Around the Network

Perhaps a threat from Activision is needed

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

I think they should. I haven't been too interested in a Wii but my family is and a cheaper price might make them consider getting one.

But of course, they're still selling a lot of them so why should they lower the price?

dunno001 said:
Hmm... I don't see it happening this year, nor do I think it should. This entire generation, Nintendo has been holding all their cards. Just because one (or both) your competitors play a pricecut card, doesn't mean you should follow suit. It's like JanKenPon, you know they're playing a rock, so you play a... rock? That's more a hardball move, and it really doesn't do much for Nintendo. This holiday season, though, I see them playing 2 cards- bundle and color. Here's what I'm predicting:

Red Wii Bundle: $299
-Red Wii, Wiimote, nunchuk, classic controller
-Wii Sports and NSMBWii

Blue Wii Bundle: $299
-Sky blue Wii, Wiimote, nunchuk, classic controller
-Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort, with a matching sky blue WM+

Fitness bundle: $349
-White Wii, Wiimote, nunchuk
-Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus, and balance board

Wii Fit Plus is replacing Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus has every exercise Wii Fit had so they wouldn't bundle both titles.

A black bundle will not show up until MH3 is ready, and will use the same setup as the other $299 bundles. But Nintendo has always looked after Nintendo first, and I don't see a price drop happening. It's just not in their interest right now.

Also just coz it'd be awesome:

I think they need a price cut if they want to meet their fiscal year projections. I could imagine a price cut in October, just in time for the holidays to reach a record- breaking high for the holidays this year, with no supply constraints. This would massively help them get close to their fiscal projections. I believe that all their big releases will be system sellers. I also believe that at only $50 more expensive the Ps3 will eat into Wii sales slightly, as there will be people interested in both consoles but only in a position to buy one. The price cut will tip the balance in Sony's favour. So, in conclusion i say Nintendo will be following the situation very closely, monitoring the effect of the price cut/ slim on Wii sales and will take whatever action necessary acording to how much effect the cut has on Wii sales. Earlier than October if, indeed it is having a large effect on Wii sales and/or market share but later if it isn't.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

@puffy: That would be totally awesome. But I'd replace MP Trilogy with another game, perhaps even the original WS or WSR.

@dunno001: That fitness bundle is totally overpriced. A new Wii is 250$ and Wii Fit w/balance board is 90$ making a total of 340$. That would be increasing the price rather than lowering it. And no, Wii Fit+ is the same as Wii Fit but with added activities and it's only 20 bucks on its own.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies