By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo cut the price of Wii?

leo-j said:
I say that should wait and see what happens, if they lose market share, they will cut the price to $229

My thoughts exactly.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

@Tres, I agree, I don't know why Prime Trilogy would be bundled :P Definately include Wii Sports.

@amp: I disagree, Wii could sell well and be on track to meet its projection in the next month but PS3 sales could explode meaning that the combined HD system sales are high than Wii's. This means that even though Wii isn't affected, they're still losing market share. I don't think Nintendo would drop the price in this instance.

No. Price cuts are not a very good strategy. Cutting the price only leads to short term results. They will then lose profit from the loss on each console (or less revenue).

Cutting price is a Red Ocean strategy. Sony and Microsoft are aggressive in pricing because they are fighting against each other. They want that leg up on the other. Nintendo isn't competing on the same values, so they wont need to cut price.

No don't count the price the thing still sells. If it had a 50% decrease in sales then maybe.

Bring over the Black Wii.

It's just that simple.

NightDragon83 said:
Wii will be $199 by November... mark my words. Nintendo will be forced by their competitors to cut the price of the Wii once demand for the HD systems increases through Q4... just wait and see!

The influx of huge titles like Halo ODST, Modern Warfare 2, ect., coupled with the recent price drops of the 360 and PS3 is going to shift the focus toward the HD systems this holiday season, and apart from NSMB Wii, Nintendo doesn't have any other major AAA titles coming out in the near future.

Last year the Wii was still riding on a wave of popularity and the Wii Fit bandwagon, and being perpetually sold out made it the "must-own" system to the average consumer, despite having a pretty weak holiday line-up. Things are much different this year... Wii sales have been flat pretty much all year, and Nintendo's biggest game of the year so far, Wii Sports Resort, hasn't lifted the Wii's hardware sales as much as it could have.

If you think about it, Halo ODST, MW2 are games that will be adopted by that specific crowd - Halo and COD/MW fans. These people likely own their console of choice by now. I can't see it pulling in a whole lot of new gamers.

SMB4 gives something back to gamers that hasn't been had since the SNES - a platform, multiplayer Mario. I wouldn't underestimate this. Plus, WSR and WM+ are taking off nicely. With the holiday season, you'll see a lot of "holiday only" buyers picking these up en masse. Add in the first Survival Horror games of a well known series - Silent Hill, and it attracts even a different audience.

I wouldn't say the Wii is in a spot where it needs to react to the HD pricecuts yet. A black Wii would also do nicely for the "core" gamers.

Around the Network

@ puffy Next month the PS3's sales could explode? How's this going to happen? Did I miss something?

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
@ puffy Next month the PS3's sales could explode? How's this going to happen? Did I miss something?

PS3's getting a price cut to $299.99 on September 1st I believe.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Uh... PS3 price cut already happended on Tuesday/Wednesday depending on where you were in the US and if you had access to Amazon.com.

It's just that simple.

I think a NSMB Wii bundle would be successful. If they're planning on shipping 10 million copies of NSMB Wii within this fiscal year, I think a bundle is possible.

The thing you have to understand is that Wii has never been competitive on a strict dollars/functionality scale, so competitor's prices have never really been an issue to them, because if the market was treating the value of each console on a level playing field (judging them from their technological capabilities), then Wii would never have been competitive in the first place (obviously the market sees different value in Wii)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.