By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation Home (a dud?)

even exist?

''Halo reach''.. sell 7.m first week ,Believe¡¡¡¡¡¡

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
SamuelRSmith said:
CGI-Quality said:
SamuelRSmith said:
CGI-Quality said:
Mirson said:
CGI-Quality said:
Carl2291 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Carl2291 said:
Its still in "Beta" mode, i think.

Anyay, what more do you want for free?

Something good.

Just because you dont think its good, doesnt mean it isnt.

You didn't HAVE to download it and you dont HAVE to go on it, so i dont see the problem.

Its an optional, free service what a lot of people like to use.

For some reason, many people complain about a service that isn't forced upon them. I don't understand it either, but to each his own, right?

So we can't give our opinions on Home because it isn't forced upon us?

If you have a problem with the service, simple, DON'T USE IT...But why bitch about it in the interim?

I wonder though, if it wasn't a Sony service, would you have even replied to me? Doubt it...

Don't worry, we're not using it. Why bitch about it? Because I would rather be using something that was better than Home if Sony had put its resources elsewhere.

I would have much rather had those resources go into something like The Getaway, and that's why I'm bitching.

As for you second line, don't turn this into a Sony Vs Microsoft thing. Firstly, it's unnecessary, and secondly it shows weakness in your argument, having to divert the subject and actually get in with snide attacks on the personality of the poster, rather than making more arguments against the poster's point.

First off, who mentioned Microsoft? And I don't see how I attacked him, but whatever...

Second, if you would have rather had those resources put else where, I got news for ya, that's YOUR problem. Obviously, Sony saw this service as useful and many people use it. The service won't die because a select few choose not to. If you want the Getaway, send an E-Mail to Sony. Otherwise, your "bitching" will get you no where.

Frankly, I don't see your argument, the service is remaining. You can deal with it, or get no where, your choice...

No, it's not just my problem, it's everyone's problem. What you seem to be failing to understand is that had Sony invested this money into something like the Getaway, or even into a decent marketing program, they could have had a much higher return on their investment, allowing them to invest further into other projects.

It's not as black and white as "it's making money now, what difference does it make" (not quoting anyone in particular), because the initial money that they spent could be making MORE money now, allowing them to spend more money on other projects, it's a circle. A poor investment of money hinders further investment.

And I won't send an email, because I live in the real world, and I know that sending that email will be about as useful as a cat-flap in an elephant house... at least debating it here will yield discussion and people reading what I have to say.

Finally, if you can't see my argument, you must actually be blind. At the very least this would mean that your posts are also worthless, as you're opposing an argument that you can't even see.

*sigh* Let's try again....

Ok....... A. how do you know The Getaway would have been successful? You don't. You'tre putting your personal feelings in with what could/or could not have happened.

B. There reason why I say I don't get you is because, if YOU don't like a service, how does that affect everyone else? If you don't like HOME, it has no bearing on me, so how does it affect everybody? I didn't mention HOME making money either, so take that up with whoever mentioned it. In fact, my point has been crystal clear from the get go. What YOU see as a poor investment is your opinion, not a fact. For your statements to be true of the money they invested, you'd have to know the amount. Since you, (nor I) don't, that's moot.

C. You can call me blind, dumb, stupid whatever, I'm used to being labeled on here. It doesn't change the issue at hand. HOME is not something you HAVE to use, and if you don't like it, stay away from it. That's what you're failing to do, it's not a service you have to use, why complain....?

Sorry for the long response time, my parents have just got back from Hong Kong.

A) I used The Getaway as an example, I also mentioned spending more on marketing.

B) I know it's my opinion, that's assumed by the fact that I said it. If it weren't opinions, there'd be no point in debating the issues - you can't debate facts. But I will say this: it doesn't matter if we don't know exact figures - we can assume that the cost is in the millions by virtue of the fact that most projects this generation has a cost in the millions, and that the money could have seen a much greater return if it was spent on, say, marketing, or signing some exclusive contracts on large IPs (exclusive maps on MW2 would see a huge boost in sales, for example).

C) At what point did I say that I have to use Home? I'm complaining because I feel (see, I've now got to start putting in extra words so that readers know that it's my opinion) that I, as a consumer, would have benefited more if Sony had put their resources elsewhere. I don't understand how you can "fail" to see my point. I'm not debating the service itself (I can't stand it, but that's not what I'm debating), I'm arguing that Sony would have been wise (or wiser) to invest elsewhere.

greenmedic88 said:
CGI-Quality said:
greenmedic88 said:
I wouldn't have bought The Getaway. To me, that would have been a big waste of money and resources now that we're all being "experts" on which projects SCE should choose to fund or axe if they're deemed nonviable.

I don't know why that surfaced more than once as one of the "cons" of Home, considering that there is no correlation between the allocation of SCE Online resources for Home and a loss of resources from any particular title in development.

That's partially what I'm saying, we have no clue on the investments/expenses. So how can we judge what was a waste and what wasn't?

Because we're all armchair "experts" on managing billion dollar corporations here.

"WTF is up with Home?! That's it; I could do a MUCH better job of running the company because I KNOW BETTER!"

If you want to take that a step further, you can simply say EVERY game you never had an intention of buying or playing (because they fell outside your demographic) is a WASTE of resources that would have been better spent on a game made JUST FOR YOU.

Right.

And what if I do know better? Your assumption is that everything that Sony, or any other "billion dollar corporation", can't make mistakes, and that everyone who isn't managing these corporations is, by default, stupider because they haven't been given the same chances in life.

Not that I'm saying that I know-all, therefore, everything I say must be right, but I'm saying it's not uncommon for corporations to make mistakes, or to invest in the wrong things (hell, the entire credit crunch was because of big billion-dollar corporations putting their money in the wrong place, and I could of told them it was a bad idea).

Personally, I feel I am more than capable to doing what Sony execs are doing, I have the drive, and the intellect, and I'm working towards getting all the necessary qualifications. In ten years or so, you will see me in one of these positions, and I will be making these decisions - but I'm still human, and so I still make mistakes, as do the people who are currently at the top.

---

Honestly, if Sony had a time machine, and they were able to go forward to today from just before green-lighting the Home project - do you think that they would have? Home was a very ambitious project and a lot of risks were involved, and sure, people like cgi-quality and leo-j and what-have-you really like using the service, but is it really the roaring success that Sony were hoping for? Was it really worth that initial investment?

Those are the questions that we are debating here, and I am arguing that, no, it wasn't worth that initial investment.

SamuelRSmith said:
CGI-Quality said:
SamuelRSmith said:
CGI-Quality said:
SamuelRSmith said:
CGI-Quality said:
Mirson said:
CGI-Quality said:
Carl2291 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Carl2291 said:

Something good.

You didn't HAVE to download it and you dont HAVE to go on it, so i dont see the problem.

For some reason, many people complain about a service that isn't forced upon them. I don't understand it either, but to each his own, right?

If you have a problem with the service, simple, DON'T USE IT...But why bitch about it in the interim?

I wonder though, if it wasn't a Sony service, would you have even replied to me? Doubt it...

Don't worry, we're not using it. Why bitch about it? Because I would rather be using something that was better than Home if Sony had put its resources elsewhere.

I would have much rather had those resources go into something like The Getaway, and that's why I'm bitching.

As for you second line, don't turn this into a Sony Vs Microsoft thing. Firstly, it's unnecessary, and secondly it shows weakness in your argument, having to divert the subject and actually get in with snide attacks on the personality of the poster, rather than making more arguments against the poster's point.

First off, who mentioned Microsoft? And I don't see how I attacked him, but whatever...

Second, if you would have rather had those resources put else where, I got news for ya, that's YOUR problem. Obviously, Sony saw this service as useful and many people use it. The service won't die because a select few choose not to. If you want the Getaway, send an E-Mail to Sony. Otherwise, your "bitching" will get you no where.

Frankly, I don't see your argument, the service is remaining. You can deal with it, or get no where, your choice...

No, it's not just my problem, it's everyone's problem. What you seem to be failing to understand is that had Sony invested this money into something like the Getaway, or even into a decent marketing program, they could have had a much higher return on their investment, allowing them to invest further into other projects.

It's not as black and white as "it's making money now, what difference does it make" (not quoting anyone in particular), because the initial money that they spent could be making MORE money now, allowing them to spend more money on other projects, it's a circle. A poor investment of money hinders further investment.

And I won't send an email, because I live in the real world, and I know that sending that email will be about as useful as a cat-flap in an elephant house... at least debating it here will yield discussion and people reading what I have to say.

Finally, if you can't see my argument, you must actually be blind. At the very least this would mean that your posts are also worthless, as you're opposing an argument that you can't even see.

Ok....... A. how do you know The Getaway would have been successful? You don't. You'tre putting your personal feelings in with what could/or could not have happened.

B. There reason why I say I don't get you is because, if YOU don't like a service, how does that affect everyone else? If you don't like HOME, it has no bearing on me, so how does it affect everybody? I didn't mention HOME making money either, so take that up with whoever mentioned it. In fact, my point has been crystal clear from the get go. What YOU see as a poor investment is your opinion, not a fact. For your statements to be true of the money they invested, you'd have to know the amount. Since you, (nor I) don't, that's moot.

C. You can call me blind, dumb, stupid whatever, I'm used to being labeled on here. It doesn't change the issue at hand. HOME is not something you HAVE to use, and if you don't like it, stay away from it. That's what you're failing to do, it's not a service you have to use, why complain....?

A) I used The Getaway as an example, I also mentioned spending more on marketing.

B) I know it's my opinion, that's assumed by the fact that I said it. If it weren't opinions, there'd be no point in debating the issues - you can't debate facts. But I will say this: it doesn't matter if we don't know exact figures - we can assume that the cost is in the millions by virtue of the fact that most projects this generation has a cost in the millions, and that the money could have seen a much greater return if it was spent on, say, marketing, or signing some exclusive contracts on large IPs (exclusive maps on MW2 would see a huge boost in sales, for example).

C) At what point did I say that I have to use Home? I'm complaining because I feel (see, I've now got to start putting in extra words so that readers know that it's my opinion) that I, as a consumer, would have benefited more if Sony had put their resources elsewhere. I don't understand how you can "fail" to see my point. I'm not debating the service itself (I can't stand it, but that's not what I'm debating), I'm arguing that Sony would have been wise (or wiser) to invest elsewhere.

@SamuelRSmith

with your statement you just stated signing Exclusive on large Ip's..think about that for a sec. Sony with Home is already doing that think about the very fact that the Enviroment within Home is setup for such that very reason you just pointed out. just think Gamer's are already paying for clothes for their Home Avatar's. Not just on Sony IP's also other Companies IP's. Virtual Items generate not only money but more advertisement because it's in Home and Gamer's have been buying content from sony an their other content holder's in Home. 

EA : sports

CAPCOM

Big Companies with IP's.

your Quote:

we can assume that the cost is in the millions by virtue of the fact that most projects this generation has a cost in the millions, and that the money could have seen a much greater return if it was spent on, say, marketing, or signing some exclusive contracts on large IPs(exclusive maps on MW2 would see a huge boost in sales, for example) 

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

joeorc said:
SamuelRSmith said:
CGI-Quality said:
SamuelRSmith said:
CGI-Quality said:
SamuelRSmith said:
CGI-Quality said:
Mirson said:
CGI-Quality said:
Carl2291 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Carl2291 said:

Something good.

@SamuelRSmith

with your statement you just stated signing Exclusive on large Ip's..think about that for a sec. Sony with Home is already doing that think about the very fact that the Enviroment within Home is setup for such that very reason you just pointed out.

CAPCOM

Big Companies with IP's.

your Quote:

we can assume that the cost is in the millions by virtue of the fact that most projects this generation has a cost in the millions, and that the money could have seen a much greater return if it was spent on, say, marketing, or signing some exclusive contracts on large IPs(exclusive maps on MW2 would see a huge boost in sales, for example) 

Good point.

Though I will rebuttal it with: How big of a boost in sales has getting EA Sports, Capcom, etc, to make this exclusive Home content? I mean, how many copies of their games, and how many consoles did this push? However, what if Sony had spent the money on getting some kind of exclusive content for Madden, or Street Figher/Resident Evil... how many sales would this have pushed?

And I think this is the crux of our argument. I believe that they would have benefited more from the second statement, rather than through the first.

Around the Network

it's just too slow.

maybe it's not as busy now, i guess i should try it again.

PSN ID: TheSimkin

GamerTag: TheSimkin

WII friend Code: 0002 7972 4522 2681

SamuelRSmith said:
joeorc said:
SamuelRSmith said:
CGI-Quality said:
SamuelRSmith said:
CGI-Quality said:
SamuelRSmith said:
CGI-Quality said:
Mirson said:
CGI-Quality said:
Carl2291 said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Carl2291 said:

Something good.

@SamuelRSmith

with your statement you just stated signing Exclusive on large Ip's..think about that for a sec. Sony with Home is already doing that think about the very fact that the Enviroment within Home is setup for such that very reason you just pointed out.

CAPCOM

Big Companies with IP's.

your Quote:

Good point.

Though I will rebuttal it with: How big of a boost in sales has getting EA Sports, Capcom, etc, to make this exclusive Home content? I mean, how many copies of their games, and how many consoles did this push? However, what if Sony had spent the money on getting some kind of exclusive content for Madden, or Street Figher/Resident Evil... how many sales would this have pushed?

And I think this is the crux of our argument. I believe that they would have benefited more from the second statement, rather than through the first.

its the same IDEA which would you rather have a quick upfront sale's or sustained sales over the long haul?

looking at the front loaded sales is not always the best to see how the trend's will alway's go. its a good guide but like so many thing's you have no idea how it will turn out until it does.

for instance Sony in home :

has many companies all getting content, into Home which for all intent's and purpose advertising, now take into account you have a stream of money from 1 IP or many small IP's all generating money. Sony took all the small IP's over the larger IP . and i do not Blame them because this race is not about who can get to the finish first . its about who can make the most sustained profit.

does that mean they may fail at that ..sure but we will never know until its over and done with , but currently there are more companies signing up for Home spaces not decreasing. there are 22 companies all signed up for the PSN than Add in Home. the investment for that is spread out among many companies instead of a single company eating all the cost themselves.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

To be honest, I was expecting home to be like a massively-multiplayer Animal Crossing-type thing. Too bad...

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

I like Home but I can't go on it cause it freezes everytime at the message of the day screen. I might need to get a new PS3.

I have a better way to social netwok... it's called playing KZ2 with my bro and friends.

4 ≈ One