By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo cut the price of Wii?

Wii will be $199 by November... mark my words. Nintendo will be forced by their competitors to cut the price of the Wii once demand for the HD systems increases through Q4... just wait and see!

The influx of huge titles like Halo ODST, Modern Warfare 2, ect., coupled with the recent price drops of the 360 and PS3 is going to shift the focus toward the HD systems this holiday season, and apart from NSMB Wii, Nintendo doesn't have any other major AAA titles coming out in the near future.

Last year the Wii was still riding on a wave of popularity and the Wii Fit bandwagon, and being perpetually sold out made it the "must-own" system to the average consumer, despite having a pretty weak holiday line-up. Things are much different this year... Wii sales have been flat pretty much all year, and Nintendo's biggest game of the year so far, Wii Sports Resort, hasn't lifted the Wii's hardware sales as much as it could have.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

How about colors like red, blue, green, all that jazz, and HEAVY advertising for their games. I mean HHHHEEEEEAAAAAVVVVVYYYYYYY.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

No, they should try other avenues to maintain marketshare before dropping the price. Colours, bundles etc.

I'd adopt a wait and see approach, the slim may just eat into the 360's marketshare and steal few sales away from the wii. We simply don't know whats going to happen yet.

OoSnap said:
puffy said:
Nintendo aren't being greedy if they don't cut the price, they're keeping to their strategy.

If Nintendo begin to lose market share, it won't be because the PS3 is taking sales away from Wii but because the PS3 is selling more so the total HD consoles sold compared to Wii will be greater. I think it's likely that this will happen in September but the Ps3 won't be stealing Wii sales.

Therefore I think Nintendo cutting the price would be silly as it won't pull consumers away from the PS3 at all, it'll just provide more incentives to consumers who were interested in Wii already.

Yes it will. I guess you're one of those people who believe the Wii and the PS3 or not in competition. I don't think the Wii is direct competition as much as the HD consoles are but there is a lot of overlap.

I can see a lot of moms buying a console for their children and picking a PS3 over a Wii.

Mom: " I want to a video game system for my son"

Gamespot Employee: "You can get a Wii for 250 or a PS3 or 360 for just 50 dollars more"

Mom: "Why is the PS3 50 dollars more?"

Gamespot Employee: "It has much better hardware that can run better graphics and sound and you can play bluray movies"

Mom: " I always wanted to watch Desperate Housewives in HD. Sold!"

I don't think this conversation will ever occur.  First, wouldn't the employee inform the mother that the Xbox 360 is $200 (and this lower price point hasn't exactly propelled the Xbox 360 past the Wii)?  Also, why would the mother only ask why the PS3 is more expensive?  I also can't fathom many mom's wanting to watch HD movies as the thing that tips the scale in the PS3's favor.  Most mother's will buy what the kid wants (it is for the kid, not the mother), not what some employee tells them they want.  Maybe it is just my mother, but upgrading to HD is not a huge thing for her-- she would have to buy a new TV and then pay more money for the movies than if she just bought it on DVD and my mom is very concerned about how much everything costs.  Plus, between raising her kids (while I am out of the house, she still has three kids living at home) and a job, she doesn't have much time for TV-- and I am willing to bet that most mothers don't watch much TV for the same reason as my mother (kids plus a job).

While I believe you are correct that the PS3 and Wii are in more direct competition than many claim (including Sony), this price drop is not much of a threat to Nintendo.  I don't think Nintendo needs to drop the price of the Wii-- some great software that will sell to everybody (such as NSMBWii) and new colors will keep the Wii momentum going.   Price drops tend to only raise hardware temporarily, software increases hardware on a more permanent basis (look at the Gamecube and the PS2 last gen-- which was cheaper and which generally had more of the great games).

$250....?

Maybe a $200 wouldn't hurt.

Around the Network

I don't think so, the 360 being cheaper didn't affect wii sales why would the ps3 being 50 dollars more expensive affect it

I'd like to be like my fahter... to sire a son like myself

Elifrit said:
I don't think so, the 360 being cheaper didn't affect wii sales why would the ps3 being 50 dollars more expensive affect it

In japan, thats quite a stand.

I see no reason to.

They can release the Black Wii in the West for the holidays, and maybe a bundle or two.

Price cut in 2010

NightDragon83 said:
"...apart from NSMB Wii, Nintendo doesn't have any other major AAA titles coming out in the near future."

In addition to NSMB Wii, they also have Wii Fit Plus and Wii Sports Resort. All three are each expected to sell 10 million or more by the end of Q4. If that is true, All 3 games will certainly raise hardware sales (look for hardware to be impacted roughly 6 weeks after a title is released).

Don't forget next year! Super Mario Galaxy 2, Metriod: Other M, Monster Hunter 3 (worldwide), Red Steel 2, Endless Ocean 2, probably Wii Vitality Sensor and hopefully Legend of Zelda Wii. I can imagine each of those selling 1 million+ copies.

No price cut is required! Wii is selling reasonably well.
I don't believe the drop in PS3 and XBox prices are going to seriously affect Wii sales.
Although the Wii may be overpriced at present!

There is no Knowledge that is not Power