By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo has no idea why core titles don't sell (and more)

9Chiba said:
^hardcore gamers or just you and your "buds"?

I actually still have my wii.

Times Banned: 12

Press----------------> <----------------Press

Around the Network

Well i think the games do not sell amazing because we havent seen a big third party effort on the Wii yet. Games that sold well on PS360 this year were titles like RE5 , SF IV games with extremely high budget, a lot of hype, that are very well known to gamers. MH 3 will be this sort of game for the Wii in Japan and it will sell extremely well.

Madworld sold poorly because of its character and appeal.

I had high hopes for Conduit but it flopped commercialy, mainly because the game simply is not as good as people expected. HVS created an engine, but the game itself is not that great so its hard to expect high sales.

If Wii gets a big Third Party game it will sell regardless of how "casual" is the userbase.

Its funny that no one discusses how many "average" games perform really badly on HD (and Conduit is an average game ) consoles, and people concentrate only on those blockbusters that sell well.

^

^ pic

Undying said:

I actually still have my wii.

Undying is not Hardcore: confirmed.

Bet you bought Wii Music, didn't you?

I always thought something like that happened xD, there is a hardcore market on the wii, the problem is half of them sold/stored their Wiis soon after they got it and finished Metroid 3 and RE4, thats the only explanation for the poor hc sells, Madworld is above average and Conduit is not half as bad as some people claim, the campaig mode is short and ... it sucks lol, but the multiplayer has a perfect combination of controls, graphic, and good online gameplay

This is how the wii market looks like

50% casuals/non-gamers 35% nintendo fans 15% other gamers who claim to be hardcore but are actually hype fans (or something of sorts)

The first part is way more than pleased, the second part is waaaaaaay more than pleased, but the third part fucked up from the beggining since the Wii got 2 hc game each year since it began

Nintendo is the best videogames company ever!

Around the Network
Ryudo said:
sguy78 said:
Better games equal better sales.

Then I would have Shenmue III by now if that were always true.

I think the problem with Shenmue is they pissed away too much money developing it.

Gamerace said:
Graves said:
famousringo said:
JGarret said:
sguy78 said:
Better games equal better sales.

Sadly, not always.

So true.

The process of making a game and bringing it to market is alchemy. Even using the same formula twice won't guarantee similar results.

When it comes to core games, it won't sell unless people genuinely enjoy it. Just because a game gets good scores doesn't mean the masses will enjoy it.

Even a thoroughly enjoyable game can still bomb if marketed poorly or if the title is too 'out there' (Psychonauts anyone?), too artsy (Okami), or a dozen other reasons.   Many great games that the masses would have enjoyed have been left largely undiscovered.  Only guarantee for success is having 'Mario, Wii, Halo or Modern Warfare' in the name.

That's bullshit. You assume everyone who plays Psychonauts and Okami loves it. Personally I didn't enjoy either.

Games like Mario, Halo, and CoD are just fun. That's something Psychonauts and Okami lack.

Madworld is far from deep,

Zack and wiki / Tenchu / No More Heroes are games that should be mentioned more.
also silent hill shattered memories is looking awesome

Graves said:

That's bullshit. You assume everyone who plays Psychonauts and Okami loves it. Personally I didn't enjoy either.

Everybody stay back! He might be contagious!

Halo was boring to me. I found Okami very fun.